Greek Life

<p>Can anyone tell me about Greek Life at UMiami?</p>

<p>Something like 12 or 13% of students are involved in fraternities, and all of my greek friends love to point out that 80% of leadership positions on campus are held by greeks. I’m not sure how accurate that 80% statistic is, though, and I would actually imagine it to be closer to 30 or 40%. There’s lots of different types of frats with different interests, with some as development-oriented as the business fraternity, some as community oriented as the jewish fraternity, and others as diverse as the new gay fraternity. I don’t know as much about sororities, but there are 19 fraternities on campus and 13 sororities.</p>

<p>Those people who are in frats/sororities are really into it. You can always see some fraternity or sorority in the UC breezeway raising money for some sort of cause. One of our fraternities, Sigma Chi, actually has been raising money for the past semester for one of their brothers who developed jaw cancer.</p>

<p>If you have any more specific questions, I can ask one of my greek friends about it. Otherwise, I hope this info helped :)</p>

<p>Walking around campus, you’d think most students are part of Greek life cause you see letters everywhere, but really it’s only about 18-20% of the student body. I was in a sorority, it was fun, I met a lot of people, it gave me things to do. But unlike big Southern schools, Greek life if not your whole life unless you want it to be, and everyone has friends in other frats/sororities and non-Greek friends. There are no sorority houses and only 7 frat houses, all the orgs that don’t have houses have suites. And while I’m not sure the stat is 80%, Greeks are definitely a lot more involved on campus than non-Greeks (not to say if you’re not Greek you can’t be really involved). The leaders of student government are almsot always Greek.</p>

<p>MiamiCane, where do all the Greek kids live if there aren’t houses?</p>

<p>They live where everyone else lives.</p>