Got my financial aid packet

Unfortunately after being deferred then accepted and wanting to go to Madison for the past 3 years, I didn’t get enough and won’t be able to attend… Good luck to everyone who attends

I’m so sorry @bluebanana99 I honestly get you :confused: What other school or schools are you considering?

How similar is your financial aid package to the net price calculator results?

@bluebanana99

@Madison85
I haven’t taken a look at the net price calculator. All I know is that I expected at-least a little more grants but I guess I didn’t get them. And then the cap for the $5500 for federal loans was a bummer too. $9500 was left unaccounted for and my family can’t really afford that :confused:

Also, my brother was in the class of 2015 or 2016, and when he applied there he got much more financial aid than me, but we have relatively similar stats (he had 3.5 gpa and 32 act, i have 3.65 act and 29 act.) How come it is this way?

@iloveuwmandum It was between U of M - TC and UW Madison, with Madison being my first choice by far. But TC gave me a good sum (more than I was expecting) that makes it very affordable. Even though I’d rather go the Wisc route, I’ll have to go with my home state.

What is your FAFSA EFC?

I’ll check the NPC and then you can tell us how close it is. This could help other people.

Also, stats have nothing to do with financial aid. Did your brother apply for scholarships?

@Madison85 My mom told my our EFC is around 1910 or so. I checked the NPC and it looks relatively the same with what the financial award said. We just cannot cover the $9000 remaining cost

Its helpful for others to know that the net price calculator is very accurate compared to the actual award package. Hopefully you applied to a more affordable school in your home state.

UW-Madison does not guarantee to meet FAFSA - determined need. Almost zero schools do.

@Madison85 After talking to my family there is a slight chance we can make it work. How exactly does paying for college work​? Is it a monthly payment or a lump sum?

Before you “make it work” via an unreasonable stretch (you seem to be low income, if your EFC is 1910,) you must be sure this is truly affordable, not just a dream.

If they’re thinking parent loans, cashing in some assets or robbing their retirement, they have to be certain how they’ll pay them back and/or ensure their own future security. That gap is 40k.

@lookingforward I agree that I should be positive it is affordable. What I mean by making it work is sort of waiting on scholarships. I applied for the Wallin, which is $4,000 a year, and if I get that I think Madison would be much more possible. But without it, I definitely cannot go. Also I mean that I will work full time this summer save 100% of everything.

The difference between you and your brother is test scores. 32’s are rare and therefore valuable.
Another difference is that UWisconsin has suffered big cuts (someone described the amount as equivalent to shutting down the school if nursing entirely AND the school if engineering) so it stands to reason they have fewer funds for scholarships. Don’t worry, Madison is still decently funded as far as the colleges go, but the other universities in the system aren’t doing so well, bearing the brunt of the cuts. Minnesota in the other hand has increased it’s funding for instate students.

@MYOS1634 don’t know where you are getting budget cut info from. The Governor 'S biennium budget is restoring money into Wisconsin System.

People on CC keep posting about budget cuts but apparently haven’t been reading news. Don’t slam this school and then glorify another school

Link please?
I don’t glorify any school in particular BTW.

Anything could have cause the difference in FA between one brother and another, over that many years. The school could be allocating differently now than then.

OP, if you get the Wallin, many colleges then subtract the amount of an outside scholarship from their U grants. Check that. And go back over the FA package. Many families found the COA (full cost) includes some factors you can reduce. Eg, my kids rented textbooks or bought used, rather than buy. Or the cost of school health insurance may be included and you may be covered on your parents’ plan. You have to look at both sides (line item costs and line items on aid, to see.)

btw- do NOT have parents use their retirement funds to pay for college!

^seconding this.
If UW Madison is affordable (without your parents taking on loans or jeopardizing their retirement), go. It’s a fantastic university in one of the best college towns in the country. The people of WIsconsin have good reason to be proud of such a great university.
But if it doesn’t work out… UMN is a great university too. It offers lots of majors, is well-funded, is located in a thriving metropolis.
In short, you can’t lose. Both choices are great.

Lump sum is due near the beginning of each semester, no monthly payments that I know of… Maybe your brother had a Chancellor’s Scholarship.

@bluebanana99 - Did you receive your FA package? Snail mail? Email? Portal?