Grad gift for students heading to Bama

<p>We have several girls we know who are heading to Alabama in the fall. As I was trying to think about what type of graduation gifts to give these young ladies I thought I would share what we did for our daughter and what I am planning to put together for these girls.</p>

<p>When our daughter graduated her older sister put together a special book. She got an empty book and labeled different pages with the months of the year…August through May. She put tabs on the edges of the pages marking them. She then decorated each page and put a pocket envelope that would seal on each page.</p>

<p>She contacted various restaurants and shops in Tuscaloosa and in each pocket she put a gift card or gift certificate to a different shop or restaurant. She wrote a little clue about what might be inside each envelope. She then tied the book shut with a ribbon (houndstooth).</p>

<p>Basically it gave her sister a shopping or eating treat each month with out feeling guilty about spending the money.</p>

<p>I am planning on doing a mini version for each of the girls going to Bama. Obviously if a parent does this you could spend more than if it is one individual.</p>

<p>Many of the shops and restaurants in Tuscaloosa are great about parents calling and charging a meal or a gift card for their child to pick up. I also found that they were willing to mail them to me. Here is a list of what was put in my daughter’s surprise.</p>

<p>Gift card to Ellie Crimson
Gift certificate to Mug Shots
Gift certificate to Bento
Gift certificate to TCBY
Gift card to The Shirt Shop
Gift card to The Trunk
Target Gift Card
Gift card to Private Gallery
Gift card to Iguana Grill
Gift Card to Barnes and Noble
Gift Card to Panera
Gift card to Starbucks
Gift Card to Newks</p>

<p>…we got a little carried away and so a couple of months had extras…have fun creating your own and happy shopping! I am telling you that everyone who saw this thought it was the best gift ever!!!</p>

<p>Thank you for this wonderful idea. I usually give ‘coupon’ books to my kids as presents, rather than actual things. I started this when they hit middle school. The coupons are for experiences, not material ‘things’, and they tend to remember these (and appreciate these) much more than they would receiving a traditional gift.</p>

<p>Mani-pedi’s are always nice, especially for those formal dances!</p>

<p>Ahpimommy- that is such a cute idea! I am going to get started on this right away! I love it and I know my daughter will too!</p>

<p>Well, my kid is gonna need a laptop. Preferably a reasonably priced workhorse that will last all four years. Thinking about a MacBook. Is Bama an Apple friendly campus?</p>

<p>Yes. Bama sells macs in the supe store</p>

<p>This is such a cute idea, ahpimommy!! I think I’ll make one for my daughter and leave it for her after I drop her off in the fall :slight_smile: Knowing her, though, she’ll cheat and use it all the first month. Lol!</p>

<p>Great idea on the coupon book – will try to start that right away – we are also taking daughter and her best friend from school (aub fan, but going to North Alabama) on a cruise. </p>

<p>Got daughter a laptop for Christmas, and supplementing it with a tablet for graduation, I ordered the Asus Transformer Prime… </p>

<p>The tablet will supplement the laptop, but she can just carry the tablet around with her. I lean more on the Android side of tablets because of the many apps available, plus, being an “old” IT guy, well… just not an Apple type of guy.</p>

<p>Great idea on the coupon book, wife and I will get with two younger daughters today on that…</p>

<p>RTR</p>

<p>BamaAF gave son asus trans prime for 18 b day. He loves it. He is not an apple guy either!</p>

<p>Thanks for the info vlines – just hope it arrives in time for graduation – everything else has already arrived (portfolio case, external keyboard/dock, memory cards, etc.)</p>

<p>M2CK posted a link recently to a beautiful UA flower arrangement from FTD. </p>

<p>[The</a> FTD® University of Alabama® Crimson Tide® Rose Bouquet](<a href=“http://www.ftd.com/the-ftd-university-of-alabama-crimson-tide-rose-bouquet-prd/fcat]The”>http://www.ftd.com/the-ftd-university-of-alabama-crimson-tide-rose-bouquet-prd/fcat)</p>

<p>I ordered one for my D. The next day I received a flyer from our car/home insurance company for 25% off FTD. It included a link but also said that if the link didn’t work to use the coupon code CARING. I called FTD and they confirmed the code and gave me a 25% refund. So I pass that along because I don’t think you actually have to link through the insurance company to get the discount.</p>

<p>other gift card ideas…</p>

<p>Gigi’s cupcakes
Coldstone
Tazikis
Starbucks
Wings U
Yogurt Mountain</p>

<p>I wonder if Charming Charlies has gift cards? My son’s GF likes to get stuff there.</p>

<p>BamaAF, vlines (and anyone else)</p>

<p>OK help me out here on the Asus Transformer Prime? It looks like it is a tablet that “transforms” into a netbook/laptop? </p>

<p>My son is saying he doesn’t want/need a tablet but rather he wants a laptop…and he also is not an Apple user…so this device looks like it would be both a tablet to carry to class and then with the docking device can be used in his dorm room as a laptap?</p>

<p>Any info you can share on where to get them, pricing, etc…would be great!!</p>

<p>CrimsonMomNC… I wouldn’t depend on the Transformer to replace a Windows or Mac laptop. It uses the Android operating system and Windows programs don’t work on Android. There are lots of apps that are handy, but they won’t replace things like MS Office. I may not be understanding how you’re planning to use it though.</p>

<p>Crimsonmomnc- what NMFdad said…</p>

<p>the tablet does have a keyboard attachment that may or may not be used with the tablet. It is a supplement to the laptop for when 2 screens would be nice, or you need something lighter to take to class. This also has a draw on feature that will allow you to do math and chemistry problems directly onthe tablet, but then you can use the keyboard if you type faster for notes or whatever. </p>

<p>There is some word processing software on the tablet, I am not sure what it is right now, can’t remember.
We went with trans prime after doing a lot of research on a powerful wifi tablet that has a good touch screen. This one had the best reviews from the “techy” crowd, and the best processor. They are getting ready to release the next trans prime, I believe, and that may have 4g built into it. That is all rumor right now. 4g not a huge priority for us, and it may or may not require a wireless plan…we DID want to avoid that. So we decide not to wait.</p>

<p>Charming Charlie’s does do gift certificates! I gave them along with hanging jewelry holders (also bought at Charming Charlies) for graduation gifts last year. Love that place!</p>

<p>OK Thanks! any suggestions on a good laptop? We have 2 home desktop PC’s and a crappy laptop so my S needs a new good one to go with him to Bama :)</p>

<p>CrimsonMom - you can get an ASUS Eee Pad Transformer (TF101-A1) for $296.65 at neweggbusiness.com using discount code mtmk99</p>

<p>The discount code (worth $52.35) expires either tonight or tomorrow.</p>

<p>You can set yourself up as a business account if you don’t own one.</p>

<p>Humble 2 cents worth
D will be going with a Mac Laptop and Ipad. She is majoring Athletic Training, which requires certification and is on the medical side of things. Many medical fields are using ipads more and more as very dynamic apps are being developed that enable you to manipulate pictures. My older one has one and uses the apps to look at joints, muscles etc in 3-D and she can spin the image to see all the way around. The Certifieds and MD’s that she works with have them and use them to write case notes, etc.</p>

<p>If you are considering a medical field you might want to take that into consideration. Android tablets just have not caught up yet…</p>

<p>Those interested in some really neat treats for their current or future Bama students might want to check out Mary’s Cakes and Pastries.</p>

<p>Here is the link:</p>

<p><a href=“https://www.facebook.com/maryscakesandpastries[/url]”>https://www.facebook.com/maryscakesandpastries&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>[Welcome</a> to our website : Mary’s Cakes & Pastries](<a href=“http://www.maryscakesandpastries.com/]Welcome”>http://www.maryscakesandpastries.com/)</p>

<p>They are located in Northport and have some very novel Bama cakes and cookies for different occasions.</p>

<p>Also, for whomever was asking about bbq sauce from Archibald & Woodrow’s they DO sell it and also the wing sauce…by the pint, quart, or gallon.</p>