Got room in RCE -- 3rd floor

<p>If this year is the same as last year, I belive MikeW is correct that rooms are designated as male or female. Last year when we were comparing completely open rooms, the actual room numbers (not # of rooms) that showed as available to males was different than females. </p>

<p>It would be very easy to check - someone who has a D and someone who has a S could post what actual room numbers are showing as available to 4 people.</p>

<p>Yer on!<br>
Vacant MALE 4-somes in RC-E are: 115, 302, 317, 409, 415, 417. In RC-S: 314 only.
Some of these contain RA + accessible room assignments, which could be male or female, depending on final needs.</p>

<p>Here are the 4 person suites that I can see open for girls in Ridgecrest East:
417</p>

<p>What does someone with a boy see?</p>

<p>Posted at the same time as aeromom!</p>

<p>I bet there is a computer program which eventually balances # of male/female, and prevents students of all 1 sex taking all open suites (thereby blocking the other sex from choosing), but at this point, the open 4-somes are not designated purely male/female.</p>

<p>Oh geezzzz… I am starting to understand why our kids are they way they are… can anyone say mini-me ??? </p>

<p>Two responses within one minute of each other for the initial request with a valid assumption on the final outcome three minutes later. Gotta love a challenge!!</p>

<p>I stand accused and as guilty as anyone :)</p>

<p>It’s the modern-day equivalent to ol’ Western quick draw. You shoulda seen me on Jan 2nd, fingers rehearsing the key strokes, at 7.59:57…7.59:58…7.59:59, to sign up for housing!</p>

<p>^^^ areomom, you would do well punching in on Jeopardy! According to Ken Jennings, that was half the battle.</p>

<p>Yeah, but I’m like 1/57th as smart as he is. So, no big money winners here…</p>

<p>3 or 4 years ago, a kid from New Orleans (classmate of my daughter) won Kid Jeopardy.</p>

<p>He went on to my son’s high school, where he and my son were both on varsity quiz bowl. They won state last year, and guess who was the high scorer for the tournament.</p>

<p>I’ll take potpourri for 500, Alex.</p>

<p>Our local HS math teacher was also a jeopardy contestant. He was on the show between when my sons had him. When son #2 had parent night, parents were able to write questions on a paper and drop them in a box for him to answer at the end of his presentation. I wrote out the his day 3 Final Jeopardy question - that he had missed. :)</p>

<p>Meow. I hope he saw the humour in that one.</p>

<p>I’m incredibly impressed with the information you’re providing on housing assignments! Can any of you recommend a strategy for my freshman s? He’s got the April 3/8:30 pm slot. Not doing Honors, since his one roommate didn’t get in…He likes lakeside and riverside but it seems there’s a lot to this…of course laundry is key. How do I find the rooms closest? Would LOVE your help and wisdom! Thanks!</p>

<p>Katorres, you’ll get a lot of differing opinions, but my freshman son loved Riverside West and probably would have stayed there if it was still honors. It is located almost right across from the cafetaria (Lakeside Dining). He was on the 2nd floor which is one of the floors with the laundry room. He had room C, although D is definitely the bigger room in the suite. (He chose C again this year in another dorm so he was happy with it.) I think the 2nd floor is ideal as you only have one set of stairs and except for move-in, you really never have to use the elevator. Of course you do have people above you and below you but he never complained about noise from either. Riverside has a very pretty lawn area behind it, and a pool, although S never used it. Riverside also has an outside hall closet where you can store boxes, the vacuum cleaner and misc. You really can’t go wrong with ANY of the suite dorms but this year my S was very happy at Riverside West.</p>

<p>^^ According to the housing website, community kitchens in both Lakeside and Riverside are on the 1st and 3rd floors; laundry is on the 2nd and 4th. Riverside doesn’t have traditional ovens in its community kitchens; convection only. Realistically, your son is unlikely to be visiting the laundry room all that much relative to his total time spent in the dorm, so a room right near the laundry room probably isn’t critical. He’s never going to be more than one floor away in any event. You can find good information on the various residence halls here: [Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/halls/]Student”>Halls - Housing and Residential Communities) , although it’s always good to get information from those who’ve actually visited or lived in the halls.</p>

<p>Son has lived three years in Riverside West, end of the hall, fourth floor. It is a long walk for this old lady when going to visit, but it’s very quiet, which is a plus. He never has to wait for a washing machine. He microwaves as his method of cooking, so he didn’t miss the kitchen. Riverside East is closer to the parking lot, if you’re really concerned about walking too much. If you’re going non honors, I’d definitely recommend Riverside. As for rooms, son was always in D, but his roommates in C were able to do a large desk/table, facing out their window, by putting their dressing, desk and side table together. I loved this and thought it was so cool! Even though the A room is supposed to be the smallest in the Riverside rooms, son’s A roommates have had lots of stuff in there. In fact, all three years, the boys who lived in there had not only a laptop, but a desktop computer and printer, just like a home office. And yes, love that storage closet. Great for your printer box and suitcases!</p>

<p>Thank you! From the responses, I guess Riverside is better than Lakeside? Thanks!</p>

<p>My son lives on the 2nd floor of Riverside East, and is very happy with it. The entire Riverside complex is pretty much the same, and should be fine. I am unaware of the major differences between honors and non-honors dorms in terms of noise and other issues.</p>

<p>I would say the Riversides and Lakeside are pretty similar - just different locations. Lakeside has that gorgeous lake, if that makes a difference.</p>

<p>One other thing to consider . . . Riverside is going to be closer to the Presidential II construction. I’m not sure how close and whether noise and/or construction dust will be a factor. I think Riverside North may have been somewhat impacted when Presidential I was being built. Anyone know?</p>

<p>Where exactly are they building Presidential II?</p>