Harvard Class of 2027 Official Thread

No interview for us too. Atlanta.

1 Like

our child (ma) had an interview request around two weeks ago. it went well and lasted about 25 min. kiddo was seriously questioning their decision to ed2 elsewhere, but ultimately decided not to switch the ed2 to rd. que sera, sera.

4 Likes

Does anyone know how the “athletic” section of the admission evaluation works? Our applicant was watching numerous TikToks/YouTube videos of previously accepted students who read their admission file and report back to current applicants. One thing that kept coming up was getting a (1-6) eval in athletics - is this really an area that applicants are evaluated? What if one has zero athletics listed anywhere on their application? (Not really concerned, but have time while waiting for RD decisions, so curious about all of the admission info out there.)

Unless you’re a recruited athlete, I don’t think that athletics score matters much. My kid probably had the lowest score possible on athletics, and still got in on the basis of academics, personality, and most importantly, ECs.

NOT TRUE. Harvard interviews for international students are selective. No interview as an international = straight rejection.

1 Like

except for UK applicants.

Yes. Forgot to mention it sorry.

1 Like

Your 2 sentences are not mutually exclusive, nor do they make my statement untrue.

One should really learn to say things like, “I have a different opinion” rather than “you’re wrong.”

1 Like

Your statement was blatantly wrong. Not right. Untrue. Or however you want to call it. Interviews for international applicants are NOT based on availability.
It is not a matter of “I disagree” but a matter of “you are wrong”.
Best

Curious, where are you getting your info from? This is what Harvard’s website says regarding interviews for international applicants:

“Our interviewers abroad are graduates of Harvard who offer their assistance on a volunteer basis. While we try to make interviewers as widely available as possible, it will not always be possible for a student to have an interview. The absence of an interview will not adversely affect your candidacy.”

1 Like

Hello! I am an international applicant from Spain. Do you think I can still get my interview by the end of this month?

An athletic rating of 1 is typically reserved for recruited athletes and would normally be pre-coded on the first reader’s evaluation sheets. Unlike other evaluation areas, where a rating of 4 is usually lethal to a case, an athletic rating of 4 is considered neutral. This rubric is from a number of years ago, but it unlikely to have changed in any substantive way:

1 Like

Thanks. Our applicant spends 25+ hours a week at their sport. They won’t continue in college. I was wondering what kind of score they would get since it takes up so much time and doesn’t leave much time for other ECs.

Consistent hard work and devotion to any activity is a positive character marker, but if a high school athlete is not recruited through the official mechanisms for a Harvard sport and, thus, rated a 1, an athletic rating of 2 or 3 is very unlikely to be the reason why the candidate is admitted. At the same time, a rating of 4 (no interest in athletics) is unlikely to be a negative factor in any way.

From the SFFA suit against Harvard (note that when they refer to “athletes,” they are referring specifically to recruited atheletes):

2 Likes

Hopefully they get credit for the years of hard work. The sport has been exhausting on all fronts and our applicant is ready to retire. It took so much time, I am hoping Harvard recognizes the dedication, sacrifice and time commitment.

3 Likes

Based on the lawsuit documents there is so much info available on how Harvard reads and rates applicants, and it is clear athletic commitment at the non-recruited level is counted, but it isnt as significant a determiner of outcomes as the other areas(academic, EC, personal). So it’s not that it won’t “count”—it will—but it is just one part of the application. There are so many kids who have “done it all” and get overall 2 ratings(about 4% of the applicants if I recall correctly), and yet almost half of that very select group are rejected.
Just looking at kids who “just” spend 20-25 hrs a week on athletics(or an EC, art, whatever) is likely not rare at all in the application pool given the data available . Doing that and having tip-top academics, plus top personal is rare
i.e. the 4%
yet still close to half do not get in. It is a very difficult hurdle to get into these schools without a hook. Every thing they have done helps and is noted for sure, it is just hard . I say that as a parent who has over-analyzed all the stuff my D brings to the table for her list of similar-level schools! Hang in there and best of luck .

1 Like

Exactly. It was certainly not easy to balance the requirement for academics then go to practice for hours. Add on top of that, Covid and it’s been a really interesting 4 years. I have gone over the Harvard lawsuit information but what made me think about it was their interview. The only thing the interviewer wanted to discuss was our applicant’s sport. Everything kept coming back to the sport. At this point it’s out of our hands and to some extent, comes down to luck.

1 Like

Good luck. Both my nephews go to Harvard so I think it’s possible. Two brothers getting in is pretty hard. So there is a chance for your child- sports and arts show a lot of effort, community if team sports, dedication, etc.

3 Likes

Any internationals here who got an interview?

Hi! I am still waiting
 Fingers crossed.
I asked another international student from Spain Who is currently un Harvard about his interview ( I also live in this country). He told me that he got his interview request on the 20th of February last year so there is still Hope until next week:)

4 Likes