Got room in RCE -- 3rd floor

<p>Sorry for the confusion. I meant there isn’t a door going into the hallway to the bedrooms. If you look at the floorplan on the housing website, there is a door shown which is not actually there. All the bedrooms have locking doors!</p>

<p>Is RCS-S suppose to be just for freshmen honor students next year?</p>

<p>RCS is limited to honors students, but is not limited to freshmen. There will be some upperclassmen living there. I would guess it will be mostly freshmen, though.</p>

<p>Any idea of the chances of getting a two room suite as a freshman or do the upperclassman usually get those before freshmen start selecting?</p>

<p>There were a few 2 room suites open last year in the fall. Upperclassmen might want them but it is more expensive. If you have a housing scholarship, you pay the “upcharge”.</p>

<p>I can’t find where anyone says that ALL of Ridgecrest will be honors. I know RCS is all honors. Is RCE and RCW ALL honors as well? My S is honors and he has a potential roommate that is not honors but thinks he can can live in RCE or RCW.</p>

<p>It’s new this year that all Ridgecrest halls will be all honors. I don’t think that was the case last year. The site has probably not been updated. Current students received this information during recontracting, as returning students may need to change their current assignments to stay in the honors community. For example, Riverside used to be honors, but next year, will not be honors. Students who want to stay in honors who were currently living in Riverside would have to move to another facility.</p>

<p>Your son and his roommate can live in Riverside or Lakeside, but if your son wants to switch over to honors the following year, he won’t be able to. That is IF the current rules about going from nonhonors to honors stay in place. Who knows what will happen from one year to the next.</p>

<p>Are freshmen going to be picking their rooms soon?</p>

<p>First selection date is April 2. Two more weeks! :)</p>

<p>Honors Housing is located in Ridgecrest West during 2012/2013 and both Ridgecrest East and West will be part of the Honors Community in 2013/2014.
[Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/halls/ridgecrest/]Student”>Ridgecrest East and West Driving Directions - Housing and Residential Communities)</p>

<p>In 2013/2014, all of Ridgecrest South will be part of the Honors Community. (That includes RCS-S and RCS-N.)
<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/halls/ridgecrestsouth/[/url]”>http://housing.ua.edu/halls/ridgecrestsouth/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>So therefore, all the Ridgecrests are honors for Fall 2013.</p>

<p>Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>Thank you! So ALL of Ridgecrest will be honors only. That is what I thought reading all these posts but this boy is convinced that some of Ridgecrest will be open to non-honors. My S is in a tough position. He has another roommate that is honors as well but after reading these posts, I’m not convinced they would even get Ridgecrest because they have the second day, 4th time slot. So is it better for him to go with the non-honors student that will pull in my S and his other roommate and then they could get at least get Lakeside East or Riverside West which are their non honors housing choice? And yes, they start April 2.</p>

<p>Not sure.</p>

<p>Did someone scoop up the “empty room” information at the end of the upperclassmen pick time? For boys and/or for girls? That may give some idea if any rooms are left in RCS, either tower.</p>

<p>There would be more rooms in RCS-South tower as it was non-honors this past year.</p>

<p>The website says, ALL of RCS will be honors and that RCE and RCW will be part of the honors community. I guess if you are looking for a loophole you could interpret it in your favor if you are non honors. I read all about the open rooms available after recontracting which made me think his chances were slim for Ridgecrest since his time slot is a little later.</p>

<p>All of Ridgecrest will be honors housing. Unless there is a lot of extra demand necessitating turning another residence hall into honors housing, none of the other residence halls will be honors housing, even if they were honors housing this year.</p>

<p>Considering that Housing is operating under the policy that those who do not get to pick their specific room have a very good chance of getting into honors housing if they so desire, I would think that those who get to choose their specific suite and bedroom will find plenty of spaces with 1-2 open spots in honors housing.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that there are plenty of people who will make great suitemates that your son may not have seen on Facebook or the roommate finder.</p>

<p>If I was a betting person (which I’m not, so take this FWIW), I would wager that with the 4th selection time on the 2nd day your son will be able to find an honors suite with two rooms open for himself and a roommate. That’s still a relatively early pick time. I think UAHousing posted on here somewhere that historically everyone who wanted honors housing has gotten it. You might want to call housing to confirm this, but I’m pretty sure that’s the case. Also, I know people who deposited well into December last year who were able to find entirely empty suites in honors housing when their pick times rolled around. Riverside North (which was honors then) was loaded with space well into room selection. And I don’t think that in switching the honors halls around they’ve reduced honors beds for next year. Your son obviously has to decide whether he prefers rooming with the non-honors student to living in honors housing, but I think he’ll be able to get honors housing if he wants it.</p>