Good Grades-Fair test scores-Good Rank

<p>Hey everyone,</p>

<p>I'm having a difficult time determining if I am even competitive for TAMU as OOS student.
I don't see myself improving ACT above 26, so auto admit will not be a factor. I have visited the school and been in contact with admissions. </p>

<p>2013 grad</p>

<p>Class rank: 1/515
GPA: 4.0 unweighted (school does not weight)
ACT: 24</p>

<p>6 AP, 5 honors
Letters in track/cross country
Fresman class president
Sophomore vice president
Junior vice president
Student Body vice president
Spanish club
NHS
Key Club</p>

<p>So the big question is: Can rank, grades, leadership and EC's overcome my marginal test scores. </p>

<p>Well let me know what you think.</p>

<p>You will definitely get in with ur class rank even if u are OoS. Just get your ACT scores up.</p>

<p>Maybe try the SAT or a review course (or both) with everything else you would be able to get a scholarship if you get the scores up which would be worth the investment. A $1000 TAMU scholarship gets you instate tuition - worth the time & money! Plus there are rolling admissions & auto admits are taking many of the spots for the various majors that are popular. Good luck!</p>

<p>Thank you for reply.</p>

<p>I’m not sure what’s up with scores. I don’t feel dumb. At any ratei have taken a test prep for ACT (still have trouble finishing test, slower reader) and will retake in June. Also have SAT scheduled, maybe that will do trick. Currently just planning for worst. Trying to get feel for where I stand with current stats.</p>

<p>I think I get what you’re asking --try to post under what was the lowest ACT/SAT that got full admission – I think that’s the stat you’re really looking for. Since only 4%-6% of the students are OOS, I would just ask everyone since you’ll be competing with instate pool as well. Just ask if they were a top 10% (no requirement for min. test scores) or OOS.</p>

<p>AGmom, </p>

<p>That is exactly what I am asking! I will repost with more specific question. Thanks for your insight.</p>

<p>I’m a slow reader and did significantly worse on the act because of it. Id say to read an sat review book and you can probably do surprisingly well on it.</p>

<p>Get your ACT up fast!!!</p>

<p>It seems us two are quite similar:</p>

<p>I, like yourself, was Valedictorian. I had a 4.0 (unweighted). I was student council body VP, as well as Class President (Senior Year), Class Treasurer (Junior Year), Class VP (Soph.). I played Varsity Football, Basketball, Tennis and Baseball all four years in High School. But I was not accepted into Engineering. I even had 5 math classes (including Calculus) with averages of 95 or higher. I took all Honors classes, and a couple Dual Credit classes. I even applied early in September. My ACT was a 29. They placed me into General Studies and I, ofcourse, declined them almost immediately. I had better choices like Iowa State or Purdue, who accepted me almost immediately into the program.</p>

<p>Morale of the story:
If you really want to get in, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get your ACT up!! :)</p>

<p>PS - I applied for Aero Engineering in case you were wondering.</p>

<p>You will be fine…I mean of course it wouldn’t hurt to improve your ACT score but many schools will overlook that if you have good ECs and Grades. I applied this September and was accepted to the Engineering program by mid-December. Top 7% of my class, 26 ACT, not nearly as many ECs as you but a few. I think that even if you can get a 25 you’ll be OK. Don’t listen to the people that say you can’t get in with a good ACT score. It doesn’t help, but if everything else stands out they will realize that. Also, if you are really passionate about TAMU, contact them! They remember students that show interest in the school. I had 2 official campus visits before I applied and I’m out of state as well.</p>