Has anyone heard about scholarships yet?

<p>I see the worksheet under the Hokie on the admissions page has been linked. I wondered if this meant anything?? We didn't receive anything but I wasn't sure if they have even gone out yet. </p>

<p>DD2 received an email Friday saying she had been awarded the Dean of Engineering Scholarship 9or some similar name). 5K! - we were honestly schocked as we were expecting nothing.</p>

<p>Are you instate or out of state? Mind me asking her stats?? We are dumbfounded our daughter hasn’t received a dime in scholarships… it’s making all of this very very difficult. </p>

<p>We are also frustrated with the lack of any kind of merit scholarship. We are in state. My son has a perfect ACT score, 2230 SAT and 4.3 GPA. We are very disappointed but will still probably choose Tech as it is a great school and still a great value.</p>

<p>Fortunately, VT is filled with a significant amount of bright, exceptional students. Unfortunately, this makes it impossible for all “qualifed / deserving” students to get honors or scholarships. Hang in there, it is a great school.</p>

<p>I think with most large public universities, funds are tight, and it really is hit or miss if you get any. My son is OOS, but has a double (both my husband and I) going for him ;-). We pretty much expected he’d either get nothing, or something nominal. He got $6k for one year. His stats are good, but for COE, it’s not like he’s at the tippy top of the heap, so I have to believe the double legacy did it. NC State, nothing. U of MD (our in-state) $4.5k for 2 years. U of Del, $10k/yr for 4 years (but they’re about $10k more expensive than any other OOS option we considered, so its a break even…). UMBC, where he <em>is</em> at the tippy top of the heap statistically – NOTHING. His stats are better than our neighbor’s son, who got a full ride there (but for a different major…). <shrug> If you’re in-state, VT is a tremendous value. U of MD is also a really good value for us in-state, but he really dislikes the campus/town … and its too close to home; the $ is enticing, and if we didn’t have the resources to send him to VT, it would be the choice and he’d have to suck up the sub-optimal campus experience. </shrug></p>

<p>DD2 has a 4.5 WGPA, 1850SAT, NHS, captain of 2 sports, is a legacy, OOS and received 5K from VT. Older daughter had similar stats, currently in 3rd yr at COE but never received any funds from the school. So we attribute the scholarship offer to the fact that we’ll be paying two OOS tuitions next year and some kind soul took pity on us and gave us a bit of a break. </p>

<p>The assignments to honors programs and scholarships is really unpredictable. Would love to hear the conversations going on in the admissions office when decisions are made. </p>

<p>Bennie… I am happy for your daughter… but got it say, it kinda sucks for mine… she is 4.8 WGPA, 4.0 UWGPA, 2060 on her SAT, NHS and captain of the track team. She didn’t receive a penney!! I guess the legacy thing makes that much more of a difference. Her last two report cards the kid had a 4.92 and a 4.96. </p>

<p>crazymom - The 5K is not renewable and so it really is only $1250 a year, if you think about. Frankly, even without the scholarship, I think VT has to be one of the absolute best values around- even for OOS kids. </p>

<p>You seem to be hurt that your daughter didn’t get the recognition that you feel she deserves and I get that. I’m sure you are very proud of all of her accomplishments - she sounds like a great kid. There will be lots of opportunities ahead of her and she’ll be rewarded for her hardwork. </p>

<p>@Bennie… I appreciate that… And yes, you are correct. I am hurt by the lack of recognition. I feel like the world we live in today is just so very different from the one I grew up in. The political correctness makes me absolutely crazy. It’s no longer about who does the best job, it’s about being “fair” and being correct… I am old school I guess. In my world, the one who crosses the finish line first wins the race. You don’t take the medal and give it to the one who came in last just so it’s fair. I’ll get over it. Now I just have to help this kid make a decision regarding the next 4 years of her life! </p>

<p>That whole "being ‘fair’ " thing helps kids who come from families that aren’t familiar with the college process/experience (first generation/low income students) and so aren’t talked to and prepped about college life or how to even get into college. Their parents didn’t go to college, so how can the kids be expected to perform on the same level as ones who come from an educated background? The upbringing is drastically different. It’s not exactly right when the ones who “cross the finish line first” are normally ones who have guidance along the way from parents who have been there and done that, while the ones coming in last may not have had any of that. Just because they couldn’t get the same numbers, doesn’t make them inferior. I’m sorry your child didn’t get the recognition you wanted her to get, but having great stats doesn’t entitle her to anything especially when the college race gets more and more competitive every year and commitees/boards try to look past surface achievement. She’s smart, she sounds driven, and apparently has a lot of family support. She’ll be fine. </p>

<p>@crazymomof4 I understand where you’re coming from, but OTOH, perhaps your expectations about scholarship $ were a bit skewed. There just aren’t many big public universities like VT that give out lots of scholarship $ … like VT, they tend to concentrate the $ in a few big awards, and then try to spread the rest around as best they can with small, nominal awards. Your daughter’s stats are very good, no question, but relative to the field against which she’s competing, they’re not tippy top. She probably could have gotten “big scholarship $” elsewhere, at a private school … but it’d all come out in the wash anyway because they’re so much more expensive … and at more selective schools, it would have been a roll of the dice whether she even got in. I have friends who are really shaking their heads over their NMF kid with 2300+ SAT, 4.0 UWGPA, 8 AP classes, tons of EC’s, and a legacy at Cornell <em>who didn’t even get into Cornell</em>, much less get scholarship $. So what’s the point of all her hard work? She is SO well prepared. She has built herself a great foundation, and VT will be such a springboard from which she can launch herself into so many different great opportunities. Good luck to her – she sounds like she will do fabulously wherever she goes.</p>