Guarenteed admission

Since I am a California resident, if I only apply to one uc, am I guarenteed admission because ucs guarenteed admission to reaidents

No, that is not how it works. California high schools students who meet certain requirements are guaranteed admission to a UC, but it is not a particular UC. Further, applying to just one UC does not increase your chances of admission there.

If you let us know your year in school and other information (like your GPA and test scores), people could answer more questions if you have them.

Good luck!

Just going off of memory from when my D was applying to school a few year ago.

If I remember correctly, if you’re in the top 9%(?) of your class, then you are guaranteed admission to a UC. Not to be confused with “a UC of your choice.” That UC will most likely be UC Merced.

ELC is if you are the top 9% of your HS class or top 9% in-state, you are guaranteed admission to a UC if you do not get into your choice UC. The default campus is UC Merced.

Once you fill out the UC application and submit, the application will state if you are ELC eligible. Even if you are not ELC eligible, you still can get into a UC but you are not guaranteed any campus.

Since the UC’s are competitive, you should apply to several UC’s to increase your chances.

even ELC is not really guaranteed anymore - there’s a space available clause.

What are your qualifications?

I do remember thinking that program was of questionable value. I assumed that most students in the top 9% could likely get into UC Merced anyway.

@arc918: UC Merced does not accept all applicants that are ELC eligible according to the data I have linked. 909 applicants were referred (ELC) and 659 were admitted in 2017.

https://irds.ucmerced.edu/sites/irds.ucmerced.edu/files/documents/uc_merced_profile_-_july_2018.pdf

Interesting, thanks for the link!