Has anybody seen the documentary 'good hair' by Chris Rock?

<p>I've seen the film. I enjoyed it, probably for amusmants sake. But the point of the film isn't reached by many. The film just shows how we as a society put beauty before everything including ethics..</p>

<p>But really, some bits were really amusing....haha.</p>

<p>That gave me a second thought about putting relaxer in my hair…but I’ll probably go ahead and still put it in LOL. (considering how ridiculously thick/curly/unmanageable/crazy my hair can get it really helps).</p>

<p>I have never had a perm/relaxer and I don’t plan on ever having one. I love my hair natural and my friends and family love it as well. Its just my personal taste I guess. I take pride in never having a perm. :)</p>

<p>I was permed when I was six. Long before, I could know anything about its pros or cons. If i was to go natural now, I would have to lose all my relaxed hair.:frowning:
However, I still am pleased that I actually wear my own hair and not a weave or a wig. I remember, after the Don Imus- Rutger girls scandal—was it dateline or NBC that gathered a group of black women together to talk about their responses to the issue. And as, these women talked about black pride and beauty they were all wearing wigs. Yikes.</p>

<p>■■■■■…i never knew weaves existed until…Tyra Banks…(and maybe Oprah).</p>

<p>@nil: you son’t have to cut off your relazed ends totally if you want to go natural. there are two routes (the big chop as you suggested) and transitioning slowly (trimming off your relaxed ends as you go all natural) which is what I am doing now and its not that bad…and I don’t do weaves, but I do braids, which help with the transition:)</p>

<p>I thought that Good Hair was okay only because I thought that the hair show parts were unnecessary and looked like it was filmed with a low budget, just my $.02 :)</p>

<p>EVERYONE… I think i have found the solution to relaxers:</p>

<p>BRAZILIAN HAIR STRAIGHTENERS. 100% keratin. Makes ur hair shiny, straight & soft. And it doesn’t grow out…it fades out so it’s a lot more “natural” and it doesn’t damage/kill your hair.</p>

<p>I’m transitioning as well (and pretty much done), sandra_ny2011. It’s fun, nil. You oughtta try it out.</p>

<p>@eastafrobeauty: Ehh…my hair’s kinda coarse now that it’s 100% afro. Don’t think a Brazilian Hair Straightener would work. And though it may seem more natural, I’m skeptical on the merits of anything involving heat. Plus, it involves formaldehyde. Don’t know when that became safe.</p>

<p>brazilian hair straighteners- hook me up with that!</p>

<p>I think I might go natural after I leave for college. My mom might never let me go natural,you know.</p>

<p>Nil, nil, nil. Don’t do this to me, please. At least consider some of the more natural alternatives. </p>

<p>[url=<a href=“http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=68885]This[/url”>http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=68885]This[/url</a>] is an awesome thread. At least read it before you submit entirely to the idea of allowing your mother to make all your hair decisions for you. The Natural Hair Documentary link is, in my opinion, a wonderfully refreshing viewpoint for young women with African heritage like us.</p>

<p>If it helps, my mother did not want me to go natural. My father recoiled in horror at the idea of having a daughter with natural hair - “how will you get a husband?” he cried - but honestly, it’s so fulfilling to be able to be free of your hair, to work out whenever you want, and to be comfortable with yourself as you are (and by this, I mean without having to spend >=$50 to get a relaxer because someone insists it’s what you need).</p>

<p>yea…i just felt it alienated blacks who have do have longer natural hair.
myself for example, i am black but my hair is past my shoulder down to my boobs.
its all mine, yet people constantly think its fake.</p>

<p>^Are you speaking with relation to the thread I provided?</p>

<p>And I’m truly sorry that you’ve had such negative experiences. Natural hair gets a bad rap all around, short or not. :(</p>

<p>Maybe Soledad should make hair the subject of her next “Black in America.”</p>

<p>@ksarmand-- Yups its in relation to your thread.
Yea she definitely should lol.</p>

<p>The thread I provided was for people who had just done their big chops and have hair prone to a lot of shrinkage (4b/4a), which generally does not grow extremely long in the short period of time most newbies have been transitioning. Sorry. :(</p>

<p>[Hair</a> Types on NaturallyCurly.com](<a href=“http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types]Hair”>http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types) –> Perhaps this can better aid you in determining which forum might be of assistance.</p>

<p>^ haha i’ve been on there before. My hair type is something in between a 3b & 3c…yet i still put relaxer in it( but my hair is just too FREAKING THICK & OUT OF CONTROL THOUGH)…but i haven’t put relaxer in my hair since…september…so i can manage perfectly without relaxer. BUT i HAVE bought a ridiculously amazing hair iron/straightener that’s made up of 100% ceramic (it’s called AMIKA, btw) and it makes my hair really SOFT and shiny…and it doesn’t smell (like it’s burnt) i LOVE it! hahaha</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>hahaha this only started happening to my when i started straightening my hair…a lot of black people would say…well…just this one gay/overly feminine black kid at school would scream out…“is ur hair fake”??! LMAO.</p>

<p>But as a somali…i don’t have hair that’s as nice though…because typically somali ppl have very, very soft hair…(my brother & dad have straight hair though :[ ) (i inherited the hair from my mom)…but once one of my somali friends that covers her hair…took of her hijab during a gym class once…and these two white girls started whispering to each other wondering “is her hair fake??!” just because it was really long , straight & soft hahaha…</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Now, I’m not criticizing you in particular. However, what on earth is hair that’s nice? I think my napps are very nice.</p>

<p>^As do I. My natural hair gives me a boost of confidence. I know its weird but it makes me feel special. </p>

<p>Does anyone use Miss Jessie’s? Its very expensive but it works and I can’t find anything cheaper that makes my hair look as good. If anyone uses something different please share.</p>

<p>my hair is pretty mad. Even with the relaxer in it- its ( i hate this word) kinky? When I grab a bunch of my hair and stick it up-- it stays up. My hair falls to my shoulders, it’s thick, black , healthy and i absolutely adore it. Even though my mother relaxes it every other month or so -its still got frizz. To be honest, ksarmand; I never really thought about my hair very much until lately. afew wekks ago My mother accidentally burned my scalp with relaxer- (bruises) ergh. But, I will go natural when I have the time to think about it more and phase it out because, honestly, i don’t think I can deal with my hair natural. (it’s alive!)</p>

<p>My hair never bothers me. Unless I twirl it around my fingers or bun it I never mind others touching my hair and whatnot. I excerize or run with it because I never knew about messed hair or cared. I think wearing hair in braids is the best but I rarely ever get it in braids lately,</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>My hair lives as well. If relaxing makes it easier for you, then so be it. When I realized that I was spending an absurd amount of money and time on my hair, though, I decided to go natural (and short :)) to spare myself some grief. Best of luck in your hair journey.</p>

<p>lmao.</p>

<p>My daughter talked to me last year about cutting her hair. I think it was early in her freshman year. Her hair was relaxed and past her shoulders. Incidentally, she didn’t start getting relaxers until she was in the ninth grade. </p>

<p>Anyway, since she is in DC, I figured she would be able to find a hair salon and told her I’d foot the bill. Early on she cut her hair to shoulder length. By last summer, she was determined to do a big chop. I didn’t like the idea, but I’d be walking the hypocrite path, as I have been wearing a cropped cut for about 10 years.</p>

<p>I did want to make her understand that short natural hair required a lot of care also, and in my opinion, it would actually require more care, because her hair is so thick and dry.</p>

<p>Well my 19 yo sophomore did a big chop this past October. When she came home for Christmas, I took her to my salon and had my guy show her how to take care of her hair. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. Anyway, I think she looks just beautiful.</p>

<p>It’s growing out now and its fun watching her deal with it. I noticed when we picked up her up last week, there were quite a few young women with short natural cuts and many growing out their natural locks.</p>

<p>I think what happened was, the ladies had every intention of getting their hair done a regular basis, but it was time consuming going to the salons. </p>

<p>Bottom line, do what makes you happy. I was initially apprehensive about my daughter cutting her hair, but she is an adult (!) and it’s her hair. The best part is now my mother will quit ragging on me for cutting my hair and focus her attention on frowning at her granddaughter. :D</p>