Harvard Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

I thought I’d take a minute to share my high school stats;

I was accepted EA (I have not committed)

GPA: 4.88W
SAT/ACT: 1516 / 34
APs/Honors: 5 APs and 1 Honors
Extras: President of the Student Gov’t, varsity athlete (2), Key Club, National Honor Society, tutor, TA at the middle school, Habitat for Humanity, babysitter, and volunteer work at 4+ organizations.
Legacy Status; 1 parent, and 3+ extended family members.

To everyone whose still waiting, I have faith in you and I hope in the spring you see an acceptance letter!

4 Likes

Congratulations!!! Thank you so much for sharing. Could you add your state/region and pronouns/race/demographics and what your interview was like. @AMB16

1 Like

Oh, you’d be surprised at how many academically high-achieving students are also very high-achieving, accomplished musicians, so much so that it’s become a stereotype. Unfortunately, for many of them, it is STILL not enough to overcome the incredibly high bar set for admission for certain applicants. That being said, my kid reported that some of their classmates in prestigious precollege music programs, who chose not to go to conservatory or music schools, were able to gain admission to tippy top or T20 schools.

2 Likes

As an aside, Harvard, among other schools, has revamped their music curriculum to increase diversity and access. Even 10 years ago, the curriculum was geared mainly to the type of high achieving conservatory prep student, who tend toward the white and wealthy. I am not sure how these changes have affected admissions. The orchestra and ensembles still need well-trained classical musicians (as well as jazz and other genres) and if majoring in music the traditional path is still possible. One hopes the new attention paid to those with different musical backgrounds is reflected in admissions to at least some extent.

3 Likes

MA/Middlesex County
She/Her/Hers
Latina - My adoptive family is white.
Private schools, until middle school and just senior year.
My interview wasn’t too stressful. That says a lot coming from me, since I tend to always get choked up during interviews. They asked me first about my own views about myself, how my friends and family would describe me, my strengths and areas for growths, how would I be as a future roommate, what I like to do, and where I want to see myself in the future. It didn’t feel much like an interview, more like getting to know someone over coffee. They would write down things I said that they felt were significant or grabbed their attention.

There are no real tips on how to have the “perfect” interview. My best advice is to be yourself.

3 Likes

Is it normal for an alumni interviewer to ask for test scores? Mine emailed me and said that I should have my AP scores and ACT/SAT/SAT II in front of me while I interview. Thought it was a bit strange.

Just realized this is early action…I applied RD, oops!

1 Like

It’s really depends on alumni. The guy who interviewed my DS asked him to bring his resume if he had one.

2 Likes

Thank you :blush: