Good Dorm Location for English/Art/Psych.

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>Im working on making my dorm selections for next year. Liz Waters and Chadbourne look like good ones, but I know its a lottery too. Looking on the online map, its hard to tell what buildings would have the majority of my type of classes for Art/English/Psych studies?</p>

<p>I know that location isn't the only thing, but just trying to get my bearings.</p>

<p>Bradley also looks interesting, but seems secluded. Is that just a perception? I hope to go visit campus again in the next few weeks too.</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>DJD</p>

<p>Your first priority is where you want to live. First decide which area of campus most appeals to you, Lakeshore or Southeast. Then rank dorms within the area of choice before the others. Use the UW Res Halls website for information (and your brochure). Each dorm has differences that may or may not matter to you. It is worth the walk to live near the lake if you want the more spread out trees/grass area. Bradley is just across a narrow street from some of the Kronshage houses and other dorms, no further to the dining hall, not secluded like I also once thought. </p>

<p>Do not worry about where your classes are, it is more important to be happy in the place you spend your outside of class time than to have a short walk. Liz is convenient and also one of the most popular dorms, don't plan on getting it but rather be pleased if it is your first choice and you do get it. You also can't count on your section of a particular class to be in the building you expect it to be in unless it is one of the sections given in a dorm.</p>

<p>Every dorm has pros and cons, whatever advantage in one aspect a building has another one will beat it in some other way. High/low rise buildings. New, middle aged, old. Close to the snack bar, a dining hall, carryout. You can see the multiple issues and you need to go through the literature and decide your priorities. I knew I liked Lakeshore eons ago and lived there, even though good friends were in Barnard (way too old for my tastes) a distance from me, we ate at both ends of campus...</p>

<p>It is a tough decision, too many choices and building styles it may seem. You will be able to revise your rankings next spring before assignments are made so don't worry about changing your mind.</p>

<p>Google Earth and street view can help you with real pictures of the campus area, the street view was taken more than a year ago.</p>

<p>I lived in Chadbourne which is right next to the humanities building, Bascom hill and library mall. For convenience, you can't beat that location. They had a weird summer camp setup though with planned events and field trips. I took advantage of some of them but it didn't blow me away. All of the dorms are more convenient than the places you will live for your second year through graduation.</p>