Hazing is still an issue

This is a story that should not be ignored.

Props to the student journalists.

4 Likes

Sad. Hazing is definitely still an issue at many schools.
Not sure Fitzgerald will be able to keep his job. Time will tell. If Jim Phillips were still NU’s AD no way Fitzgerald stays. Not sure about the new AD, but a big test of his leadership.

1 Like

Edited to add one more update to the evolving story.

Why again do we think it’s so important that athletes receive special consideration during college admissions? Oh yeah, because athletics are important for developing the moral character of our youth. It’s OK for their academic credentials to be substantially lower on average than for unhooked candidates, because athletes are our future leaders.

10 Likes

As more details emerge, I don’t see how Fitzgerald keeps his job.

The university is currently trying to negotiate with the community to build a new stadium and increase non athletic events and is being met with a lot of a push back. This doesn’t help their image.

3 Likes

I am actually surprised being local to the school and the school he represents, He would be the last coach I would think would participate in something like this.

But I only know him through the TV and local news reports.

I am sure many sport college teams have things they do to freshman as a matter of “tradition”. But there needs to be a line drawn on what that is.

3 Likes

Yeah, and that line needs to be drawn at NOTHING done to them. Athletes need to grow up already.

12 Likes

It’s the culture their in. Even pro athlete’s have the rookies carry their bags and such for them until they “prove” themselves. I am not in agreement with it. What happened to running additional laps or push ups or the like?

1 Like

It’s interesting - they discipline, now are stepping back.

I’m not sure he’d get fired because they can’t connect him (it seems). Some are trying to use a hand gesture he makes to connect him.

I wonder if this behavior goes back to his playing days ?

I’ve never been on a football team but why would someone try to dry hump or agree as a player to mash up naked vs another ?

And then there’s Huggins - more sports leadership we entrust our kids with - fighting for his job. Did he or didn’t he resign ? If he didn’t, why didn’t he say that weeks ago when everyone said he did ?

It’s amazing the power athletics has in the academic world.

Yes - money !! And not just cash now but increased applications for those who succeed.

Why else would Coach Prime, as an example, exist.

1 Like

Hazing is not unique to football and is still a problem in other sports, and in fraternities.

It won’t change until no one tolerates it anymore, at any level of any organization.

Regarding football, there is so much money in football (and college ball functions as the minor league for pro football), that I don’t see change in admission preferences, or hazing or other bad behaviors any time soon.

We know how entrenched football is when the known risk of CTE, or the significantly greater risk of ALS in football players didn’t harm the game.

The game won’t change until parents stop letting their kids play football. That’s happening in some relatively more affluent communities now, but that’s just a tiny ripple in the ocean.

16 Likes

This is absolutely sickening. Sadly, it’s stuff like this that makes me wary of boys wanting to play varsity team sports, join fraternities, or enlist in certain groups that also have some known hazing issues. Although there are certainly good actors out there (and probably the majority in team sports & enlistment groups), the trauma and its long-term effects on the victims is horrifying.

10 Likes

I mean it certainly has at the local, younger levels. Peewee/Pop Warner type leagues with lower enrollment and fewer teams, leagues switching to flag-only, teams/towns combining to field a HS team, etc. Enough to meaningfully impact the NFL and NCAA? Not yet.

1 Like

Unfortunately, sexual abuse is often covered up and sexual abusers are often shuffled around in amateur sports as much as it has been in the Boy Scouts of America, USA Gymnastics, other Olympic organizations, and the Catholic Church.

Calling it hazing is a way to tame the language around it.

Those who look the other way and excuse/cover up for sexual abusers must be held to account as much as the abusers are to eradicate the culture of sexual abuse, not just the abuse itself.

It will take decades of more consistent and more widespread public consequences for athletic talent and ability to be purged of this social disease.

13 Likes

Cut the football program. This type of behavior is the same as frat behavior, for the same reason, inherent in male single sex organizations, especially young males. To stop this you would have to place football team monitors at all times in all places. Just cut the team and staff, cut the entire program.

2 Likes

I don’t think that this behavior is “inherent” in male single sex organizations. But yes, it is common in male single sex organizations where the men have been given the message they are entitled to act this way.

10 Likes

And I believe that would bounce them from the Big 10 for all sports, so you are punishing all the teams because of the football team. They’d also lose a lot of money as Big 10 splits TV revenue equally.

Not going to happen.

3 Likes

As Northwestern football has been struggling of late, I think he’s more vulnerable now. Sad to see because I like him personally but I think he is ultimately responsible.

2 Likes

Here is a statement from the NU football team. It doesn’t say the allegations aren’t true, but that they were ‘exaggerated and twisted’. Those two words were reiterated, adding the allegations were ‘exaggerated and twisted into lies’. And later, they support the findings of the third party revies, and if said allegations did happen, Coach Fitzgerald didn’t know.

The following article cites a current player who suggests the original accuser had a premeditated plan of taking down Pat Fitzgerald.

It also goes on to cite a second unnamed former player that claims he saw the “Gatorade shake challenge”, the “car wash” as well as “other incidents in which players were coerced to do naked pullups and other things in a gym during preseason camp in Wisconsin.”

There are some who will focus on the coach. People may take sides for whatever reasons. However I’m hoping we continue to address the culture that may contribute to hazing incidents in its many forms. Holding people and institutions accountable may prevent (though not eliminate completely) future occurrences.
This article outlines possible legal consequences.

4 Likes

I would tend to believe the accusers, since it is extremely uncomfortable for the victims to come forward, and because sexually based hazing in male high school and college aged sport teams and frats is not all that unusual.

10 Likes