Hampshire College

<p>That was not my son’s experience in the two Smith classes he took. He described several instances when the Smith prof had to coax her students to respond to a posed question. Admittedly, both were large (for Smith) lecture-style classes, but the classrooms were filled with >90% Smithies and only a few Hampsters and MoHos.</p>

<p>yeah, i attend Hampshire and a good friend of mine who attends Smith has expressed to me a regret in not having taken more class at Hampshire. She says that the discussions are never as engaging or passionate at Smith. She is a fourth year at Smith now, majoring in Women’s Studies, and she has said that the majority of the best learning experiences she has had while at school have been in Hampshire classes. Not to say that Smith isn’t a good school, it obviously is. This is just what has been passed along to me.</p>

<p>Not doubting your friend’s experience, but that one data point most likely is not representative. I read, in “Colleges That Change Lives,” that a a boy from NYC attending Clark remarked at the school’s diversity, noting that he had never met gay students until he enrolled at Clark. I have no reason to doubt the boy’s veracity, but his experience as reported is hardly representative.</p>

<p>Agree with foolishpleasure’s point about avoiding generalizations based on limited experience. Daughter’s only disappointment in what was otherwise a terrific visit was the class she attended. Largish for Hampshire (approx. 35 students), participation by only 3 or 4 of the students, even those students had to be coaxed by the prof. Daughter said prof seemed to be pleading with students for feedback at certain points. Really paled in comparison to classes she has attended at Marlboro, Bennington, and College of the Atlantic. We were told that this was not representative of the great majority of classes at Hampshire (which raises the question why they sent her to this class, but I suppose that’s another topic), which are small and very participatory, and I think my daughter is accepting that. Her reaction to the class was one of disappointment that she did not get to see what she was told and believes is the “real” Hampshire, rather than concluding that this is what all Hampshire classes and students look like based on this limited experience.</p>

<p>P.S. My daughter will be applying and, if accepted, says she will go for an overnight visit in the Spring to, among other things, attend a class or two that we hope will be more representative of the classes at Hampshire.</p>

<p>Sounds like a good plan. The overnight visit was what closed the deal for my daughter.</p>

<p>The overnight visit weekend just occurred, and our daughter apparently returned the favor done her two years ago, by hosting and showing around a few newly-accepted students. It sounds like there were a bunch of activities and class visits, so hopefully those students are now much better able to make a well-informed college decision.</p>

<p>My D went to the accepted student day on the 16th- it sold her. She didn’t feel the need for the overnight- and is very much looking forward to her single room (as only child with previous crazy roommates from trips, camps, etc. she was not looking forward to sharing).</p>

<p>We went the day before so she could wander the campus and sit in on an actual class, which she liked a lot too.</p>

<p>Responding to some of the earlier comments re: taking classes at Smith and other colleges in the consortium, I agree with foolishpleasure #20.</p>

<p>That said, my d fell in love with Hampshire on our one and only visit last summer. I was not thrilled by the threadbare facility, size or high price for such lowly facilities. We also felt that the college was preparing students for grad school, not necessarily a job after graduation. The next day we visited Smith. Wow, what a difference! For about the same costs, one could have an amazing campus, more resources, access to more sports (crew), etc. and still be able to attend classes at Hampshire whose titles REALLY excited my d. </p>

<p>So d applied to both and got into both. She chose Smith, because while she really liked many things about Hampshire, she felt that she needed more structure and had read that many freshman left after the first year because they realized they needed the structure too. I am very pleased with her mature consideration of the colleges and am glad that she will (hopefully) be able to take advantage of the consortium and fit Hampshire classes into her schedule enabling her to get the best of both college worlds.</p>

<p>I am delighted to say that my niece will be attending Hampshire this fall. It’s an excellent choice for her and it’s doubly nice that my daughter is at Smith to help her in the transition.</p>

<p>It should be an exciting new year, with a new President ([Hampshire</a> College Names Jonathan Lash as President](<a href=“http://www.hampshire.edu/news/hampshire-college-names-jonathan-lash-as-president.htm]Hampshire”>http://www.hampshire.edu/news/hampshire-college-names-jonathan-lash-as-president.htm)), a few building upgrades and some new strategic directions.</p>

<p>^^^ Very nice. Glad the search is over as the process came up a number of times at accepted student day in April.</p>

<p>A month ago, Johnathan Lash was quoted in a Washington Post article, criticizing President Obama for not working enough on climate change issues:
[New</a> vehicle rules to curb greenhouse gas emissions spark debate - The Washington Post](<a href=“http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/new-vehicle-rules-to-curb-greenhouse-gas-emissions-spark-debate/2011/06/28/AG32hbwH_story.html]New”>http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/new-vehicle-rules-to-curb-greenhouse-gas-emissions-spark-debate/2011/06/28/AG32hbwH_story.html)</p>

<p>It will be interesting to see how environmental and sustainability issues will be affected at Hampshire with Lash at the helm.</p>

<p>I’m thinking of applying in Hampshire for my undergrad.I’m from Kathmandu.so hoe does Hampshire treats to an international students and aids?i want to major in international relation and minor in creative writing and photography.i heard that it is good in creative writing and quite good in photography too.what about international relation?</p>

<p>You create your own major so you have all the resources of the 5 colleges to design the components for your IR concentration. Hampshire puts great emphasis on using the resources/classes of the founding four colleges (Amherst, Mt. Holyoke, Smith and University of Massachussets aka UMass Amherst). I have no idea of the treatment of international students but know there are a fair number according to admissions presentations.</p>

<p>Photography and creative writing are two of the most popular concentrations at Hampshire, so it is hard to get into those classes. I’m told that it is particularly hard if they are not specifically part of your Division II plan, because they want to reserve spaces first for ‘concentrators’ in those areas.</p>

<p>I don’t know how Hampshire compares to other similar colleges, but there appears to be many International students on campus. Our son initially started out being interested in International Relations/Development at Hampshire, and it seemed like there was a lot of support for that area.</p>

<p>Hampshire’s new President, Jonathan Lash, gave an excellent Convocation speech, where he welcomed students, touched on his lack of experience in higher-ed, and challenged students to work with him to ‘green’ the campus and work together in a mutually respectful environment: </p>

<p>[Hampshire</a> College Convocation 2011 Jonathan Lash by hampshirecollege on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free](<a href=“http://■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/hampshirecollege/hampshire-college]Hampshire”>Stream Hampshire College Convocation 2011 Jonathan Lash by hampshirecollege | Listen online for free on SoundCloud)</p>

<p>I particularly liked his statements about the continuing validity of a liberal arts education, in the face of recent criticism over the worth of such degrees and institutions.</p>

<p>He also got a little dig in for the other local private colleges, noting that their lawns might look a little better, but at Hampshire they don’t use pesticides.</p>

<p>We’re up for the weekend–D has class visit and on-campus interview tomorrow morning. Happy to report that the campus is lush and green, without chemicals. Doesn’t seem like it’s any the worse for the storms, either.</p>

<p>Second visit, and I have to say the place is prettier than D and I remembered. When we came in November '10, it was dreary and rainy, and the buildings looked drab–and she still put it at the top of her list/ED because she knew it’s what’s inside that matters. Came back today en famille–D, me and her Dad. We’d prepared him for the worst so he said it looked a lot better than he expected. I’d forgotten how much wide open space there is; it really is a beautiful, natural setting. Saw many students hanging around in groups, in the libraries, in the lounges, outside in the courtyards. People looked happy and D continued to say, “It reminds me of the art room” (the place at HS with most non-conformists, where she feels the most comfortable). Had several chats with students in Hampstore, lounges, at the Yiddish Book Center, etc. She’s nervous but excited about tomorrow. </p>

<p>We spent some time visiting a friend at Smith–while D loved Northampton, she didn’t feel that the “all women’s” environment was right for her, but it’s nice to know it’s close by and she figures if she gets in, she will be spending some time there, both in class and at events. </p>

<p>Fingers crossed for December 15th.</p>

<p>Good luck mothek. My D just started last week and loves, loves her classes, profs and adviser. (The food, well… :wink: )</p>

<p>I have applied there and have been considering it my first choice. However I have lately been seeing a lot of student comments posted elsewhere that saying that this is a big druggie school, hard to meet people and make friends, everybody just interested in getting high. Also, that you will see stoned students stumbling around campus and that this is acceptable.This is not why I am going to college. Does anybody know if this is true? Thanks</p>