Handy advice collection

<p>To</a> all current/past students, any tips for incoming freshman? : VirginiaTech</p>

<p>Thought I'd post it. If there's a question you've been afraid to ask here, it's probably answered there. The /r/virginiatech reddit is very active, and it's a good resource if you're looking to get opinions from more than just the 4-5 students we have here.</p>

<p>Be careful with your meal plan, I blew mine the first two months of school and ended up hungry for the rest of the semester. </p>

<p>If you decide to rush, keep your GPA in mind because I know plenty of people worked so hard to get in the frat ended up got suspended from the frat because of their GPA.</p>

<p>Go to class, it is a pain to walk through the drillfield but that’s the only way you can be successful</p>

<p>Talk to your professors (like any other colleges)</p>

<p>If you party (Friday and Saturday night), do clear up schedule for Sunday to study.</p>

<p>If you get admitted to a bad dorm, give it a chance because I got into a really hot dorm (Slusher) but here I met the most wonderful friends of my life.</p>

<p>Go to football games if you can (so sign up for the lottery tickets every time)</p>

<p>Have fun, and be a good Hokie :)</p>

<p>Good old reddit, putting the infinite monkey theorem to the test.</p>

<p>Seriously though, there is some goo advice on there. And some… questionable advice. It is reddit afterall. Basically everything I’ve read on there is pretty much true though, just be a little careful because different people have very different experiences and what works for one person may not with another.</p>

<p>And if you do have questions you don’t feel comfortable asking on here A) Do it anyway, even if you have to make a throwaway account to do it. There really doesn’t seem to be much off limits here and more posts = good. Or B) send a message to someone you see post a bit. I’m fair game and there are several other pretty regular posters on here.</p>

<p>A couple quick pieces of advice though:</p>

<p>Do stuff you normally wouldn’t do. Go to a play, or a football game, or a party, or a guest lecture, or a hike. Just get some people together and do it. You’ll be a more interesting person and have a more interesting life.</p>

<p>Leave your dorm door open when you’re in the room. First off it helps with keeping it cool, and secondly that’s the easiest way to meet people.</p>

<p>Balance. You cannot spend four years studying and be successful. You cannot spend four years partying and be successful. You cannot spend four years reading/playing videogames/anything else and be successful. Make time for fun, make time for social activities, and make time to study. If you think you’re delaying gratification by shutting yourself in the study hall all day and that you will have your fun after you’ve graduated you’re wrong. Every day should be your gradification, and college can be very, very fun. On the flip side you are cheating yourself if you don’t keep up on your schoolwork. The balance isn’t easy to find sometimes and frankly many people err on the side of academics because there is a very tangible penalty for not studying enough (your grades) while the penalty for not taking enough time to enjoy yourself (being generally unhappy or even getting depressed) is far harder to detect. </p>

<p>At some point in your first week take a map of campus, fold it in your back pocket, and just start walking around. Soon enough you’ll know all the shortcuts and paths and where everything is, but seeing everything for the first time while you have time to appreciate it is a blast.</p>

<p>There aren’t enough kitchens, but still try and cook something sometimes. At the very least grab some bread and whatever you like on a sandwich. The on campus food is amazing but if you only eat it you’ll run out of dining dollars. </p>

<p>Don’t be mean to the ducks on the duckpond. They’ll bite you and you’ll deserve it.</p>