Has College Admissions (at "top" schools) Become Unsustainably Competitive?

BTW, the Summer Science Program (SSP), listed at level 7 used to list the colleges where the attendees went to. Out of 72 students each year:

2017: 46 (HYPSM) + 6 (Caltech) + 3 (Oxbridge)
2016: 42 (HYPSM) + 2 (Caltech) + 2 (Oxbridge)
2015: 41 (HYPSM) + 3 (Caltech)

Of course, some of these students might have had accomplishments at higher levels too.

For RSI, listed at Level 9, 76% of the alumni went to HYPSM, 3% to Caltech.

1 Like

This will be my last post on this topic per skieurope’s suggestion, but you misinterpreted what I said. To me a person who was borderline at Stanford but rejected and ends up at Vanderbilt means to me that the system worked, not that it failed. And that would still be true if you flipped those admitted and rejected. In both cases the students ended up roughly where they belonged.

There is a large overlap in terms of talent among each notch of school (and for that matter, there is a great deal of talent in state flagships as well). IMO, @1NJParent explained it extremely well, but it seems you didn’t like that explanation either.

Surely we can find a better word than “belonged”. That’s what the HS kids believe- that the Val belongs at Harvard, the Sal belongs at Columbia, and the #3 in the class “belongs” at Northwestern. The stoners belong at community college and the kids in the middle don’t belong anywhere so they head off to random state school to major in nursing (yay) accounting (double yay) or History (losers for sure who will spend their lives flipping burgers.)

Real life is so much more nuanced.

5 Likes

How about “best fit”?

2 Likes

I apologize if I misrepresented what you said. What I think you said was, “to a large extent, those excellent students end up at the level where they belong.” And that more students are being rejected because “many more applicants aim higher than they should.” And that if a student “met/exceeded the admission expectations of the school, they would have been admitted.” What did I get wrong? Because, IMO, none of these statements are remotely accurate, and @1NJParent’s comments don’t clear them up at all.

The disconnect is when one moves from one’s perception of the quality of the college (based on distribution patterns, historical reputation, acceptance rates, or whatever) to a judgement on the “quality” or “excellence” of accepted students versus rejected students. There is too much overlap in qualifications between these two groups to reasonably conclude that most of the students end up where they belong. In other words, large percentage of those admitted to Stanford are “borderline.” They don’t “belong” at Stanford any more than thousands who were rejected.

2 Likes

In my own family- one cousin ended up close to home because a parent was about to start chemo and needed the extra help for the younger siblings. Another family member went off to an “uber competitive” university- for SURE not the best fit, but the best financial deal and there wasn’t a lot of flexibility in the family budget to pay for the “best fit” which was more expensive. And still another family member turned down the “Best Fit” because it wasn’t affordable, went to the “worst fit” but still got a great education and was launched.

If the grownups stop using “best fit” or “Dream College” or terminology like that- maybe the HS kids will pick up on the fact that not everyone goes to their dream, best, most beloved- and that’s ok. How many of us (children of the 60’s and 70’s) went to our dream college???

2 Likes

When cost differences are a major consideration for the (vast?) majority of college applicants, it is hard to see how those students would end up attending their ideal “best fit” college based on the admissions criteria outlined above.

2 Likes

I suspect more than today, at least amongst the parents here that came from higher SES families.

For most (prospective) college students, “fit” is mostly defined by their cost constraints. Only within their cost constraints do their academic and other college admission credentials, or their academic and other preferences, matter in choice of college.

2 Likes

The words “excellent”, “high achieving”, “qualified” can be used to describe many students, but that doesn’t mean these students are equally “excellent”, “high achieving”, or “qualified” . Some of them are more so than others in one area or another (e.g. the prior discusion on math competitions showed that some students are vastly “better” at math than even most “excellent” math students). The same thing is true with colleges. Not all colleges are equally excellent. Not all courses with similar sounding titles are similar in content. A cursory glance wouldn’t reveal their differences.

2 Likes

I think the key point here is “expectations of the school.” There’s nothing that says that those expectations are academic in nature, or that very high caliber rejected students could have been academically “better.”

The word I have issue with is “exceeded,” which implies doing more of something or better at something. The thing that separates for the most part are intangibles. It’s not more things, it’s different things.

As an anecdote, I know a student who was accepted to Harvard and Yale, but rejected by Stanford. I think we can all agree that when it comes to “eliteness” tier, they are all equivalent, as evidenced by all being included in the acronym used to represent the “top,” HYPSM. If decisions were meritocratic, based simply on academic achievement, he should have been accepted to all three or rejected by all three. They aren’t though. He didn’t have an intangible that Stanford values.

2 Likes

That would be true only if the three schools received applications from exactly the same students and had exactly the same number of spots to fill.

We were asked not to get back into math contests, so I won’t.

In your previous post you insisted that I needed to focus on distributions of “academically ‘better’ students” and that the distributions of these students at various schools “likely overlap each other (sometimes significantly).” So by your methodology, these overlaps represent students who are roughly equally qualified, do they not?

If so, then the overlapping students at Duke, UCLA, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Williams, Harvey Mudd, and a host of other schools (even supposedly lesser schools) are roughly equally qualified to the overlapping students at the supposed tippy-top schools, even though many of these students may have gotten rejected from a supposed tippy-top school. If that is the case, then the pool of “equally excellent” students is much larger than any one college could possibly admit, and there is nothing inherently “more so” about any the overlapping students (at least not academically) whether or not they attend Princeton.

Again, not my issue. I am talking about students, not colleges.

Let’s go through each part:

to a large extent, those excellent students end up at the level where they belong

Apparently I need a better word than “belong”, but I meant that application outcomes were highly predictable, even when it comes to highly selective schools. I have talked about why and won’t rehash it.

more students are being rejected because “many more applicants aim higher than they should.

I put most of the blame for this on colleges hiding just how much of the class is unavailable to the unhooked kid “who only has” near perfect GPA, SAT scores, and is captain of the basketball team. She might think she is competing for 1600 spots, when in reality it is closer to 600.

And that if a student “met/exceeded the admission expectations of the school, they would have been admitted.”

This was in response to a statement by the OP that the vast majority of students who met expectations are turned away. But that’s because the colleges are intentionally vague about what it takes to get admitted. I agree with you that there are a lot of borderline cases, which is why I brought up Stanford and Vanderbilt in that same post.

2 Likes

I think your using “belong” and “best fit” is very telling. No need to change them or find different wording.

1 Like

Different colleges have different definitions of “merit”, even within purely academic considerations. Even CSUs, which now consider academic merit only from what can be gotten from the applicant’s academic record, do not all define academic merit the same way.

Harvard and Stanford do, 1700. This also presumes the student was on the bubble. I can assure you having seen LOTS of record, few have the accomplishments this student had. He was not on the bubble academically.

I know kids who were accepted at one or more of HYPSM, but were rejected at UC’s and other supposedly less selective schools. In this thread or another someone mentioned a student being accepted at Stanford and waitlisted a Cal State. Perhaps this year more than in the past, it seems to be pretty much a crap shoot, even for many extremely qualified but unhooked students.

Agree. And while HYSPM may be the “elite” when it comes to reputation and desirability, I’d argue that when it comes to the academic excellence of the admitted students the “eliteness tier” extends well beyond this small group of schools. I thought this was pretty obvious. But apparently not.

2 Likes

Just a reference to whether admissions to schools with ow acceptance rate is “random”. I think that people are confusing “random” with “individually unpredictable”.

When we have students who have received a prestigious award, and 50% of those who apply to Harvard are accepted, as opposed to an average of 4.5%, that is not “random”. However it means that it is impossible to predict, for certain, whether any individual winner will be accepted.

The problem is that an individual is either accepted or not accepted, and no applicant is ever 50% accepted. However, looking at any specific group, it is possible to predict that 50% of this group will be accepted.

So @hebegebe is correct in that admissions can be predicted, in that they can be predicted at the level of a group. But, at the level of most individuals, there are no certainties.

It is, however, never random, unless AOs are taking a group of applications, and tossing dice to decide which student to accept.

Another large component of any “holistic” admissions is trying to diversify the student pool. That means that many decisions are made based on the specific applicant pool of a specific college. However, all colleges do not have the same applicant pool. So Harvard may have only a single high achieving student from Wyoming for the past three years, while Stanford has has 12. Or the applicant is coming from a high school from which the last 5 who were accepted to Stanford chose to matriculate to other schools, or some other issue. Or there is the much discussed oboe player, which one college needs, but others do not

Moreover, you can have three students, all who are very similar, so selection comes down to some small thing which appeals to a certain AO, but not to another AO. It could be anything from an essay which one AO thought was good, and another did not.

It is rarely an intangible, it is simply local conditions versus global conditions. Admissions are based on “global” factors, such as most hooks, GPA, EC achievements, etc., which increase admission chances at every college. There are “local” factors which are either college specific like legacy or donor status, or dependent of the present student body or applicant pool of that specific college, or the preferences of specific AOs, or their relationship with the GCs of a specific school.

3 Likes

No one AO determines any single student’s fate. All are ultimately admitted, rejected or waitlisted by committee.

1 Like