Good Pre-Med Schools

<p>BDM,
Many things that you said to cross off and/or ignore has worked very well for my D. (UG senior next year). We do not know whole story yet as she will apply (or not) to Med. school in few weeks after taking MCAT and receive her score. However, so far so good. Everything else has been taking care at the highest possible level … although at state school. That includes being in combined bs/md that currently is giving her great peace of mind while some of pre-meds around her are in panicky mode more or less. </p>

<p>I believe, all points are very personal. D. (as one example) really prefers to be as close to home as possible. Now she is 3.5 hours away, her #1 choice for Med. School is 1 hour away, and she refuses to even consider anything more than 4 hours away despite of strong recommendations from her pre-med advisor. But again, it is way too early to decide this part now, she might just go to Med. School in her program (the only objection she has is urban location).</p>

<p>Alright heres my situation. I’m going to otterbein university, but I have recently decided I want to become an optometrist. So that means I will need to transfer, I have narrowed it down to Miami University and University of Cincinnati. Dont know which to choose. Someone please help me out</p>

<p>I got accepted to FIU lately, but I was weondering of it is a good school for pre-med</p>

<p>ohiostate22,
These are very different schools. It depends on what you are looking for to have at college. People who like OSU, get turned off by Miami usually. Cinci would be somewhat closer. Miami is a very pretty campus in a middle of nowwhere and this attracts some people. Research on-line, ask thru emails, call, visit, ask questions personally, then decide.</p>

<p>um…i narrowed my schs to gtown and gwu…which sch has the better pre-med program??</p>

<p>What are some pre-med schools/programs that are on a similar level to WUSTL and Northwestern?</p>

<p>What pre-med offering universities would be a good match for someone whose average grade was around a B- to B grade? (It’s me yes haha, my school doesn’t show GPA and I am guessing my grades are around that corner)
I am asking because most of you mentioned in this thread that it is important to actually go to a university to which you feel academically capable instead of being the ‘dumb’ one in class, as I would be going to an ivy league probably. I have these grades because I don’t really devote myself enough, but at university I know I will study hard and give it my best, which I know I can push up to an A…
I just don’t want suggestions of really ‘liberal’ (in terms of the level of the students they accept) university, because I feel that if I go to an university with students with different aims of grades and future med school, I know that that won’t motivate me to do my best… :/</p>

<p>You will have to do your very best at any college in the USA to be seriously considered for Med. School. Forget motivation or whatever HS kids’ stuff. People work very hard, your college GPA need to be at least around 3.6+, classes are extremely challenging anywhere you go. B- to B level of college GPA will not be enough to apply to Med. School.</p>

<p>My S finished his first year at one of the top 20 universities. We are talking about him transferring to our state university this coming fall for a number of reasons. We still do not know his financial aid package. How is it going to be viewed on his medical school application going from a top university to a state university?</p>

<p>Isabella…you should go to UST.</p>

<p>BDM noted above:</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>How true this is…even some parents above has asked about Stanford, UCLA, USC, UCB, etc. here in California as if acceptance at these schools is a slam dunk.</p>

<p>Folks, these schools are now more than ever EXTREMELY difficult to get into. If you are over 40, it is NOT the same world as we went to college. My son graduated 3 years ago as one of 5 valedictorians in his class and had a good score on the SAT. He was rejected by all of those universities except for a standby acceptance from USC - if they got a cancellation - only because I happen to hold a masters from there. </p>

<p>He is of mixed race, and he probably should have noted that on his app…it might have helped…Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your perspective, that is one aspect of the process too…one that no one wishes to discuss in polite company.</p>

<p>We must not be polite, because we discuss it all the time. ;)</p>

<p>I agree, definitely need to use all your cards, whatever you have in your hands. I know what is going on, kids with connections get ahead of everybody anyway. So, got to play the game the way it is, forget about morals. My own D. has nothing, I tell her all the time if you want to be the 3rd in line after connected and URMs, continue doing what you are doing - working your butt off. There are situations that we cannot control, no reason to get personal about it. You either use it or keep it in mind. Cannot get upset or embarassed about something that you cannot change.</p>

<p>So the general consensus is that its best to go to a school where you’d be a top student at (or Ivies if possible) and get a good GPA, correct? (of course you have to like the school too)</p>

<p>stats;
gpa: 3.8
SAT: 2250
sat ii: 800 math ii/ 750 physics
ecs: the typical volunteering, clubs, tutoring, sports, nhs, and that kind of stuff.</p>

<p>so with my stats, what level of schools should i be looking into to be one of the top students? For example, should i be aiming at schools with SAT ranges like 550-650 or lower like 500-610??</p>

<p>i should also try to find schools that have research opportunities, correct?</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/1064546787-post336.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/1064546787-post336.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>

</p>

<p>mmmmk, so schools that are around my level. but after reading <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/19444-best-premed-programs.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/19444-best-premed-programs.html&lt;/a&gt; sakky’s general advice was basically go where you’d get a high gpa (whether it be one of the ivies that have good grade inflation or a where one would be a top student) and i figured that made sense since the prestige of a university isn’t a big factor, correct? or am i wrong?</p>

<p>That’s true in a narrow cynical sense. But, as sakky himself is often fond of reminding people – you will pick up habits and norms from your peers. If you are the single best student at a school, you will have a very good GPA, but you won’t be pushing yourself in the other dimensions that are also so important. See:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/898044-advice-need-jhu-vs-wustl-vs-brown-vs-cornell-vs-maryland.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/898044-advice-need-jhu-vs-wustl-vs-brown-vs-cornell-vs-maryland.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>hmmmm, thats pretty true. But for myself idk if that’d be much of a factor. For example at my school, i’m one of the few kids that works pretty hard and tries but i like laid back feel…</p>

<p>idunno, i’ll have to think about it and consider that aspect…</p>

<p>thanks.</p>

<p>Does anyone have the average GPA and MCAT scores of successful med school applicants from JHU, CMU, Rice, Tufts, BC, and USC? (Yes, I know that’s a lot =P But I couldn’t seem to find it on my own…)</p>

<p>Ok the original post asked about the top pre-med schools and here’s my PERSONAL opinion (this is all what I think/heard from others) so it might be completely untrue. I think that the top pre-med schools (based on the number of med school students currently in med school that graduated from these schools) are:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>WUSL (i’ve heard from a friend that goes to WUSL that the intro chem and orgo classes are used to “weed” out a considerable amount of students that lie on the lower end on the bell curve so they are discouraged from applying). Also, you’re only allowed to use a certain amount of your AP credits (I think the number is something like 15-20).</p></li>
<li><p>JHU (their pre-professional advising website claims a 85% med school acceptance rate for applicants that have a 3.3 or higher gpa. However, I believe that this 85% refers to the applicants who passed the committee review (I also heard of bad recommendation letters if you are not committee approved). And also, covered grades first semester helps a lot if you are planning to take orgo1 first semester and there are a ton of research opportunities and internships available to you. </p></li>
<li><p>Duke (Similar to WUSL and JHU, the competitive atmosphere certainly exists although you will have more of a social life at Duke. Similar to WUSL, you have a AP limit (somewhere in the 15-20 area). </p></li>
</ol>

<p>All of the schools are super-competitive and no matter which one you choose, you will still need high GPAs/MCATs. </p>

<p>hope this helps</p>