GPA calculation for OOS scholarship

<p>How does Alabama calculate GPA? My school has 4.5 scale because honors/AP classes get an extra .5 added to it. Would they take away these honors points and just calculate it out of a 4.0? That would be super unfortunate because I feel like when schools do that it kinda throws out your effort if you take honors.</p>

<p>Welcome! Alabama uses the GPA on your transcript whether it is weighted or not. So you are good.</p>

<p>Cuttlefish123, Thank you so much that is VERY good news!!!</p>

<p>How does 'Bama calculate GPA for students whose schools don’t? (Tried contacting our regional rep with the question but have yet to hear back.)</p>

<p>Your school doesn’t have a GPA?</p>

<p>iiHow does 'Bama calculate GPA for students whose schools don’t? (Tried contacting our regional rep with the question but have yet to hear back.)</p>

<p>What does your report card have? Just grades? IF so, then likely each A will be a 4.0 and each B will be a 3.0. Can you figure yours out?</p>

<p>Or post your grades here. </p>

<p>Do you have mostly A’s? Some B’s?</p>

<p>S attends a selective independent school that doesn’t rank or compute GPAs. They assign letter grades. I can compute his GPA, but I’m not sure how to weight for advanced classes. Everything at the school is comparable to “honors” (although I don’t know that Alabama would see it that way!), but a few courses (mostly math and science) offer advanced track classes.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Do the math with an unweighted model including all classes. See if it’s above a 3.5. If it is, there’s no reason to worry about the honors stuff.</p>

<p>I think unweighted it may be borderline, that’s why I asked. I’ll wait to hear back from the admissions people. Thanks!</p>

<p>^^ Don’t worry about weighting. Just calculate it - use the same scale that UA does. I.e., if your school doesn’t give GPA, regardless of the honors designation, use this, perhaps: [Grades</a> and Grade Points < The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://courseleaf.ua.edu/introduction/academicpolicies/gradesandgradepoints/]Grades”>http://courseleaf.ua.edu/introduction/academicpolicies/gradesandgradepoints/)</p>

<p>Just wanted to let others know, in case they’re in a similar situation, that I heard back from a UA rep about how they handle situations like ours. This is what she said:</p>

<p>“If a student’s high school does not calculate GPA, our Office of Undergraduate Admissions will calculate it based of a 4.0 scale and will not weight the classes. If a student’s counselor is willing to calculate their GPA individually, we will accept it as long as it is on an official transcript.”</p>

<p>Based on my calculations, I think he will <em>just</em> eek in on the unweighted score, but I’m hoping his counselor will provide a weighted version to be sure. </p>

<p>If he just misses the cutoff, I’m going to feel <em>really</em> bad that I told him he <em>had</em> to always take the most demanding classes offered! :-(</p>

<p>But, this isn’t a “maybe” thing. If he has finished GPA and you have the transcripts, you can literally just run the numbers. If the number begins 3.5 or above, then it is guaranteed, since senior grades don’t factor in.</p>

<p>I understand that, Edumacation. (Love your handle, BTW.) However, we’re dealing with some academic classes that aren’t full year/credit, etc., the details of which I’d rather not get into in public. But, yes, looks like we’re in the clear.</p>

<p>^ Edjumacation is correct. Since Sr grades aren’t factored in, you have all the info you need right now to calculate this accurately. Good luck.</p>

<p>Congrats, Lucie!</p>

<p>*Based on my calculations, I think he will <em>just</em> eek in on the unweighted score, but I’m hoping his counselor will provide a weighted version to be sure. *</p>

<p>Ok…here’s what some have done…</p>

<p>They’ve done the math for the GC, having the details of the weighted GPA written out, and then given it to the GC. Then the GC just writes the weighted GPA on the transcript and sends.</p>

<p>If you do the math for the GC and provide details, it’s one less reason for them to say no.</p>

<p>Are any of the “advanced” classes AP classes? Our school has regular, honors and AP classes. Regular and honors are weighted regularly - A = 4.0. AP is weighted - A = 5.0. That might help.</p>

<p>i think that both weighted and unweighted gpa will be on my ds official hs transcript</p>

<p>will u of alabama accept the higher ( it is 3.5000 for now versus 4.5)</p>

<p>thank you in advacnce</p>

<p>Bama will accept whatever is higher on the transcript.</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>thank you for the quick reply,</p>