"Grow with UC Merced"

Hey everyone! I just got an email today from UC Merced saying I am being offered the ability to forward my application over to them for free (I didn’t apply to Merced in November). I can not find any info on this program (Grow with UC Merced) and was wondering if anyone could give me any information. I am really hoping this isn’t the count me in program where I didn’t make it into any of the UCs I originally applied for… thanks for any help :relaxed:

Are you an Engineering major applicant?

https://innovatetogrow.ucmerced.edu/programs

@Gumbymom I applied business to Berkeley and Irvine and communications to Irvine, UCSB and Davis. I am scared this means I was denied from all the schools I applied too. I can’t find much info on the program

I was thinking the same thing so I checked the email and went to the FAQ. This is was they said:

Does participating in Grow with UC Merced impact my admission decision at other UC campuses?
No, all UC campuses make admission decisions independently. Don’t worry — this invitation doesn’t mean that you aren’t being considered by the other UC campus(es) to which you applied. We are simply offering you the chance to expand your options and have your application forwarded to UC Merced, as well.

https://admissions.ucmerced.edu/grow-with-ucmerced-faq

My son also got the same email and I was worried there for a moment. The thing is son was also invited to apply to the Alumni Scholarship at UCLA which we thought has a correlation but not causation for admission, so it was really confusing. I then went to the Grow With UC Merced FAQ and saw the same statement. Doesn’t mean son will get into UCLA but at least not flat-out rejected for now…

1 Like

My D got the same email and we didn’t see computer science and engineering option available to apply. Is this option available for anyone?

It sounds like instead of having your application automatically referred later in the admission cycle due to not getting into your choice UC, they are offering applicants a chance to apply earlier with no costs. The advantage is that some majors are excluded from the ELC referral program in April due to capacity limits so this might a good option for some applicants.

@happymadh: Computer Science and Engineering is a major option noted in the FAQ section but I do not have access to the email so I can only go by your statement that major is not an option?

This email is only for ELC eligible applicants.

So what’s the difference between the “Grow with UC Merced” versus the Chance-Me-In program other than the fact that it’s before the other UC admissions result?

Other people that I’m acquainted with have said they haven’t received such email and they’re also ELC. Does this mean I didn’t get into all of the UCs I applied to?

Sorry for coming off as anxious(which I am) and passive aggressive.

@LeviAru: See post #3
** Does participating in Grow with UC Merced impact my admission decision at other UC campuses?
No, all UC campuses make admission decisions independently. Don’t worry — this invitation doesn’t mean that you aren’t being considered by the other UC campus(es) to which you applied. We are simply offering you the chance to expand your options and have your application forwarded to UC Merced, as well. **

The “Count me in” program is the actual referral program and notifications go out in April after all the UC decisions are made. The “Count me in” program is not guaranteed for all majors due to capacity limits which may be reached by the time the referrals are sent in April.

@Gumbymom

We reached out Uc Merced admissions and they added CS to the drop-down of the form now. Thanks for sharing the links.

1 Like

everyone got that email