GPA question

<p>if a student had A+ in all classes, would their transcript show a 4.0 or a gpa higher than a 4.0.</p>

<p>my student made all As and A+s this semester and the transcript shows a 4.0, but it should actually be 4.1 i think.</p>

<p>does the extra “come back” in the case that the students grades go below the 4.0?</p>

<p>just wondering.</p>

<p>The highest overall GPA Bama records is a 4.0 even when the real avg is higher.</p>

<p>so if your gpa dropped below 4.0 would the extra points come back into play?</p>

<p>^^^It appears so. According to the registrar’s office, GPA=Grade points/Quality hours. </p>

<p>The grade points awarded to an A+ are calculated as follows: 4.33 x the number of quality hours enrolled in for the course (e.g. a 3 credit course earns 12.99 grade points for an A+). </p>

<p>As mentioned above, a student’s cumulative GPA cannot exceed 4.0.</p>

<p>Source: [University</a> of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2008-10](<a href=“http://catalogs.ua.edu/catalog08/502100.html]University”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>i would have to go look at the numbers again and see if the quality points/quality hours comes out to above 3.0. then if it is above 4.0 they just truncate it.</p>

<p>no big deal … just wondering.</p>

<p>thanks for the replies.</p>

<p>On DegreeWorks, the GPA will show above a 4.0.</p>

<p>However, on the “Academic Transcript” it just shows 4.0.</p>

<p>Was just looking at Degree Works for son who’s graduating in May. DW isn’t showing that the 2 CBH classes fufill the 2 “Computer” designation classes. </p>

<p>Momreads…is your son’s CBH showing that it’s covering that?</p>

<p>This is coming from my son. Do not take DegreeWorks as your Bible. The program has some bugs. If something does not show, and you know that you have satisfied the requirement, do not panic. His DegreeWorks says that he still needs to take a lit class as well as a fine arts/humanities class. He took them during the summer at one of our community colleges. As for his CBH classes, they do not show up as fulfilling the computer requirement.</p>

<p>As others have mentioned, one cannot officially have a GPA above 4.0, though any extra points are still used in calculating your GPA.</p>

<p>As for DegreeWorks, it is a nice tool, but there are some inaccuracies. While I know that UA wants departments to use DegreeWorks to track a student’s progress towards a degree, my department uses a paper checklist that my advisor and I update each semester.</p>

<p>DegreeWorks is definitely not as reliable as we wish it to be. Like with SEA_tide, my departments uses a paper flow chart and looks at your transcript to see what you have completed. DegreeWorks is still telling me that I’m missing a few basic courses that I took.
DegreeWorks also shows what your “true” GPA is, if its above a 4.0. But you cannot have an official GPA above 4.0. Though it is really nice to have those extra points for a cushion in case something goes wrong in later semesters.</p>

<p>Degree Works still has some kinks in it for the odd stuff. I don’t know if the issue is that Bama isn’t getting the kinks fixed or maybe the kinks can’t be fixed.</p>

<p>In the case of older son’s Computer requirement. It wasn’t showing up in Degree Works as being filled by CBH courses. However, when son called his math advisor, the math advisor said it’s because he needs to send an email to the registrars office to say that Math will accept it…which he did today. </p>

<p>So, I don’t know if the problem is that DegreeWorks can’t accomodate that OR if the problem is that Bama wants these one by one approvals.</p>

<p>Can i get the University of Alabama( Tuscaloosa) with a 3.5 GPA and 1340 total SAT score?</p>

<p>What is your M+CR?</p>

<p>Can you take the SAT again (maybe this month)? Or take the ACT?</p>

<p>Off-topic: Mike, I love your moniker. <em>Monsters Inc.</em> is one of my favorite flicks ever. Boo used to be my Twitter avatar. (Then I changed it to just a pic of moi-meme.)</p>

<p>Pixar rules!</p>

<p>OK, now back to the regularly scheduled discussion… ;-)</p>

<p>haha thanks!</p>

<p>most of the time people dont get the monsters inc reference, and they think i am a guy.</p>

<p>: )</p>

<p>First time I saw <em>Monsters Inc,</em> I totally lost it at the point where Sully thinks Boo has been trash-compacted. I boo-hooed from that point on, and by the end of the movie I was a wreck. My DH always says he can tell how much I’m enjoying a movie by how much I cry. :)</p>

<p>^^^Then DO NOT watch Toy Story 3 anytime in the next year as your student is making the transition to college. I finally watched it with the family on Christmas Day…</p>

<p>LOL–too late! We saw it in the theater when it came out. Cried BUCKETS!!! when Andy left for college!!</p>

<p>I am not a crier at all. I’m usually pretty stoic unless I’m taking a pet for their “final” visit to the vet. But the end of that movie. Oy vey! But D1 was the same way. D2 & DH found us mildly amusing :)</p>

<p>“D2 & DH found us mildly amusing”</p>

<p>LOL! My kids always make fun of me. :)</p>

<p>I think everyone cried when they saw Toy Story 3. I wept a great deal both times I saw it, then went home and told my toys and stuffed animals how much I loved them. I know all my fellow classmates from high school who saw it with me cried as well. It just really tugged on our heartstrings since we had just left for college the year before.</p>