GW Regular Decision 2023

@516spg Don’t take it personal. My kid had a little higher SAT and same GPA, lots of strong ECs, good package I thought. Denied GW and American, both notified today. Ouch! Already got into a school that accepts 1/2 as many as these two with higher SAT averages and GPA. I’m now a real believer in the concept of these schools not taking kids they think wont take them. I wasn’t believing that before today. Yeah, there are some higher stats in acceptances today, but the range is wild. Congrats, and good luck all!

hey, does anyone know if GW sends a snail mail package too?

Thanks that helps a lot:) @savedorcollege

Decision: Accepted into Biz School and Women’s Leadership Program
Scholarship: 24k Presidential, 31k Univ/Alumni (<which I believe is need-based)

Objective:
APPLIED TEST OPTIONAL
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.96
Weighted GPA: 5.082
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): Top 10%
EXTRAAA: Instead of IB/AP, my school does dual enrollment at a local college. My GPA is high because I will graduate with about 36 college credits. I got As in every college class except 1 (I got a B).

Senior Year Course Load: Physics Honors, Senior Project (like a capstone project), Leadership through the Humanities (Dual, 1st sem), Prob and Stats (Dual, 1st sem), American Government (Dual, 1st sem), Macroeconomics (Dual, 2nd sem), Personal Finance (Dual, 2nd sem), and Interpersonal Communications (Dual, 2nd sem)

Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): college where I take Dual at Dean’s List for 5 consecutive semesters, Jefferson Awards Foundation’s Certificate of Excellence, Ronald Reagan Student Leader Award, Junior Marshall for Class of 2018, Grant from South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control

Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis):
Academic Team (Captain), Recycling Initiative (Founder and Leader), Red Cross Club, college where I take Dual at Honors Program, Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, involved in church

Job/Work Experience: 2 summer internships at local Democratic party, art teacher’s assistant
Volunteer/Community service: regular volunteer at an arts center, regular volunteer for church’s community service and mission work, school required 50 per year service hours so I will graduate with 200+ hours
Summer Activities: 2 internships (shown above), church camp/missions, Girls State

Essays (rating 1-10): 8

Recommendations (rating 1-10): 8-9

Other:
Applied for Financial Aid?: YES pls give me money!
Intended Major: Intl Biz
State (if domestic applicant): SC
Country (if international applicant): USA
School Type: public charter
Ethnicity: white Hispanic (Colombian parents)
Income Bracket: middle middle-class, enough money for regular expenses but no money for college
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): child of immigrants (but white), I think SC would be underrepresented in North Eastern schools prob (and I’m not from fancy school areas of SC)

Strengths: essays, academic, interview
Weaknesses: SAT (for South Carolina are great, but I can’t compete with Northeastern or West Coast education haha), maybe extracurriculars because none of them are incredibly fancy or nationwide recognizable (but I did the best I could with opportunities I had)

Accepted Columbian 18k presidential
4.04W GPA (low, but coming from a competitive private HS on the west coast)
32 ACT
dance company, dance teaching, environmental science volunteer work, hospital volunteer

Legacy through older sister and got about the same merit as she did.
Congrats to all!

Rejected :frowning: But have some other good options, so its ok!
ACT 36
GPA 4.92/5 (weighted)
Top 5%
7 APs (max of 8 at my school)
Extracurriculars:
Student Advisory Commitee (5 reps for school), Service Learning Advisory Board (10 reps), Mentor Advisory Board (10 reps)
President of Music National Honors Society, play saxaphone in pep and jazz band
President of Speech and Debate Team (also an academic all american, received District student of the Year, reached NSDA Premiere Distinction, and ranked #1 in New England)
Member of 4 national honors societies
Volunteer weekly to coach speech & tutor at local elementary school
Cast/crew member of plays and musicals
Waitress 50 hours+ at IHOP during summer, around 15 during school year
Letter of rec from 2 teachers I am very close with, and my superintendent

Congrats to all those that did get in, and hope this gives some perspective/helps ppl out- definitely a tough year!!

Waitlisted
SAT: 1400
GPA: 4.3 weighted (predicted 45/45 for the IB Diploma)
Extracurriculars:
Model UN Secretariat
Leader of two other school-specific clubs
Forensics and Debate Member
TedxTalk speaker
Interned at a middle school during the summer helping teachers create and teach lessons
Went to a summer program relevant to major
Letter of Rec: One was from my English teacher who called me his best student of the year, while the other was from my Geography teacher who knows me and my love for world politics very well.
Other school decisions: Accepted at Northeastern, Fordham, and Clark; deferred at Georgetown EA round.

Really sucked that I got waitlisted as GW was definitely up there for me :confused:

DS Accepted SAT 1430, GPA 4.15 W, ACT 33, Several summer programs relevant to major, concurrent college classes with 4.0 EC’s ok, Varsity sports, TA, club founder.

Accepted to the Elliot School of International Affairs!!
ACT: 32
UW GPA: 3.97
W GPA: 5.0
strong EC’s
had kind of a weird essay topic, but I guess that worked to my benefit in the end
also accepted to the Women’s Leadership program in International Politics and given the Presidential Scholarship

Accepted into Elliot. I am super shocked.
IB Predicted 40/45
Applied SAT optional.

National level award for community service.
can speak 5 languages.
Congratulations to everybody that got in. And Good luck to the ones that did not. I am sure greener pastures are waiting for you.

Thank you GOD!

@tjx23 yes applied test optional. Got into Elliot.
IB Diploma candidate though. May be that’s why.

Hey congrats to everyone and does anyone know if GW sends a package to accepted students in the mail too?

@agatha26 Best of luck to you! Your positive attitude is absolutely refreshing! It will serve you well in life.

Son was wait-listed to both GW and AU on the same day. 1470 SAT and 3.88 UW GPA with as many honors an AP courses as possible. Average amount of extra-curriculars and good work experience. Very surprised to be honest. Does applying for financial aid negatively affect the application?

Yes @CCSNJ77 , both AU and GW are need aware. Sorry for your son - I hope he has options you are both excited about.

accepted w/ $20k/yr Presidential Award
SEAS (CS)
1420 SAT/3.9gpa
lots of APs/good AP scores
narrow/focused EC but very in depth
(subjectively) strong essay

@agatha26 - your attitude is amazing - no doubt you’ll excel wherever you go!

@art651 Yes, they will send a formal packet in the mail as well. My daughter got hers a few weeks after her decision. Congrats!

in the accepted email, did it state how many applications they had?

Waitlisted :expressionless:

Congrats to everyone who got in! :slight_smile: