Graduation regalia

For engineering grads, the HM Comer Engineering Welcome Office has a little ‘store’. (It if is not open, check w/ in Dean’s office down the hall.) License plate holders (silver metal with crimson accent color) which say “Engineering” on the top and “University of Alabama” on the bottom are only $10. They have a small selection (hats, a few shirts and sweatshirts, garment bags, golf stuff), but reasonable prices for UA mementos. :wink:

RTRMom2, I wondered the same thing. My student is going to have a double major in Math and Computer Science so it might be at two different ceremonies. Also he will be getting his Masters in CS so I wonder what he wears at the ceremony (he hopefully will have earned a Crimson Hat too so I hope he gets to wear that.) Hopefully Seatide can chime in if he knows the answer.

Students don’t even have to walk during the same ceremony as their academic college. A couple students from other colleges walked during my graduation ceremony, which was officially for CBA and COE.

Just because two majors are in different colleges does not mean that the student will graduate from each college as many such double majors are handled by a single college. If the student gets degrees from separate colleges, they can certainly walk in both ceremonies and get two diploma covers.

Students can wear whatever graduation regalia they have earned, though they will wear graduate gowns if they are receiving or already have :slight_smile: a graduate degree. I wore a graduate robe with every hood, stole, cord, etc. I earned because that’s what I wanted to do. UA employees will help everyone put on their robes and graduation regalia correctly.

Students are allowed to walk for each degree they earned, even if both would be during the same ceremony. Just make sure to have both name cards.

Thought I would bump this, as the time is drawing near for May 2016. Grad fair is ‘on’ this week at SUPE, Mar 2/3/4.

Does anyone know if kids order directly from the SUPE, do they have to pay shipping or can they pick up orders in person at no charge? (shipping KILLS - there is a $25 shipping fee for ordering the diploma frame, for example)

The company will continue to send notices about purchasing diploma frames and other graduation stuff. If you wait there may be an offer with no shipping.

Or just buy the frame at the Supe. We did this at the December graduation. (They were offering 20% off at that time too.)

I just talked with a May 2016 soon to be graduate who works at the Supe store. He told me that my student could pick up merchandise at the store, no shipping charged. DS is too busy to shop for graduation stuff.

I do have a question for CC experts: DS is graduating from Honors College and has a 3.6 gpa, how is that reflected on the announcement? Honors Cum Laude? General Honors?

Honors for spring graduation are based upon fall GPA. If that is his fall GPA then you’d say Cum Laude. Students complete requirements of the HC but do not graduate from the HC.

Congratulations!

Yes, students may pick up their cap and gown at the Supe.

Posting in case someone has some insight. We are finally getting around to ordering announcements. Looking at the official UA announcements order form, there is room for two degrees to be entered. DS will be getting Bachelors in Biology, Bachelors in ChemE and a Masters in Biology. Do we just leave one off or is there another option?

I would put BS Biology & BS ChemE on one line and Masters Biology on the other line (or abbreviate to fit it all in). It’s too great to not celebrate ALL of this! :wink: