GWU Political Communications Major

Hello! I’m a rising high school senior and I am planning on applying ED to GWU. I was wondering if someone could give me some more in depth information about their political communications major. Does anyone know if it helps to apply with that or is it super competitive (or as competitive as their poli sci and IR departments). BTW I plan on majoring in history and possibly double majoring in political communications if I (hopefully!!!) get in. Thanks!

I’m gonna be a freshman policomm major this fall. I would suggest applying for it directly then putting history as your second choice. I don’t wanna say it’s competitive because I’m not sure what the acceptance rate is for it, but SMPA is pretty small so they cap how many people they accept. It all really depends on how many people are applying for it any given year.

If you don’t apply for it now, then I think you might need to apply later to double major in it as they like to keep SMPA classes small (someone can correct me if I’m wrong) and restrict most of those classes to people who are in SMPA. In that case it would also be a lot easier to drop policomm and just do history too if you decide not to double major in the future.

Has anyone looked at what the SMPA essay prompt is this year? Haven’t started the common app yet. TIA

I haven’t looked that much into the political science degree programs at George Washington as much as I’m a business student. However, it’s quite obvious that George Washington University is a very good school for political science and located at the epicenter of our nation’s political vanguard. Our political science programs, from what I’ve heard, aren’t too far behind Georgetown. The political science major is also very popular among pre-law students and definitely a great major to give you the foundation of our political system prior to attending law school. I even had to take an upper level political science course for my major in the business school. I actually loved it and got a lot out of that class. There’s lots of politically driven students on campus, you don’t necessarily have to major in political science but is one of the more prestigious majors offered here. For example, I can tell you that the quality of professors that you’re going have access to in the political department is far better than the communications department.Not trying to put communications majors down here but just frankly saying that the political science department is in a different league in terms of curriculum design, overall qualification of professors and competitiveness.