Has the Textbook Website been updated?

<p>Is the list of textbooks from each section of the courses on MyUM updated for this year or is it still last years? Do we have to wait until the semester starts until we see the actual books we'll be using?</p>

<p>I was going to buy all my textbooks before I got there but wasn't sure whether or not the book lists were for this year.</p>

<p>I can't say for sure about the website, but I can tell you that my son planned to do the same thing his freshman year (buy early). But he didn't get his schedule till move-in week as a freshman so it's pretty impossible to do. You would need to know your exact section #. Also be careful when buying your books, as you will find that sometimes books are listed as needed when they really aren't. No need to waste money buying something you don't need......... I've also seen son buy a used book from a friend for the next semester and then the edition change at the last moment....good luck!</p>

<p>1 tcm....when did your son buy his books and did he use the website to see what he needed or did he get the books after the first class so the professor could give the kids the needed books list?</p>

<p>His 1st semester he waited till he got his exact schedule down in Miami, and then purchased at the book store and the used store accross from campus. Since that time it has been a combination of all. (Bookstore, on-line, from friends, used store, etc.) He will usually buy the "main" textbook farther in advance than any other supplements so that he avoids buying anything that he doesn't need. Books have run anywhere to a high of $700.00 per semester to as low as $100. The higher being later and being harder to find the exact books he needs as used. Probably being due to the fact that is much easier to find a basic Bio book (200 kids in a class) vs. a Virology book that only about 30 kids a year take...... Once again....good luck!</p>

<p>I concur with 1tcm, you really can't purchase 1st semester books ahead of time. The kids will receive their schedules during orientation and meet with their advisors. You may not have received your first choice classes to begin with and your schedule may still be changed at that time. You also definitely need the section numbers as not all profs will use the same textbooks.</p>

<p>This is one chore you unfortunately can't do ahead.</p>