Good Pre-Med Schools

<p>*I agree with bdm on #5 for most kids. Get away from home. See something different. It is a time for exploration.
*</p>

<p>I agree with that getting away from home can be a “good thing,” but I wouldn’t eliminate a very good and affordable choice just because the school is within a 150 mile radius.</p>

<p>When kids have the stats and/or finances to go far away and explore new experiences, then they are very lucky. Some kids just don’t have that option. </p>

<p>*What any of us think individually doesn’t change the fact that the most generally considered “prestigious” schools (and in that sense most popular) are usually small to small-ish research uni’s. (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, MIT, Duke for examples). *</p>

<p>Yes…the prestigious schools are mostly smallish…and they are popular amongst those who want and/or can afford them. However that doesn’t equate to “most people”…since most people do not apply to elites. But, the whole “size of school” issue is not that relevant anyway. </p>

<p>My kids went to a small private high school (less than 275 kids total), so one would think that they would have been freaked out by a large school…no shock at all.</p>

<p>*If you really don’t like a school, it’s unlikely that its Honors program is going to be much better. *</p>

<p>That’s a whole other issue…if you don’t like the school in general, then of course the existence of an honors college (or being more than 150 miles away…or being around 7000 students…or being affordable…or …) won’t make the school desirable or a good choice. You have to like the school in general. That’s a given.</p>

<p>Sure, that’s why I specifically and explicitly placed geography as the fifth consideration. You’ll note that it is behind “admitted” and “affordable.”</p>

<p>

curmudgeon, yes i agree. and that is their motivation for creating this program to lure some ‘overqualified’ high school students into the undergraduate institution that would otherwise never attract such kids. But then again, if these kids go to a higher ranked more competitive colleges and do premed, and in 3 years they apply to the med school that had the bs/md program, that kid will have to really work hard in the college, where as in the combined program you have a fairly ‘happy’ life, freed from stresses of mcat, premed courses, gpa, ECs, recommendation letters, and all the anxiety. I think many such combined programs are well worth it.</p>

<p>1.) Most of these programs require certain thresholds anyway, so you usually have to meet those marks regardless.</p>

<p>2.) If a student then slacks off, he’s taking a DOUBLE hit. Not only has he been lured to a college he’s overqualified for, he then fails to live up to his potential and is then “stuck” at that program’s medical school.</p>

<p>These programs are a bad idea.</p>

<p>^BDM, what do you think about URochester, Case Western U, or USC medical school? If one entered the MedScholl via the combined program, will it change your opinion?</p>

<p>No. Those programs are more selective than the normal program; while the medical schools are also “higher ranked,” the students coming in are as well. The effects roughly cancel out.</p>

<p>EDIT: This should not be taken as a knock on Case Western. But such programs in general maintain extremely high standards for their students while in college anyway. And they’re absurdly selective at the front end as well.</p>

<p>Kids like that should be going to the very best schools they can get into.</p>

<p>Of course, if finances or whatnot are a concern and they’d be going to Case <em>anyway</em>, that’s an entirely different story. If you’re going to that school anyway, may as well take the guarantee. But it is not worth it to compromise your undergraduate education for a so-called “guarantee.”</p>

<p>I agree and disagree with BDM. Firstly, I don’t think a student should ever go to a BS-MD program if he or she wouldn’t apply to that school if it didn’t have that program. You need to imagine it as if you are attending without the guarantee. In that case, would you attend?</p>

<p>If the answer is ‘No’, then it’s obviously not worth it. It is also never worth it if you cannot apply our OR if you lose your seat if you chose to apply out (unless, of course, we are taking about Brown PLME, Northwestern HPME, Rice/Baylor MedScholars, etc.). Only consider the program if you retain your seat when you apply out.</p>

<p>However, if a student would attend apply to that school if it didn’t have the program and would consider attending too, then consider the program. Make sure that the opportunities are there for the student because these students are, like BDM said, overqualified. So, you don’t want limitations on the student’s opportunities and abilities in college because of the program. Make sure that the research funding, clubs, activities, social scene, advising, etc.</p>

<p>Also, it comes down to the student. If the student isn’t ready for the tough grind and wants a sort of ‘cool down’ and some down time (maybe burn out? maybe just wanting less stress?) with the guarantee or at a lower ranking undergrad school with a BS-MD program at a relatively good med school (maybe something like St.Bonaventure UG/GWU Med BS-MD), then maybe the BS-MD route is ideal. </p>

<p>In the end, weigh options and see what is best. I always find it absurd when students on the BS-MD board say that they are applying to 10-15 programs. How on earth can you meet all these criterion for that many schools? I myself am only applying to 2 programs that meet everything I need. If I get into either I will attend because I know that these schools would be ones that I would consider regardless of the BS-MD program.</p>

<p>So BDM and M2CK, yall sound like very knowlegable people on this subject, so i was hoping you might help me out, although i would love everyone’s thoughts. Let’s say i have a 1950 SAT, 4.0+ weighted GPA, and lots of extracurricular participation (Varsity band and tennis, plus a few clubs). What school do you think would be a good fit, disregarding environment preferences and other such things? Also, i live in texas. Thanks.</p>

<p>P.S. if I’m posting this in the wrong spot, please let me know where i should put this. This is my first time on here.</p>

<p>LOL…I’m NO expert…BDM, Kristin, Curmy and others are…</p>

<p>Are you asking where you should go for undergrad for premed with those stats?</p>

<p>Did you apply to…</p>

<p>UT
TAMU
UT-Dallas</p>

<p>Yes, I am. But while am IN tx, I am definitely considering out of state (and liking the idea).</p>

<p>Where did you apply out of state?</p>

<p>What is your budget? Have your parents said how much they’ll spend?</p>

<p>Are you a senior?</p>

<p>Ok, since your being so attentive(thank you), I’ll give you the whole story. I’m a sophomore. My PSAT score was 180 this year, so i figured a 1950 score would be a reasonable prediction for end of senior year. My budget is under 32K overall expenses. I would like out of state, but I’ll consider in. I’m taking all AP and dual-credit classes and should graduate with a 110+ weighted GPA. I’m on Varsity band and varsity tennis, participate in some clubs, and should graduate at least top 20% if not top 10%, as I attend a highly competitive high school.</p>

<p>* I’m a sophomore. My PSAT score was 180 this year, so i figured a 1950 score would be a reasonable prediction for end of senior year. My budget is under 32K overall expenses. I would like out of state, but I’ll consider in. I’m taking all AP and dual-credit classes and should graduate with a 110+ weighted GPA.*</p>

<p>Ahhh…</p>

<p>Well, the good news is…those who get a 180 as a soph PSAT are very capable of scoring higher than a 1950 as a senior. I’ve seen kids like you easily score in the 2100+ as seniors. Also, take the ACT, some do better on that.</p>

<p>Get some SAT and ACT practice books.</p>

<p>I’ve also seen kids who score a 180 on the PSAT get a big enough jump junior year to make NMSF. So, study! :)</p>

<p>Is that budget “per year” or total for all 4 years?</p>

<p>BTW…if you get your ACT or SAT up high enough, you may be able to go OOS on a merit scholarship.</p>

<p>out of state…get away. I think some can stay in state and still be far away (big states). I think some like to be w/in 250 miles, so they can drive occasionally. My D is a flight away…so it would take 28 hrs. or more to drive. It makes it tough to go even on a short weekend. I think as the student gets older it is a little easier. Each circumstance is a little different. the time i went to visit my student, I had to fly, then rent car and drive for a while…takes alot of work.</p>

<p>That’s per year. And wow! That’s very encouraging. I took the ACT 7th grade year when I got accepted into Duke TIP, and my parents made a big grade push. My score was 22, but who knows what I’d make now. What is OOS? </p>

<p>But overall, what schools do you think would be fitting for a 1950-2050 range?</p>

<p>*But overall, what schools do you think would be fitting for a 1950-2050 range? *</p>

<p>My budget is under 32K overall expenses.</p>

<p>Well…It’s hard to say just yet. </p>

<p>You probably will have a good number to choose from, but without scores and an idea of what various schools would expect your family to pay, it’s hard to say.</p>

<p>But…that’s ok…you’re only a sophomore. RIGHT NOW…you’re main job is getting top grades and practicing for your ACT/SAT.</p>

<p>When you’re a second semester junior, you’ll have scores that will likely give a better idea of what will work.</p>

<p>Also…since you have a $32k budget…does that suggest that your family has a good income and therefore a school that meets need (and doesn’t give merit) might be unaffordable if the school expects your family to pay more??</p>

<p>Not sure I understood that last part, but I think you’re right about timing. I intend to take the SAT this summer. I am curious about one thing though. How competitive is admission to University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign’s premed?</p>

<p>* How competitive is admission to University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign’s premed?*</p>

<p>Schools like this are going to expect you to be a “full pay”. The cost of attendance is about $40k. By the time you’re a frosh, it will be more. </p>

<p>I wasn’t very clear about explaining that last para in the previous post.</p>

<p>It’s hard to go into right now, but some schools may just not be affordable for you. HOwever, some schools will. Right now, it’s too hard to say which are which.</p>

<p>OOS publics don’t usually give need-based aid. SOME give merit scholarships.</p>

<p>Some privates give need based aid and some give merit scholarships…some give both.</p>

<p>for the schools that do give need-based aid, you may not qualify for need-based aid if your family has a highish income. </p>

<p>It’s too complicated to explain right now. That’s why, for now, you need to concentrate on your grades and test scores.</p>

<p>OOS means out of state.</p>