Having Doubts About UWMa

<p>Hello College Confidential!</p>

<p>I am in an odd situation, and to some waiting to hear admission decisions from UWMa, my problem may sound like a non-issue.</p>

<p>I was recently accepted to the UW Madison. However, I am wondering if it is the best school for me, especially in terms of post-graduate opportunities. In specific, will Madison make me a competitive pick for selective graduate schools (Law, Med, Bus etc) at top tier schools such as Harvard, Yale and Stanford? </p>

<p>In more general terms, when it comes down to it, can a UW Madison graduate actually compete with the Harvard graduate?</p>

<p>(I was accepted to Madison before I finished filling out any other applications, and because I am an in-state resident, I can come out of the UW with no debt. I do not feel the need to apply to top tier schools if it provides me with a small advantage and a large amount of debt.)</p>

<p>I was facing a very similar situation as you last year. I had to choose between UW, the University of Chicago (ranked higher than many Ivies), and NYU. I made the decision to attend UW-Madison not only because it was much more affordable (I’m from MN), but also because I talked to many of my other friends who were graduating/had graduated and each and every one of them said how much respect their UW degrees were garnishing for them when applying to grad school. It is absolutely possible that one can attend the best graduate schools with a UW degree. If one can maintain an excellent GPA and do well on the GRE, a degree from UW can get you anywhere. </p>

<p>Best of luck with your decision! Make sure you make the best decision for you! Go where you think you will be most successful. For me, that was UW…and I haven’t regretted my decision a bit. :)</p>

<p>If money isn’t the issue I would pick an ivy or a school like MIT for engineering. Some can argue that UW has a better program then lets say Harvard, but its not only the class work its the professors and student contacts. I don’t think that you will have an problem getting into any great graduate programs being that UW is a top academic institution (you will still need great grades). I can tell you many stories about students who went to so so colleges that got into Harvard and all the top law schools. I remember going to NYU and having lunch or just sitting with professor’s and discussing topics beyond my education. When it came to getting a job it was nice to have their recommendation. It was also nice to get into NYU graduate school for computer science without taking the GRE’s because they wanted me to continue my masters.</p>

<p>UW undergrad alums do as well in business as anywhere. For med School where you go is not as important as how you do. Law firms are the most name brand oriented by far. But there are 14 law schools that are good enough for most any top law firm. Do well and no problems. And for sciences and engineering it is no issue at all. UW profs are very well connected everywhere.</p>

<p>[Where</a> the Fortune 500 CEOs Went to College - US News and World Report](<a href=“http://www.usnews.com/education/articles/2011/01/03/where-the-fortune-500-ceos-went-to-college]Where”>http://www.usnews.com/education/articles/2011/01/03/where-the-fortune-500-ceos-went-to-college)</p>

<p>Yes- UW is well known to many other institutions in many highly rated grad programs. Your ability and record will be the determining factor. You can get an excellent, competitive degree from UW that will prepare you well for any grad program. You can get to know top professors in your field and do research as an undergrad. Look at the grad programs at UW in fields that may interest you. justwaiting is from the east coast with regional biases, just as we have a midwest focus here. </p>

<p>You make lifestyle choices when you choose a college or job. If you intend to live in the Northeast you may want to experience that lifestyle. If you get in and can easily afford MIT or one of the other top schools definitely consider them. You will find out your final choices sometime in March and can decide then. </p>

<p>Some may enjoy the New York City or Boston lifestyle and will choose to be there for work. Many will live in surrounding areas and need a long commute to their jobs. Not what I would enjoy. Choosing UW for financial reasons if you intend to go to law or medical school will save money for schooling that doesn’t offer jobs such as grad schools do. It can be a good idea to change institutions for grad school. Some of the data may show a better chance of getting into a place based on the undergrad shool, but grad students choose their programs based on where they want to be as well as academic factors. btw- an overall top school may not have the best graduate program in the field you end up choosing for your major so you may want the school ranked higher in your field for grad school instead of an elite school for undergrads when the time comes.</p>

<p>The bottom line- secure your place at UW now and make your final decision when other schools’ acceptances and financial details are known. You can get deposits refunded next spring. You still have 4 or 5 months to go before you need to make your final decision. Relax for awhile and enjoy your senior year (still study hard- to learn the most and keep your grades up).</p>

<p>Thank you very much everyone. As a matter of fact, I am heavily leaning towards the UW now. Thank you all again!</p>