Has anyone heard from National Hispanic Scholar Yet?

<p>I was wondering if any of your counselors have notified you guys about national hispanic yet. thanks</p>

<p>Are GCs required to notify a student that he’s being considered for NHRP?</p>

<p>My ds received notification from his school counselor last week that he qualified for the program. He had to sign a certification. So schools are being notified about this recognition and if you think you qualify, you should contact your school.</p>

<p>Yes, though they are supposed to notify students, some GCs are not familiar with the program and may let things slip.</p>

<p>^ My GC never notified me, and I ended up asking them about it out of curiosity after reading about it on CollegeBoard. They said I didn't get it, but then the GC at my next school told me I had. Very confusing, but yes, some GCs completely drop the ball and are clueless about the scholarship. If the scores seem high, ask around and be pushy about it.</p>

<p>There is no scholarship, just recognition.</p>

<p>I thought NHS would be notified in Sept?? Class of 2010</p>

<p>NHRP is a two part program. First your name is given to colleges to alert them of your status as a National Hispanic Scholar. As others have mentioned, many colleges actively go after those students. Second, many schools treat National HIspanic Scholars similar to National Merit Finalists and award them anywhere from $1000 to full-tuition scholarships. According to my son's college counselor, there is no central listing of colleges who offer scholarships. A search on CC as well as google indicates that Universities of Kansas, Arizona, Indiana, Illinois, Baylor, Ohio State, Knox College offer very good scholarships to National Hispanic Scholars</p>

<p>Here in California for the class of 2010 you had to have a 183 on the PSAT (which is much lower than in previous years). If you have a gpa of 3.5 you are listed as a scholar and a gpa btw 3.0 and 3.5 lists you as Honorable Mention. </p>

<p>So if you qualify, do the research to see if there are schools out there who will give you the money to go to a college you might otherwise not think of in the mix. My DS has now added Ohio State to his list which also gives a National Buckeye Scholarship to out of state students with a SAT score of 1220 (1600 scale) of $7200. This award can be combined with the NHS award.</p>

<p>Please see the main NHRP thread for links to info about state cutoffs, scholarships, etc."</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/640730-national-hispanic-recognition-program.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/640730-national-hispanic-recognition-program.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Yes, I already was notified by my HS counsellor that I was being considered for it.</p>

<p>I took the PSAT as, well, that - a Practice SAT that I shouldn't worry much about. I got a 199.</p>

<p>Were you notified specifically about NHS?? My D received paperwork for NM but not anything about NHS.</p>

<p>i dont remember if i designated Hispanic on my PSAT or not... and i qualify as a hispanic (1/2 puerto rican).</p>

<p>Do you think it's too late to contact college board to make sure i'm being considered for NHRP? I know that i can notify them about it but i'm not sure if it's too late since they don't mention a cutoff date.
it says:</p>

<p>"Am I still eligible for the program if I took the PSAT/NMSQT but did not designate myself as Hispanic/Latino?
Yes. Ask your high school counselor to request the appropriate nomination form by sending an email to <a href="mailto:nhrp@collegeboard.org">nhrp@collegeboard.org</a>. "</p>

<p>it's not too late for this hopefully?</p>

<p>^ Well, uh… you have the information right there to ask them if you still can. Might as well try, even if you do end up being too late.</p>

<p>The GC in my son’s school notified him about a month ago that he qualified for the NM. He got 202 on the PSAT and I was wondering if he would also qualify for NHRP. We have not heard from the GC about this.</p>

<p>NHRP cutoffs vary by state and year, but a 202 is likely a qualifying score. You may not have heard if the GC isn’t familiar with the program, or if your S didn’t mark Hispanic on his test. Give NHRP a call, another student did about a week ago and was able to be designated an NHRP scholar. See this thread:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/640730-national-hispanic-recognition-program-2.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/640730-national-hispanic-recognition-program-2.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Thanks! I just asked him and he said the GC notified him before the end of school. He just came back home. He most likely won’t be a semi-finalist for the NMS (he got a 202 in the PSAT) but to be commended is great enough.</p>

<p>My guidance counselor informed me that I qualified this past May. I had to fill in some paperwork.</p>

<p>i qualified and ill probably a scholar in the fall, but i want to know if this looks very good for colleges, especially the very selective ones(like is viewed as well as NM), or is it it more like say…national honor society . I think i was the first person my GC ever had who was qualified because the way she told me about it, it sounded like she didnt know much about it, so in turn, i dont know much</p>

<p>Lightsout,</p>

<p>Look at the thread on this topic with the list of colleges that give merit money for National Hispanic Scholar. You will see that there are some very good schools on the list. It is my understanding that National Hispanic Scholar is looked very favorably by colleges. Indeed my ds is starting to get invites to visit some colleges on thier own dime. Congratulations. If you need more info about the NHRP and Hispanic Scholar status, read both here and on collegeboard.com</p>