Haverford College Early Decision for Fall 2024 Admission

This is the official thread for those applying ED to Haverford College.

List your unweighted GPA, any SAT /ACT scores, and ECs. What majors are you going into?
Ask your questions, the CC community is here to help!

My D is looking between Haverford and Smith. Has toured both schools and has done specialized program visits. Loves both schools. She loves that Smith has club volleyball and disappointed that Haverford does not. She loves humanities, arts, and social sciences. Impressed with both at both schools. She’s highly independent and quirky. Loves the Honor Code at Haverford and appreciates its operation at Smith. I don’t see that a HWC is making Smith distinguishable- open to either. However, she does identify as queer so I do think dating opportunities matter and wonder about dating at Haverford. Should she flip a coin? Any help is much appreciated.

1 Like

I’m a Haverford alum and as much as I love my alma mater, I would apply to Smith. Along with all of the positives on your D’s list, I would add a huge plus for their new president (Haverford Class of ‘86). She is an incredible leader, an intellect, and a joyful warm person. From all accounts Smith students have embraced “President Sarah” in a way that I’ve never seen.

Smith seems to be on a such a positive trajectory. Read this thread Smith STRIDE questions - ED advantage or disadvantage?

2 Likes

I don’t have firsthand knowledge of either college, but maybe would be useful for her to draw up a list of pros and cons. Is travel easier to one or the other? Food options? I know both are parts of consortiums (consortia?) but they probably operate a little differently - my understanding is that the Hav/BMC relationship is really close, both distancewise and classwise, while other schools (Swat, Penn) more distant, and I imagine those in the Amherst/MHC/UMAss also somewhat distant. Another distinguishing factor - towns. Hav much closer to a major city, which could be a plus or minus. Also New England vs. Mid-atlantic. Size of campus a differentiator too. Either way both are great schools so not a bad choice but will come down to personal preferences. Good luck!

1 Like

I appreciate your feedback as a Haverford alum. She’s felt most aligned with Haverford and now I think is confused about what Smith could offer socially. But I also wonder if she thinks it could be too social and too focused on interactions with the housing system. She’s a pretty quiet, introverted young person who loves D&D and the like. Maybe it’s just a coin toss for her! Thanks for your input.

1 Like

It’s a tough decision for sure. Her dating pool would be good at HC because of the easy connection with Bryn Mawr and strong interactions with Swat. Has she reached out to any of the student ambassadors in admissions or any queer student groups? Wishing her the best of luck. Hang in there!

1 Like