Going to St. John's College early

<p>I am considering going to St. John's College (in Maryland) early. I am currently a Sophomore in high school, but I am far superior to the students in the 10th grade class at school. I am considering going to St. John's after this year. I would be starting at 16. I love the "Great Books", and I think that academically, St. John's would be a great fit for me. I have 3 concerns.
1. Are conservative views respected at St. John's? I am ultra-conservative economically, and someqhat conservative socially. I'm fine with being around liberals, as long as they respect my views.
2. How do people dress at St. John's? I am very preppy. I usually wear mostly Ralph Lauren polos and slacks. Would I be fine at St. John's?
3. If I start at St. John's when I am 16, I would be done by the age of 20. Would Harvard or Yale law accept a 20 year old?</p>

<p>Wow. I think that if you are worrying about what clothes the students are wearing and have to name drop brands it indicates immaturity, not to mention insecurity socially. I suggest you will be more ready when this sort of thing doesn’t matter to you.</p>

<p>I think you will find the students very liberal thinkers, but that doesn’t mean there can’t be mutual respect. Almost all colleges will be moderate to very liberal, so you can expect to be a minority unless you pick some of the more conservative or religious colleges or bible schools.</p>

<p>I think you should more be concerned that you will be adding depth and the maturity necessary to have discussions on the material. Do they admit 16 year olds, did you ask yet?</p>

<p>Particular law schools may or may not accept you, period. It is going to have a lot to do with your gpa and your LSAT.</p>

<p>Yes they do admit 16 year olds. I spoke with the admissions officer for about an hour and a half, and he said he thought I would make a wonderful candidate. Also, I’m not immature. I just don’t want to go to a college where kids wear their pajamas to class. Another question: what are the girls like at St. John’s? Again, I am not asking because of immaturity, I am simply asking because I want to understand what the students are like at the school before I decide to attend.
Thanks</p>

<p>Well, if you take this as a casual internet forum, I will chime in.</p>

<p>I was curious about St. Johns, and when I was in Annapolis for other reasons I happened across some students and chatted with them briefly. Would they show up to class in their PJs? I think yes, they would. I think the atmosphere would welcome different viewpoints; and Annapolis has a bit of a conservative vibe to it (as well as a heavy touristic vibe). Certainly more so than New Mexico.</p>

<p>These are people who choose to self-study the great works with tutors and discussion sessions. That type of education does not typically draw the buttoned-down type who prefers efficiency, control, and neatness. I think messiness is pretty much a part of the process as is independence of thought and action/behavior.</p>

<p>One of the more conservative people I have on my FB graduated from St. John’s. I think it is welcoming of all. I would recommend that you shadow a student and spend two days and an overnight going to classes and checking out the place for yourself. I have heard they are re-vamping a bit and that the two campuses have distinctly different cultures.</p>

<p>I think the age thing will be immaterial to everyone except you.</p>

<p>I too will chime in. Our son attends St John’s and we have had the opportunity to sit it on classes and observe the students in both formal and casual settings. To your questions:</p>

<p>1) The students we’ve met and listened to seemed to represent a large swath of the political spectrum. I think you will find that Johnnies care little about one’s ideology, and that respect for any position is earned through insightful, well-reasoned thought and analysis. I suspect doctrinaires of any stripe would have a hard time at St. John’s.</p>

<p>2) The students we saw at St John’s dressed like students at most colleges (but no where as preppy as those at Amherst College or Swarthmore.) However, some students dress up a bit more (coat and/or tie) for the Tuesday and Thursday night seminars (this is not mandatory but more of a tradition). And you will find some very natty attire at the frequent Swing Dance soirees.</p>

<p>3) I think you know that is a question for Harvard and Yale. However President Nelson (a former lawyer) often states that a St John’s education is ideal for those interested in law.</p>

<p>I would second what the others have said. In particular I would agree with “ItsJustSchool” about the Annapolis “vibe” and the independence of thought. More importantly take their advice about visiting St John’s on one of their weekends for prospective students. You will be able to experience the pedagogical approach of a St. John’s class and seminar and observe the Johnnies in their natural habitat. Because St John’s is so different, I suspect you will surely know whether or not you would feel at home in that environment. </p>

<p>Good Luck and don’t be in too much of a hurry to attend Harvard or Yale, instead let them wait for you.</p>