Golf at Bama

<p>Any golfers out there? D loves to golf. It’s probably the only reason she’s looking at schools in the south (the season isn’t very long in northern Illinois). I’ve seen a little bit of info about golf on the UA website, but nothing about intramurals (beyond one tournament), clubs, etc. Is there any organized golf other than the varsity golf teams? Are there a lot of students who golf regularly? Is she likely to find other students with whom to play? She’s shy and not at all an outgoing person, FWIW, and doesn’t like to go to a course by herself and just join a random threesome, so something organized where she could meet other golfers would be ideal. Anyone know?</p>

<p>[Student</a> Affairs | University Recreation Center](<a href=“http://urec.ua.edu/intramuralgolf.cfm]Student”>http://urec.ua.edu/intramuralgolf.cfm)</p>

<p>I would call these numbers to find out what’s offered and/or how to start a group.</p>

<p>My D is a golfer and brought her clubs down last fall. There had been a signup for an honors college intramural team, but she never heard anything back and in the newness of everything she never followed up. She brought her clubs back home @ Christmas & didn’t bring them back for the Spring.</p>

<p>Part of the problem is that she doesn’t have a car on campus. If there was an intramural team & she could get a ride, she’d participate. There is a 1 credit golf class that is on the schedule as well. </p>

<p>Plug for Alabama at Oxford: a group of the kids over there made the trek to Sandwich to see the final day of the British Open. It seems to coincide with the program almost every year.</p>

<p>Golf is VERY popular at Alabama (and in Alabama). The spring and fall offer perfect golfing weather (summer, not so much). The problem is that there is no course on-campus or nearby. The university’s official golf course was closed a few years ago (not that it was all THAT close); now the golf team’s home course is the city municipal golf park (but it’s a nice muni, make no mistake) 5+ miles away. Tuscaloosa has plenty of good courses that are open to the public, but they are all driving distance away. The golf courses taught are all off-campus at one of the golf courses.</p>

<p>Off campus wouldn’t be a problem as D would have a car, and the closest course to our home is further than 5 miles so that wouldn’t be a big deal to her. I’m mostly concerned with her having a way to find others who’d like to play with her.</p>

<p>DD was scheduled to actually take a class last year but ended up dropping due to a research opportunity. </p>

<p>Here is the class info</p>

<p>uanews.ua.edu/…/ua-students-to-tee-off-thanks-to-grant-from-ryder…</p>