Has this happened to anyone else?

<p>We visited Bama a few weeks ago and DH and I loved the school but DD wasn’t feeling it. It has many of the things on her list in terms of majors, rah-rah, Greek Life, beautiful campus, etc. but she didn’t meet a single out of state student during our visit. As a northerner she felt out of place and didn’t think she would fit in there. I know from this forum that there are a ton of out of state students at Bama and she wouldn’t be a fish out of water once she attended. She received her acceptance as well as a generous scholarship and we would like her to give it a chance. Are there accepted student days or weekends for honors students? Has this happened to anyone else’s kid who then felt more comfortable there later on or during a second visit? DD is planning to keep her options open and still has several schools to hear from.</p>

<p>there is some kind of capstone day after the first of the year.</p>

<p>i know you know there are over 50% out of state students. surprising she didn’t run into any.</p>

<p>Can you tell me about the Capstone Day? Not sure what that is. It really was surprising as we met a bunch of students and the Honors Ambassador we lunched with was from Alabama as well. Perhaps I should have asked on this forum if anyone’s child wanted to meet up. :confused: DH wasn’t even going to come on this visit but I insisted after reading all the wonderful things parents had to say on CC - I really felt it would be a good fit for her and a contender. Still do, and would like her to go back and visit again to see if the experience is any different.</p>

<p>[Capstone</a> Scholars Day - Undergraduate Scholarships - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://scholarships.ua.edu/csd/]Capstone”>http://scholarships.ua.edu/csd/)</p>

<p>is your daughter planning on going greek? they have a preview day for that, too, in the spring. that would probably be mostly in-state girls, though.</p>

<p>The problem with Capstone day is that many OOS are too far away to make the trek for a half day event</p>

<p>We made our first visit to campus for Capstone Scholars Day and my daughter and I both met a lot of OOS families. In fact, we met some on the plane heading out there.</p>

<p>that was weird that she only met instate students since so many are OOS. </p>

<p>Is the issue that she really has her heart set on another school? IF so, then she may be closed to the idea of considering another school.</p>

<p>Why don’t you go to an alumni-group game-watching party? Surely there is one one where nearby.</p>

<p>The enthusiasm is quite catching.</p>

<p>Interesting point TX. Thank you.</p>

<p>NYMom3Kids, where in NY are you located?</p>

<p>We went to Preview Day for sororities and there were a lot of OOS girls and moms (and a few dads). Most all of us on here that met up for dinner are OOS. I’d encourage her to attend Preview Day, and mom as well for the information meeting they have for parents. </p>

<p>As soon as the date comes out for Preview Day, make your hotel reservations! Stay IN Tuscsloosa for this weekend. You will want to be as close to campus as possible as it is a long day and night.</p>

<p>That IS weird! We are West Coasters and were there a couple of weeks ago, also. Interestingly, none of the students we met were from Alabama. LOL. We thought THAT was weird, too. The students we met were all fantastic, though. Great visit!</p>

<p>We’re from WI via NY and my son’s roommates are from PA, IL, and NC. He has friends from CA and NJ. The majority of freshman are OOS.</p>

<p>Sons’ roommates are from Texas, NY, and Maine. They have friends there from all over including Alabama.</p>

<p>What WE thought was odd was that there were no in-state students on the tour when we went this summer. Including us, there were 3 families from the Chicagoland area. We discussed it, and came to the conclusion that it might be due to the fact that people from far away can’t just pop down during the regular school year, like someone from the state can on a day off of school.</p>

<p>There may be a reason that many students that you came in contact with were from Alabama. Were they mostly “student representatives?” Were they the students that are working their way through college on a job, versus some of the out of state students who are fortunate enough to be able to attend without needing to work? Just a thought.</p>

<p>Another oddity was how clean the campus was, and SO well maintained- not at all like many schools in IL. Almost scary perfect. I kept thinking that if I dropped a wrapper on the ground, someone would come out of nowhere with a little broom and scooper like at Disney World and clean it up.</p>

<p>NaperMom, your mention about how clean the campus is reminded me of this recent article that talks about litter pick-up efforts:</p>

<p>[The</a> Crimson White | ECo addresses Marr?s Spring litter issue](<a href=“Announcements for 7/22/2010 - The Crimson White”>Announcements for 7/22/2010 - The Crimson White)</p>

<p>My son is from PA, and his roommates are from TX, Michigan and GA. He has friends from all over, but surprisingly more are from out of state than AL.</p>

<p>Same here. My S has friends from AL, but most seem to be OOS.</p>

<p>D’s roommate is from FL. Her best friends seem to be from Tx, NY, NC, CA and a few from AL. However, it was nice she has some close friends from AL as she spent Labor Day Weekend with one at her home. That is one thing I have found great about AL. The kids that live close to campus love to invite their OOS friends to come spend time with them with their family.</p>

<p>my daughters best friends are from GA, LA, OH, AL, TX, FL. </p>

<p>more than half her sorority is from OOS.</p>