Has anyone from the Fall 2012 term received their Financial Aid Package?

<p>I recently received an package in the mail containing a purple folder with housing information and a check list.
Within the check list, it lists that Financial Aid Packages will be sent March 1st.
This package was post marked March 9 (Friday) and I received it March 12 (Monday).
I'm wondering if maybe the school sends out Fin Aid Packages throughout the month?
I was accepted to Whittier with a 21k John Greenleaf Whittier.
My enrollment depends on the amount of aid they give me. From what I hear, Whittier provides good aid! But I'm a bit scared about the long time it's taking to receive my Aid Package.</p>

<p>I'm an out of state student (Chicago, IL), but I was born in Los Angeles,CA. I hope Whittier provides the opportunity for me to return to my native state.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone!</p>

<p>Hey! Congrats on getting in and for the scholarship :slight_smile:
Whittier College provides such amazing aid for the accepted students, since only about 1,500 kids attend.
I also got in, with the same 21k scholarship and I received the purple folder about a week ago. I haven’t gotten the financial aid package yet either, and I live in Southern California about 1 hour away from the college, so I wouldn’t worry so much about it. It’s probably being shipped now :slight_smile: Just make sure you’ve sent in tax forms from the IRS if you used fafsa.</p>

<p>Once again congrats on the acceptance! Who knows, if we attend we may see each other on campus. Wouldn’t that be neat! :D</p>

<p>I received my package! This is what I got, if you don’t mind comparing:
Total Cost of Attendance: $55,200</p>

<p>Greenleaf Scholarship: $21,000
Whittier Grant: $6,430
SEOG Grant: $4,000
Pell Grant: $5,550
Work Study: $2,500
Whittier Loan: $2,000
Fed. Direct Sub Loan: $3,500
Fed. Direct Unsub Loan: $2,000</p>

<p>EFC to satisfy the 55k: $8,220.</p>

<p>I’m not sure on how to take this. It’s the first financial aid package I’ve received so I don’t know if it’s good or not? I didn’t send in my tax forms, I wasn’t aware they were needed. ): But I did submit my Fafsa! If we do attend, I sure hope we get to meet! The stories we would say, “We met through College Confidential!” :D</p>

<p>Congratulations!</p>

<p>No matter what college you are considering, please be careful in comparing financial aid packages, it can cause hard feelings because even if your EFC might be the same, financial aid packages can differ based on family circumstances and financial situations. Know that the student loans that you are offered should increase each year, though the cost of attendance will likely increase, though colleges are trying very hard to keep the costs down. Finances should be a major consideration in making your college choice. </p>

<p>My son is a freshman at Whittier,who also received a scholarship, but it was the overall package of the school that helped him choose Whittier over UCLA, Occidental, USF and others. Academically, the small discussion based classes appealed to him. He knows he’s going on to graduate school where teacher recommendations are very important: and what better recommendation could anyone get than that from a professor, who is his advisor, who he will have worked with for 4 years, who also happens to be the department head? The ability to play collegiate sports with welcoming coaches and the many student organizations for his diverse interests were also a big factor. </p>

<p>So, wherever you go don’t just consider the finances, but whether you can see yourself enjoying yourself during those downtimes when you aren’t studying.</p>

<p>My daughter applied early and got her financial aid package in February. We have a high EFC but still got help from this college.</p>

<p>John Greenleaf Whittier 19k scholarship
Perkins loan 2k
Federal Work Study 1.5k
Fed. Direct Sub Loan: 3.5k
Fed. Direct Unsub Loan: 2k</p>

<p>Based on the financial aid packages we have received, we can afford tuition at the privates she applied to. The major problem right now is finding a way to afford room and board.</p>

<p>Because of proximity, Whittier makes the best sense for us right now.</p>

<p>PS: Whittier College is in the downtown area of Whittier that has an old downtown feel. I like the cozy area. But don’t forget this is still LA. 10 minutes in any direction gets you into regular LA suburbia (ie all the perks and its seedy side included.)</p>

<p>For those of you that have seen Whittier (I’m currently in Chicago, and I have never visited Whittier), do you think jobs in the area are fairly available for college students?
Seeing as how I’m going to California all the way from Illinois, my parents can’t afford to help me get a car my first year, maybe not even the second.
I have a the University of Illinois Chicago giving me a good offer; it’s 4,000 dollars cheaper then Whittier; and I would have a car here.</p>

<p>I desperately want to return to California! In honestly dislike Chicago, and I can’t see myself being happy here any longer. For my entire High School life I’ve been looking forward for College, in hopes that it would open the door needed for me to return to California.</p>

<p>However, with my financial aid package received from Whittier, I would just be making ends meet. I will have paid everything off; and the only problem I have is earning money for my own personal expenses throughout the year. Since I don’t have a car, I am hoping job opportunities are available near walking distance. I fear my work study will not be enough throughout the year. ):</p>

<p>Or do you think I should just remain in Chicago, where I can safely have left over money for personal expenses? In my opinion however, I feel Whittier is worth the extra couple grand. Not only is it located in California, but it’s a private college where I can associate myself more closely with my peers and professors. Does anyone have any tips? My heart is set on going to Whittier, but my mind is telling me to save money. In the end, I can afford both, but I will obviously have to work harder for Whittier! Something I am willing to do!</p>

<p>Thanks again!</p>

<p>I am also from the east coast (NJ) and got a 27k/year scholarship from whittier. LA is very close and i guess it could be problematic for internships without a car but I’m sure someone could give you a ride since most students are from around the area. Also, Whittier college has a rent a car service that you can use if you have a license, so you won’t have problems. </p>

<p>P.S. LA is way better than Chicago. You’re gonna love it there. It’s been my dream to go to LA ever since i was a kid (want to work in film), so with all the money ur getting from Whittier, I wouldn’t pass it up!</p>

<p>@thesanchize ; if it’s too much to ask, what else did you receive in your financial aid package? :open_mouth:
So far, it looks like it will be 24k per semester to attend Whittier. Subtract the total aid from that, it’s around 6k out of pocket for the semester! If I can find a job and take a loan or two, Whittier appears to be very affordable!</p>

<p>Do you guys know anything about Whittier’s academics? Is it up to par with other schools? Is it reputable? I’m a bit worried about going to a college that future employers have never even heard of.</p>

<p>Thank you! I’m very close to sending the deposit! But I’m still a bit scared! :O</p>

<p>@jeyrensocal I didn’t qualify for financial aid so the 27k is all i got, but the academics and the school is simply what you make of it. If you are smart and outgoing, you are only competing with 400 students in your class for top-level internships and job opportunities. People also like to see Whittier on a job application because it is different and unique (a student at the school who works with Kanye West told me this!) There are very successful people at Whittier who are outgoing and take advantage of all the opportunities that it has to offer. I got into more well-known universities such as Pepperdine and Loyola Marymount, but I chose Whittier because of the scholarship and the fact that I can achieve more because of the small school.</p>

<p>I submitted my deposit and housing application! I’ll be going to Whittier! Thank you so much for all the replies! I’m very excited about beginning my college journey and I’m sure Whittier is the place to be.
Any idea how the social/night life is? I’ve done some research, but for the most part it’s pretty unclear to me. Some people state that Whittier get boring after a while, and that traveling to find things to do is a hassle.
I don’t see how this could even be possible! Considering everyone lives on campus for the most part, I’m sure EVERYONE is busy doing something! With the beach, Disneyland, Uptown Whittier, AND ALL OF LOS ANGELES at your disposal, I don’t see how anyone could possibly be bored!</p>

<p>Don’t worry! Whittier College is pretty well known (after all, Nixon attended lol).</p>

<p>I don’t attend Whittier, but my younger sister does and she loves it there. In fact, she was able to get a job at the student health & wellness center right in the beginning of her freshman year. She worked there all year and liked it there a lot, plus she’s paid a decent amount. They really do go above and beyond to get students work-study. During orientation, they allow you to sign up for interviews for work, so I wouldn’t worry about that.</p>

<p>In terms of their academics, I’d say they’re up to par with the other privates around the area. My cousin repeatedly says it’s a good school, plus they give out generous financial aid packages. </p>

<p>I was in Davis last Friday (I’m transferring there from a CC), and I was speaking to an academic adviser and I mentioned my sister attending Whittier, and he definitely knew about the campus and said it was a good, small liberal arts school.</p>

<p>I’m also a strong believer that you make college what you want it to be. If continuously say it’s boring, then you’ll be bored, but if you join clubs/work/make friends, I don’t see how you can be bored. You have to take advantage of everything the school has to offer! You definitely don’t want to graduate and ask, “What if I could’ve done more?” </p>

<p>Good luck! :)</p>

<p>Edit: Also considering it’s such a small school, you get to know your professor more. All of my sister’s professors have known her by name, so you definitely don’t have to chase after them, in hopes of getting to know them. It’s more personal, which helps with things like academic counseling from them, or advice, or even a letter of recommendation!</p>