Have not fulfilled the UC's A-G requirements? Should I bother applying?

<p>I just discovered that the UCs require subjects from all categories in A-G. I have them all EXCEPT for requirement F.</p>

<p>I have never taken a music or visual arts course in my life. Does this disqualify me from UC admissions? I mean I play tons of instruments and am well-versed in them as well, but I have never taken a single class which would have fulfilled this requirement.</p>

<p>What should I do? (I’m OOS by the way - I live in India)</p>

<p>You can always say that you’re planning to take AP Art History this year. I believe that’ll cover the f requirement, provided you get a score of at least 3.</p>

<p>Okay… so I have to register for it now right? Is it difficult to self-study for the exam? I’m honestly horrible at history and probably won’t be able to get any help to study for it.</p>

<p>Your options are listed here:
<a href=“University of California Counselors”>University of California Counselors;

<p>Am I correct in that if I do not take one of those options from the link, then i’ll be denied admission no matter what? I guess i’ll choose between AP Art History & AP Music theory then…</p>

<p>Also is it a problem that I can’t take the course? It is not offered at my school so I’d only be able to take the exam at the end of the year.</p>

<p>Well, there is “admission by exam” where if your test scores are high enough, you would be eligible. However, it is possible that admissions readers would see your application less favorably than if you took all of the a-g courses if you were in a school that offered all of them.</p>

<p>[Admission</a> by exam | UC Admissions](<a href=“http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/requirements/examination/]Admission”>http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/requirements/examination/)</p>

<p>Thank you for that link!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>By my calculations I have a 460 and a UC score of above 63 for each section (2190 single sitting + 790 Math II, 780 Physics).
Would you recommend that I still take AP art history? I already have a very rigorous schedule (I’m doing the IB diploma) and am not sure if I can handle studying for another subject. </p>

<p>My school does offer IB Music but it’s too late to register, so i’ll have to take AP Art Hist. Do these requirements mean that I have to take a COURSE in AP Art History or just the exam?</p>

<p>Look if there weren’t any “f” courses offered at your school, then there’s nothing to be done about it. Explain that (briefly!) in the “additional comments” section under “academic history.”</p>

<p>Same situation if the course was offered, but you couldn’t fit it into your schedule.</p>

<p>Don’t know the answer to your question about whether the exam would be enough, and I’d strongly suggest contacting the admissions office at the campus you’re applying to and ASK. (Unless it’s Berkeley . . . you might never hear back from them. Try contacting a different UC office.)</p>

<p>Okay, thanks… i’ll try to explain in additional info.</p>

<p>I wouldn’t recommend the “Admission by Examination” option if you’re applying to UCLA or Berkeley. I was considering that myself, and everyone I’ve talked to said that it’s extremely difficult to get in through that process. So I decided to just self-study Art History. You don’t have to take the class, just the AP test. And all you need is a 3.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>You can do either the year long AP art history course or get a 3 on the AP art history exam to fulfill the f requirement of the a-g requirements. (However, if you say you will do so senior year on the application but do not actually do so, your admission will likely be rescinded if you are admitted.)</p>

<p>I’m worried that I won’t be able to score a 3 though. I’ve looked at the syllabus, and having taken absolutely no history (the closest I’ve taken is Economics) or art course in the last 4 years, I think I would have to spend a lot of time to pull off a 3, which I don’t know if I can do since my current schedule is very demanding already (in my opinion). It seems harder to score a 3 than to score a 5 in a science/math AP exam.</p>

<p>I’m leaning towards registering for the exam now if it’s difficult to get into Cal & UCLA without requirement F.</p>

<p>But if I’m admitted to Berkeley and end up with a 2, will admission also be rescinded then? I honestly don’t believe I can get a 3 in the exam.</p>

<p>PS: Sorry if this post seems like i’m whining a little, totally don’t mean to come off like that.</p>

<p>If you have taken no history in the last four years, how did you fulfill the (a) requirement?</p>

<p>Economics fulfills that requirement I believe (from looking at the ucop link you provided). The schools that offer IB Economics / AP Microeconomics (I’ve taken both) list it under History.</p>

<p>Did you notice that the (a) requirement includes the subrequirement of a year of US history and a year of other history?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Oh wow… I didn’t see that either. I guess I haven’t fulfilled A or F. What should I do? I can’t take APUSH…my American history is basically at a 5th grade level. Also I find it hard to believe that students like me applying from abroad take US history to fulfill requirement A. Is this really required for all students, even those studying outside the US?</p>

<p>My son is in a similar situation. </p>

<p>He has not taken any visual arts classes in his High School in Georgia. He is currently taking an Intro to Digital Technology (year long class) as a Senior, but we do not have confirmation that this would fall under F as approved for UC A-G. </p>

<p>I have registered him for a 3 credit hour class at a local LA community college, It is called ART 201 and meets one day a week from Feb - June. It is UC transferable. </p>

<p>So you might want to find out if you can take a college class near you that would satisfy the F requirement and also be approved and transferable to a UC.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Not likely an option for this student who is outside the U.S.</p>

<p>Truust - You really need to direct these questions to the UC admissions office so you can be sure you’re getting good information.</p>

<p>This is really who you need to direct this question too. </p>

<p>[International</a> admission contacts | UC Admissions](<a href=“http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/international/international-admissions-contacts/index.html]International”>http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/international/international-admissions-contacts/index.html)</p>

<p>They are the only one who can really give you answers in regards to international admissions. The solutions most of us can offer are specific to options typically available in the states.</p>

<p>Art History used to have a relatively generous curve, but they tightened it up ~4 years ago.</p>

<p>The book is 800+ pages long. Unless you have a lot of free time on your hands, and/or have taken AP Euro/World, methinks that this would be a difficult course to study for.</p>

<p>I’d go with the Admission by Exam route. UC is understanding of those out of California.</p>