Good Pre-Med Schools

<p>You may also want to look at University of Rochester (upstate NY, USNWR rank #35). Merit money isn’t automatic, but approx 85% of their students get some form of merit aid. UR is a small research university with a medical school across the street from the main campus. Its bio and physics programs are particularly strong. </p>

<p>Between the U and the med campus, there is tons of research funding so any undergrad who wants a research lab position gets one. Also the adjacent med campus makes it convenient for medical volunteering and shadowing.</p>

<p>Thank you very much. I will definetely look into these schools. Between USC, Vanderbilt, UM, and NYU, which school would you recommend anyways (not considering money) for premed? Just a quick stats sheet so u kno some of my profile: 5s on eight ap exams (among them calc BC, physics B, and english language), 36 ACT, 1520/2200 SAT, 800 math 2, 800 u.s. history, 750 physics SAT II, 4.0 unweighted 5.24 weighted, 5/961 in class, varsity swimming and water polo, nhs, mu alpha theta, etc.</p>

<p>As an adcom for several medical schools in the past, I can tell you that there is no “great premed school” with one exception. If you want to go to A medical school, then your odds are increased if you go to A college. That is because your letters are written as “Dear Bob” and not “Dear Dr. X” and I might get a phone call too. If somebody I know well says you walk on water, I will believe him.</p>

<p>Second exception: if you want to go to an IVY med school, your chances are increased going to an IVY college.</p>

<p>Second exception: if you want to go to an IVY med school, your chances are increased going to an IVY college.</p>

<p>What if you want to get into a state med school but you go to an ivy or a school that’s ranked right next to the ivies but is not an ivy itself.</p>

<p>Hello, I’m a senior in high school in VA and aspiring to go to the best pre-med school I possibly can. I’ve spent lots of hours reading into forums like these and with applications coming around the corner in Novemeber, my conviction to find the right school for me has only increased.</p>

<p>The biggest thing holding me back is my cumulative high-school GPA, which is most likely going to be around 3.2 when I apply to colleges. While, yes, I’ve spent all four years taking DE and AP classes, I feel that it will still really hurt my chances to get into a good pre-med school. Plainly put I have that GPA out of being lazy and unmotivated. When it comes to actual single tests I do well, I’ve taken the SAT just once and got a 1900 and I plan on retaking it and breaking into the 2000s. I can’t fix the fact I messed around during high-school, only make sure I commit myself in college and get 4.0s + I know I can get.</p>

<p>What I’d like to know is, what pre-meds schools would you suggest for someone with around 2000 SAT and 3.2 GPA? I’m taking DE Bio and Anatomy/Physiology this year, as well as volunteering at my local hospital. Plainly put I’m doing all I can to get ready.</p>

<p>I’ve been looking at (in order of interest):

1. University of Florida
  2. University of Maryland
  3. James Madison University
  4. George Mason
  5. North Carolina State
  6. VCU</p>

<p>Thank you for your suggestions!</p>

<p>First of all, there aren’t “pre-med schools.” </p>

<p>Virtually all schools have pre-med students. It’s not a major. It’s a list of classes that are offered at nearly every college.</p>

<p>You have some pricey OOS publics on your list. Most OOS publics don’t give good aid and your stats aren’t high enough for good merit. </p>

<p>What is your budget? How much will your parents pay?</p>

<p>If they’ll pay for wherever you go, then great! If not, you need a better list.</p>

<p>And, UFl is likely too much of a reach.</p>

<p>Mezisdope. This place. </p>

<p>[Premedical</a> Program | umwpremed.org](<a href=“http://umwpremed.org/node/2]Premedical”>http://umwpremed.org/node/2)</p>

<p>How is the pre-med program at USC compared to UCLA and Berkeley?</p>

<p>Better than the UCs</p>

<p>anyone has usc’s numbers??</p>

<p>“Numbers” for what? Med admissions by school? (worthless= GIGO)</p>

<p>What 'SC offers, is what every other top private college offers: smaller classes, MUCH better advising, more opportunities to becomes involved in research, etc. But unlike many other top privates, 'SC has plenty of gunners (like the UCs).</p>

<p>^And big publics Honors programs also have very small classes, and in general advising has been awesome at D’s big state public, everything was done way before many others (according to CC posts), research opportunites were beyond expectations as well as all other aspects of UG experience, as long as student is taking advantage of what is available. D. could not fit everything into her 4 years.</p>

<p>sry, I was tying two threads together: #449 about UCs and #550 about 'SC. UC advising is horrible. Other publics maybe/probably are much better.</p>

<p>This has been said many times on this forum over the past several years. Unless you are going into academic / research medicine - the school you go to makes no differance on your medical school with the only exception being that if someone on the medcom knows one of your letter writers personally, that will help.</p>

<p>Best Pre Med School in Pittsburgh Area? I started freshman year slow, but have a strong upward trend to make myself possibly competitive for Pitt, but if I don’t get accepted what other good pre med schools are in the area?</p>

<p>Do people that attend a school’s under graduate program have a better chance if getting into their med school?</p>

<p>Sent from my PC36100 using CC App</p>

<p>Not really. Or maybe a very slight one. </p>

<p>The biggest advantage it conveys is that the adcomm members probably have seen LORs from the same profs before and are more likely to put more faith in their evaluations.</p>

<p>Does anyone know if UC Davis is a good pre-med school (their advising, prep, etc)? I know that it is a good place to study the life sciences.</p>

<p>Davis is great for academics, and premed opportunities. Davis also has a nice college environment. But all UC’s suck at advising, unless you are in Honors or a Regent’s Scholar. If the latter, UC is a great deal, since you get first dibs on nearly everything on campus.</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>