Graduation regalia

<p>Okay, guys, we’re down to the wire, and need some help from the parents of graduates as to what our kids need for graduation.</p>

<p>We’ve got the cap and gown and tassel and even got the picture taken. (Lord, took an Act of Congress to get that done).</p>

<p>Still have to order announcements and see if son wants a frame. Already forewent (is that a word?) the ring. Sigh.</p>

<p>With the mention of underclassmen getting honor society invites, need to find out what our honor kids need to do in addition to regular regalia for graduation.</p>

<p>Honor societies: Does Alabama allow students to wear regalia for honor societies? Which honor societies have regalia and what do they wear and where do they get the items from?</p>

<p>Do kids graduate with Latin honors, magna, summa, cum laude? Do they wear special regalia for that?</p>

<p>Does the Honor College, and even specific programs, like CBHP, IHP, UFE, University Scholars, Emerging Scholars, wear any special regalia?</p>

<p>And for you Greeks, do the Greeks wear any special regalia?</p>

<p>I’m sure underclass parents would be interested to bookmark this information.</p>

<p>This has been the week from hell for the kids with projects due, etc, so trying to line up the ducks in a row to order stuff in time for graduation.</p>

<p>Honors and other groups have cords.</p>

<p><<<
Do kids graduate with Latin honors, magna, summa, cum laude? Do they wear special regalia for that?
<<<<</p>

<p>lol…you have them out of order… It’s summa, magna, cum…</p>

<p>I don’t remember if there was a cord or what there is for that. Both boys gradated Summa Cum Laude and that was announced when their names were announced as they walked across the stage. I think the program also had a listing of those with Latin honors.</p>

<p>Latin honors get a crimson tassel, I believe. Honor societies get cords, stoles, medals, etc.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>???</p>

<p>Maybe not anymore. Neither of my kids had a Crimson tassel. </p>

<p>However, you do get a red mortar board for all A’s!!!</p>

<p>I thought the cords were given out as they earnt them, so e.g., FR year, S got some sort of thing from Phi Eta Sigma (I believe) - I asked him to pick this up, and I don’t think he did, so not sure where you get the cords from years later, sorry.</p>

<p>"Maybe not anymore. Neither of my kids had a Crimson tassel.</p>

<p>However, you do get a red mortar board for all A’s!!! "</p>

<p>That may what I meant.</p>

<p>…missed the All-A boat in this house… ;(</p>

<p>Thanks for the reminder about Phi Eta Sigma. I’ll have to see where he can get the cord. I know he got some kind of necklace for the engineering honor society when he joined that. Will need to find that. </p>

<p>Wow, Mom, both Summa! The cutoff for that is pretty high! That’s awesome. </p>

<p>Alabama allows students to wear whatever tassels, cords, stoles, etc. they earn. Some UA colleges give stoles to students with graduating with Latin honors. These are given out when the students line up for graduation. </p>

<p>As of last year and possibly before, students graduating with both master’s and bachelor’s degrees are allowed to wear undergraduate regalia with their graduate robe and hood. They are also permitted to walk twice as they are earning two degrees.</p>

<p>UA does not permit graduates to wear leis, but flowers are sold in Coleman Coliseum. Cash is needed to purchase flowers.</p>

<p>Publix is happy to make UA-themed desserts. I special ordered a New York cheesecake for my graduation, though regular and cookie cakes are also available. If one gets there early enough in the day, they also have petit fours decorated with the script A. The petit fours are very tasty.</p>

<p>Thanks, Sea. I remember getting something from Phi about ordering stuff for graduation and the lady said I’d need to check with the uni if it was allowed. I of course haven’t gotten around to doing that. That will be on my list of things to do next week with son, do you want it or not?</p>

<p>Alabama also allows student to paint or glitter the tops of their mortarboards…such as with where they’re going next year…grad school, med school, etc. </p>

<p>So excited for you and your son, Montegut!!! </p>

<p>Thank you for starting this thread, Montegut! </p>

<p>This UA graduation link gives very detailed information and instructions for candidates, including ordering regalia, proper attire, graduation day instructions, honor cords and stoles, parking, guest seating, etc…: </p>

<p><a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/degrees/commencement/graduating-students/candidate-instructions/”>http://registrar.ua.edu/degrees/commencement/graduating-students/candidate-instructions/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Mom2c, how did your boys know to get red mortarboards for Summa? There is no option on the SupeStore website for this distiction in ordering a cap and gown. May have to inquire at the Honors College.</p>

<p>UA gives the red mortarboards to undergraduates with a 4.0 GPA in UA courses. I seem to recall that they are given during the graduation lineup, but it may be before. The registrar’s office would know for sure as they are in charge of the graduation ceremonies.</p>

<p>I highly encourage students to attend the graduation ceremonies hosted by the Honors College and many of the academic departments. This is especially recommended if they are also graduating with a master’s degree. </p>

<p>For red mortarboards: given out by the office of each college. so if in arts and sciences, you get the red hat there…for all A’s.</p>

<p>so, gotten a few days before grad…not day of graduation …at least in our case. </p>

<p>How do the kids find out about ceremonies for honors, engineering? I don’t remember seeing anything about honor cords and stoles, other than for the Latin honors. And do they get their Latin honors stoles on graduation day or beforehand? Are we responsible for ordering the different stoles, honor cords, from the honor societies’ national headquarters and bringing them to graduation? Which one are acceptable for the kids to wear when they walk? When son renewed his Phi Kappa Phi dues last year, there was a brochure to order recognition awards, a medallion, a stole and an honor cord. Do the kids wear more than one stole? I think son got a necklace for the engineering honor society, to wear at graduation, but would he wear a Phi Kappa Phi stole in addition to his Latin honor stole? Would he wear a Phi Eta Sigma tassel on his cap in addition to his engineering tassel? Is there one place where we call to ask these questions? Also, any special tassels, stoles for UHP, IHP, CBHP, and UFE?</p>

<p>The registrar’s office organizes graduation ceremonies and the individual colleges each have a representative for graduation-related activities.</p>

<p>Students typically don’t have to pay extra for any honorary cords, tassels, or stoles as they are included in membership dues or purchased by the department. I don’t think students typically wear more than one item for each honor, though they can. It’s certainly possible to wear more than one stole, though I’m not aware of many UA organizations which typically issue stoles.</p>

<p>Graduation announcement help. Trying to do this online, as can’t speak to real people during Spring Break. In choosing minors, Computer Based Honors Program is not a choice. Has anyone been able to have that put in on the graduation announcement? Anyone know if Bama has a specific Balfour rep that deals with the school and would be familiar with Bama specific programs? Thanks for any help!</p>

<p>Bama has specific Balfour Reps which visit the Supestore for various graduation fairs. It looks like they visited last week. The Supestore typically mails reminders about these events to parents a week or so in advance. These fairs also sell the gowns, mortarboards, and tassels at a slight discount (10-15%). In my experience, the Balfour reps recommended that I complete a paper order form so all of my degrees and majors/minors could be listed. The Supestore would have the contact information for UA’s Balfour representatives or one could call Balfour and order over the phone for no extra charge.</p>

<p>So excited for everyone graduating this year. </p>