Harder classes but a lighter schedule as a freshman?

So I’ve been told that PHYS 22000 and STAT 30100 shouldn’t be taken during your freshman year? I plan to do a lighter schedule tho, since I want to somewhat ease into it while also taking the same courses towards 2 different degrees that I’m deciding between.

This…
MA 16010 (Applied Calculus 1)
SPAN 10200 (Spanish 2)
STAT 30100 (Elementary Statistics)
PHYS 22000 (General Physics 4cr.)
13 credits

Here’s what I’m doing rn…
MA 16010 (Applied Calculus 1)
BIOL 11000 (Fundamentals of Biology 1 4cr.)
CHM 11500 (General Chemistry 4cr.)
SPAN 10200 (Spanish 2)
HSCI 10100 (Intro to Health Sciences 2cr.)
16 credits

Any advice?

Have you met with your advisor for STAR yet? That would be the best person to ask.

I wouldn’t take General Physics before completing Calculus 1.
Why are you taking applied calculus btw? It doesn’t match your interest in Physics for engineering… I assume you’re a would be pre-med, so you must remember: slow and steady wins the race. It’s a 4-year marathon, not a mad dash. The best way to shoot your chances is to overload tour first semester.
Take Calc 1, Spanish 2, General Chemistry, English or sociology, and Intro to Health Sciences. You’ll be very busy already.

Its always nice to learn the math applications, actually. If you are interested in engineering/bioengineering applications, the applied calculus is fine. The idea that doctors need lightweight mathematics is going out the window and door, as medical schools now want mathematics majors, given the math applications to cancer treatments, imaging, etc.

For Engineering, pre-med, etc, OP shouldn’t take Applied Calculus (= light calculus for business) but the full Calculus course. If there’s a Calculus for Health sciences then by all means take it.
Applied Calculus is fine for business majors.

“I wouldn’t take General Physics before completing Calculus 1.”

The Physics mentioned is an Algebra based Physics. I am curious as to what you eventually hope to do. I agree with @momofsenior1, talk to your advisor. If it’s an applied medical field you are interested in then your current 16 hour schedule makes the most sense. The Biology and Chemistry will be prerequisites for other courses you will need. The Calculus, Physics and Statistics can be taken just about anytime. Others have mentioned engineering/pre med. I don’t see where you have. The courses you have listed will not be sufficient for engineering. They might be adequate for the Polytechnic Instititute. It would be very difficult to transfer to engineering at this point anyway. Good luck.

What 2 degrees? What is your current college?

It’s hard to provide good answers within it knowing this,