Grades

<p>I hate to ask, but when are semester grades posted. S knows how he did on finals & I don’t want to bug him every day about grades. Is there a deadline to post all grades?
Roll Tide!</p>

<p>All grades are due Dec. 20</p>

<p>[Fall</a> 2011 Academic Calendar | The Office of the University Registrar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/academic-calendars/fall-2011/#tab=tab-1]Fall”>http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/academic-calendars/fall-2011/#tab=tab-1)</p>

<p>Some grades are up. My son has all of his grades.</p>

<p>My D has all her grades, too. She was stalking the mybama site all day Saturday and Sunday until her music theory grade was posted. (The class where half the class failed the midterm and dropped the class the next day. Yes, it’s the weeder course for the music school. Another 50% are expected to fail out of music theory II next semester, although III and IV are supposed to be easier. I can’t believe they lose 75% of those who thought they’d be music majors by the end of freshman year.)</p>

<p>She and we were totally thrilled: she achieved a 4.0 with a load heavy on work and time commitments: honors bio, chemistry, music theory, flute lesson, piano lesson, music convocation, and Million Dollar Band. She’s taking it easy over break, no attempt to work a few hours at Taco Bell again, and she’ll go back a little early to rehearse for the BCS championship game halftime show.</p>

<p>I’ve told her we don’t expect her to maintain a 4.0, but she’s putting a lot of pressure on herself to do it. She’s decided she wants to get her doctorate in genetics research at Columbia, and she wants to earn one of their fully funded positions, so she can get out debt-free like she will if she goes to UAB instead (original plan).</p>

<p>*I can’t believe they lose 75% of those who thought they’d be music majors by the end of freshman year.)</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>Sounds like pre-med…</p>

<p>*She’s decided she wants to get her doctorate in genetics research at Columbia, and she wants to earn one of their fully funded positions, so she can get out debt-free like she will if she goes to UAB instead (original plan). *</p>

<p>Very likely all of their science PhD positions are fully funded.</p>

<p>My friend’s daughter is a chemical engineering major at Yale, and states that her music theory class is harder than all the other classes combined.</p>

<p>My D would agree. Honors Bio was a breeze compared to music theory. She doesn’t like chemistry, so it was a close second to music theory, especially since chem was at 8:00 M-F.</p>

<p>Oh, well, she’s just a music minor, so only one more theory class to go (instead for the 3 the majors have to take).</p>

<p>^ I hate to hear about all the attrition from Music Theory, on the other hand I’m very pleased that what I heard about the rigor and level of the Music Performance degree (at least in DS’s instrument) seems to be true.</p>

<p>AL34, my D says that the flute majors are all incredibly talented. I think she’s the only one minoring in flute right now. She’s used to being the best of the best in her band and our local youth orchestra, so she’s thrilled to be around others who ae equally or more talented than she is (even if it’s because they have a couple years’ colleges-level experience on her).</p>

<p>She was thrilled to make second chair in the Symphonic Band as a freshman, because the competition is so stiff.</p>

<p>Maybe next year she’ll make wind ensemble or orchestra, if those fit her fall schedule. Those two only hold fall auditions, unless someone has to leave, causing an opening for spring semester. D didn’t audition for either this past fall, because of a conflict with her Honors Bio class.</p>