Harvard Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

Is there a parents FB group either for Class '25 or Harvard College? I joined one called “Parents of the Harvard Class of 2025” but exited when it did not appear to be legit.

Short Answer 3 – Tied this into working on the farm and the history/future of American family agriculture. “Playing the farm card,” my dad dismissed it, but he had to acknowledge that it was unique. 8.5/10 or 9/10.

This part of your background reminded me of an interview we had with a Harvard Law Review student wanting to work at a IB. Very impressive on paper and obviously accomplished. Was the top finance student at his Midwest public U. He also rode a combine on his father’s farm each summer. My fellow interviewer, a HLS alum, asked him about the economics of the farm, price of a bushel of corn, and weathering economic cycles. The guy grasped at answers and basically said he just rode the combine and took his mind off things. You show quite a bit of depth and breadth with your activities. Congrats and best wishes.

2 Likes

Thank you, we will be accepting Dartmouth.

2 Likes

Thank you!!

Thank you. Dartmouth is a great school, our daughter is graduating from there this summer. I was a little concerned about whether it was acceptable to accept the offer from Dartmouth and the waitlist offer also. But it sounds like it’s ok. We didn’t go through this w/ our last one. She just knew she wanted Dartmouth.

1 Like

My girlfriend got accepted into Harvard, and I still can’t explain how. She is an international student who requested aid, SAT optional, very low TOEFL score, good ECs and valedictorian (of a very very small school). We’re astonished and of course, extremely happy!

2 Likes

Harvard has to fill a 1,600 piece puzzle. Congratulations to your girlfriend! Sounds like she was a puzzle piece they needed.

4 Likes

Daughter rejected Harvard accepted REA Stanford.
1580 SAT, estimated top 5 or 10% class rank at a known college prep school.

No one should feel bad about a rejection as there’s a very large pool of qualified candidates and it gets close to random as why one is selected and another isn’t.

1 Like

Great choice !! Congrats. You will not regret it.

1 Like

Yes. You accept the offer by the deadline. And accept the waitlist. If you get off the waitlist you withdraw from your accepted school losing the deposit. You can not have two accepted offers at the same time but wait list is fine.

And Dartmouth is a great school. Hanover is a cute little town.

2 Likes

My daughter loves Dartmouth and Hanover. I think my son has been following in his sisters “footsteps” for so long, he is looking at charting his own course, if he can. He is in a great position either way. Thank you for the response.

Son was rejected but got into Brown (ED/Deferred).

2 Likes

Let’s look at the results;

Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences Claudine Gay wrote in a Tuesday press release that the College chose to admit a full class despite the 349 students accepted to the Class of 2024 who deferred their admissions.

2 Likes

If Harvard did not choose to admit a full class its acceptance rate would have been 2.72%, just too scary a number.

1 Like

Interesting HYS are admitting full classes notwithstanding deferrals. Yale’s acceptance rate drops to 4.62 percent amid record applicant pool - Yale Daily News

“Approximately 20 percent of the class of 2024 elected to defer admissions for a year and join the class of 2025 — a significant increase from the 3 to 4 percent of students who typically elect to take a gap year prior to matriculation. Despite this increase, the admissions office did not extend fewer offers of admissions to those who applied during the 2020-21 cycle.”

"The University plans to matriculate around 1,700 students from the early action and regular decision application rounds, University spokesperson E.J. Miranda told The Daily in January.

Those students will be joined by the 378 frosh who elected to take a gap year for the 2020-21 academic year, meaning that the Class of 2025 is expected to be around 400 students larger than usual."

P chose to limit this years admits. Princeton admits record-low 3.98% of applicants in historic application cycle - The Princetonian

“Due to over 200 students formerly in the class of 2024 requesting to defer their enrollment by one year over the summer, the total number of admits is around 20 percent lower than it would otherwise be in an ordinary year.”

But not surprising. At least to me. I’ve been saying that all along. The scary part is what the acceptance rate would have been if they had not accepted a full class.

2 Likes

Surprising Princeton chose to limit its admissions. Guess they did not want to mess with issues related to physical and academic resources.

I think its by design that Princeton’s number came out just below 4%, which gives them bragging right of being another school along with H to have an acceptance rate below 4%.

You are right, Ski, that they did accept a full class, which does surprise me. It is still true that there are no extra spots at the College, which is something that you did not and do not acknowledge, though you are very quick to point out they took a full class. I wonder where they will house the extra first-years? Whether they will extend the dining hours at Annenberg? If they will add gen ed classes? Whether they will create an extra house out of overflow housing? 350 extra students in one class is A LOT. I also think that very, very few students will be accepted from the waitlist.

But the deferrals would still mean impossible chances to get off the waitlist at HYS, right?