gpa and scholarship

<p>does anyone know if umiami looked at unweighted or weighted gpa with merit scholarships? i'm assuming unweighted. i just only got a 11k scholarship and believe i should have at least gotten 16k. i applied early action and at that time had a weighted gpa of 4.43 (I'm in IB and take the more challenging courses such as higher lever chemistry and biology. i want to to do premed). i think the problem may have came from my unweighted gpa of 3.61 but still is there a chance i could receive a better scholarship. my extracurriculars and essay were strong. my sat was a 2000 1350 CR+M. i know i'm meeting minimum requirements for the deans 16k having only a 1350 but do i have a chance if i write admissions a letter?</p>

<p>i think it’s SATs and class rank
[New</a> International Students | Undergraduate Admission | University of Miami](<a href=“http://www.miami.edu/admission/index.php/undergraduate_admission/costsandfinancialresources/scholarships/new_international_students]New”>Undergraduate Admission | University of Miami)</p>

<p>although i didn’t have the class rank for mine. it’s mainly SATs… maybe you could contact the office of financial assstance?</p>

<p>My son didn’t have a class rank either. He was awarded Dickenson based on SAT and ACT scores.</p>

<p>ok i’m from florida. not an international student and i cant find the requirements for non international incoming freshman anymore but i remember them emphasizing class rank and sat/act back in february when i looked. 1350 was deans 16k while 1300 was trustees 11k (which i received :/).
our school doesnt rank (very competitive, second best IB school) but based off my 1350 sat (i had the 1350 before i applied early), is it worth the try to talk to financial assitance/admissions?
i dont want to sound like i’m begging for money but i feel like i should try asking for the deans 16k since i had met the requirement and my ranking would be high in any because cause i take so many IB courses.
so again is it worth the try to talk to financial assitance/admissions? has anyone contacted miami and received a better merit scholarship? im only asking this esp now since i attended the open house in miami a few days ago and someone told me someone tried and was successful.</p>

<p>I don’t ever remember seeing specific SAT scores for each level of scholarship. Just the 1350 to be considered for scholarships. This year the scholarships seem to have been awarded in a seemingly more arbitary way. Some students with very high stats not getting the highest awards. Someone posted (A guy named Rodney,and judging from the number of times he’s posted, he must be a CC guru!) that it appears that the scholarship amounts were higher in underrepresented states, seeming to indicate that UM is trying to increase geographic diversity. Florida students are large in
numbers at UM so that may be why your scholarship wasn’t as high as you thought it would be. I think you should call the FA office and ask. It won’t hurt. You may not get an answer right away because they are going to be waiting to see who commits and who doesn’t.</p>