Greek Life at GW

I’m very much opposed to Greek life. I love to party but I have just never liked the idea of a frat. Are frats a big part of GW? Will I be left out by not joining one? Is it easy enough to party and have a good time without having to pay into a frat?

Frats are not a big part of GW, but are there if you want. most GW students are more into their student orgs than Greek Life.

I go to GWU and before going to college, I was opposed to greek life. But I ended up joining a small fraternity for gay men and it is a chill, awesome group of people. No hazing or crazy parties or any social pressure. I also have plenty friends outside of my frat that I spend a lot of time with.

I believe the rate of Greek Life participation was about 20% when I started at GW. Greek Life does not dominate social life at GW the same way it does at some other big state universities. You will by no means feel left out if you choose not to participate - in fact, you’d be a part of the majority that chooses not to partake. If you do change your mind and want to join, it’s certainly there and fairly vibrant. I personally abhor fraternities, and I eagerly look forward to the day they all get banned.