Harvard vs. Georgetown

Hi all,
I was just accepted to Georgetown and Harvard. As an international student, this is amazing. I have not been given my financial award yet due to some missed deadlines with my documents, but I anticipate Harvard being a full ride, and I don’t know about Georgetown since it says they have limited financial resources for international students.
I got into the School of Foreign Service for Georgetown, and at Harvard I plan on concentrating in Government with a focus in International relations, a minor in Mathematics, and maybe some other joint degree programs which I still have to explore.
Can you give me some pros and cons for this decision? I’ll just say that cost is a hugely important factor for me, in addition to involvement, community, diversity, supportiveness, and academic rigor. I of course did my research and I am leaning towards Harvard, especially because of their financial offer. But Georgetown would also be amazing for the field I would like to major in (I’m talking about their Hillternships and other stuff). One thing that leads me away from GTown is their religious affiliation, which I don’t know if it is very important among undergraduates.

Please let me know about any pros and cons there are about both schools. It would be greatly appreciated!

Harvard with a full ride seems to be an amazing option. The name carries huge weight especially for an international student. Congrats.

4 Likes

I am a huge fan of Georgetown SFS, but as an international student who will almost certainly not be able to stay in the US after graduation, Harvard is the better bet b/c 1) much better name recognition globally; 2) financial aid- Harvard’s is one of the most generous going; it it is unlikely that Georgetown will be able to match it and 3) you will be able to get great summer internships from Harvard (you have to work at it though, no matter which one you attend)

Note that Georgetown’s religious affiliation would not be a problem.

5 Likes

thanks a lot!

I am usually one to suggest weighing a lot of factors, but I would say as an international student with plans for a career in diplomacy, a degree from Harvard might be a bit more of an asset for you. And with a full ride, it’ll be hard to say no.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.