Gulf Shores

<p>We are going to be traveling to the Gulf Shores next month. I will be driving in from T-town & H will be flying into Mobile. I have no idea where to even stay? Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Perido Beach? Only staying 2 nights so don’t want to drive too far. Would like a reasonable hotel on the beach. Any ideas?
Any recs on Seafood restaurants where I can get broiled fish?</p>

<p>We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Orange Beach. We had a beach side room and it was nice. You are right to look for a hotel because I believe the condos all want a minimum 3 night stay. </p>

<p>Good luck on the broiled fish! I’m sure you can find it but I’d never had so much fried foods as when we were there last year at spring break. In fact, it was my last week of eating whatever I wanted so I didn’t try too hard for healthy. It’s now been over a year of healthy eating and I’d have to look a lot harder for those healthier options if we returned.</p>

<p>We have stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Orange Beach several times and it was great. However, most of the time, I find that it is nicer and less expensive to just rent a condo or house. Rentals are plentiful, especially before school gets out, and we haven’t had a bad one yet. Check out VRBO, to start. I have also rented off of Craigslist (with all of the general caveats associated with it–paying in person, being the main one I follow). You can even google “Orange Beach Rental” or something of the sort. Some of my friends like being in Fort Morgan where it is very quiet. Some have even bought houses there. However, it is well off the beaten path, so make sure you know where you are renting. Most people prefer Gulf Shores, Orange Beach or Perdido. </p>

<p>As for broiled fish, I don’t eat anything fried, and I have never had any trouble finding broiled fish. I can’t remember ever going to a restaurant there and not finding broiled options, though fried options are, indeed, plentiful. I would say that anything above fast food level is going to have broiled options. The Oyster House, Lu Lu’s, Cobalt–seriously, virtually any restaurant will have grilled, broiled and blackened options. Oh, and there is always the Gulf Shores Steamer. Have fun!</p>

<p>Go to [Gulf</a> Shores Alabama Vacation Rentals | Orange Beach Condos & Beach Houses | Meyer Vacation Rentals](<a href=“Gulf Shores Condo Rentals, Vacation Rentals, Beach Rentals | Vacasa”>http://www.meyerre.com/) and check out all of the condos. The site is excellent for finding a condo. You can then go to VRBO and look for cheaper rates on the complex you are interested in. All of the restaurants offer broiled, grilled, blackened and baked options. Try Mikee’s, Original Oyster House and Lulu’s for starters.</p>

<p>If you don’t see it on the menu, ask. The restaurant will usually accommodate you.
Another source for rentals: gulfshores.com This is the chamber of commerce’s website and has links for all the rental outfits.
A hotel room on the beach does indeed cost about as much as a condo, with less room. But you can check it out for yourself.</p>

<p>I can heartily recommend the Hampton Inn in Orange Beach. We spent a couple of days there last summer after the boy finished his Bama Bound session. It was very nice, and even perhaps a notch above what is already a uniformly high standard we continue to be impressed with at each stay.</p>

<p>As far as food, we did go to the place ran by Jimmy Buffett’s sister. It was… Okay. Nothing amazing. We also ate at Mellow Mushroom (has become a bit of a tradition to frequent them in each locale we visit) and it was fantastic, as usual.</p>

<p>Good luck, enjoy your trip. You will love it. I was so very pleasantly surprised with the beach and the general area. I was expecting an experience akin to Myrtle or Virginia Beach, and my expectations were exceeded.</p>

<p>Buffett’s sister’s place is Lulu’s. I agree…I’ve been underwhelmed by the food, but I am not a seafood lover. Drinks are good, though.</p>

<p>We own a condo in Perdido Key and i am going next week… Most restaurants have grilled options … we like Cosmo’s, Fisherman’s Corner, Doc’s… Shipp’s Harbor</p>

<p>I would try and get a condo much nicer than a hotel… ty vrbo or homeaway.com…</p>

<p>Lulu’s is an experience not to miss. Go there during a busy but not packed time. A crowd is sort of part of the experience. Its really not all that when its dead. </p>

<p>If you end up in Pensacola for any reason, go to McGuires Irish Pub. Its a local institution, and one heck of a chop house.</p>