GWU Systems Engineering?

I’ve looked into the GWU SyE program, and it seems cool. DC is a place where I could picture myself living in, and assuming it keeps its ABET accreditation (it just got it 5 years ago), should I go to the program for sticker price? The degree seems to prepare you for a lot of different things, and you can go into OR, IE, and even CS with it. For Systems Eng, I wanted to go to UVA, but it is HELL expensive (more so than GWU).

Or should I keep this newer program aside (and maybe do it for a Masters) and stick to a more traditional Eng discipline such as EE or CE? Will the ABET accreditation of the course be a problem in the future, or is GWU SyE going to keep it for the foreseeable future?

Are internships also good for the degree? It is one of the best schools in the DC area (the best for engineering, definitely), and grads seem to start making $65k out of college.

I wouldn’t worry about GW’s accreditation lapsing anytime soon. The school is putting a lot of money into its STEM programs so I don’t see that happening.

As far as internships, that’s the biggest perk to GW, and it’s not really dependent upon the program you’re pursuing. As far as the cost, that’s a personal preference as to whether it’s “worth it.” For me, I wouldn’t go to a school where I incurred more than $30K of debt over the course of the degree. It’s really hard for young adults to grasp that consequence of paying back student loans when you’re just starting out, professionally.

I was not talking the whole school’s ABET accreditation. Just SyE. Thanks!

Also is SyE a good ugrad major, or should I instead do it at a graduate level (and go more traditional EE, CompE, ME for BSc)?

I don’t think I’m qualified to answer regarding undergrad vs grad with SyE. However, what I can comment on is the fact that of all the SyE people I’ve ever met, they had a Masters in it with a different BS.

One of my kids has an undergrad systems engineering degree from UVA and has done very well with the degree.

Are the 2 programs similar (they don’t seem too overlapping to me)? UVA seems to be more rigorous with lots more math/physics in the curriculum (plus the big fat thesis, which I’m not at all keen on).

This is because I’ve seen a HUGE difference in ISyE (such as U Minn-TC, VTech, UF) programs and pure SyE programs. Pure SyE programs seem to do more with computers (unlike IE), and also making sure things run smoothly (like IE) That’s why I’m a bit edgy about VA Tech Ind. & Systems Eng (I want to get into computing/IT/consulting after college). It is very different from GWU or UVA.

Also, another thing about GWU is that I’ll get to stay home and go to college daily, since we live in NoVA. I don’t know if this is good or bad, but I personally see it as a plus.

UVA systems is in the engineering department(as is Virginia Tech 's Industrial and Systems). You have to take the same initial math, science type courses the first year as anybody else in engineering. Another son is an Industrial and Systems Engineering grad at Virginia Tech. Also a great program and he is doing very well. Lots of opportunities with these majors. Research online, visit schools you are interested in. And pick a school, engineering program that is within budget. And you also may find you may be more interested in another type of engineering or another major altogether once you get to college. So, look at schools that seem like a good fit.

Is SyE one of the most difficult degrees at GWU (I know all Engg degrees are hard, but does SyE stand out above majors like EE)? I don’t want to risk my GPA if at all I go to GWU on a newer major.

I haven’t heard any specifics about SyE at GW, but I know that the “traditional” engineering degree paths are definitely tough. Credit loads are crazy.

But, is it “the hardest?” Absolutely not. That award, I believe, it’s probably tied between International Affairs and the “pre-med” track. Both have significant attrition.