HBCUs for International Needing Aid

Regarding scholarships, AAMU seems to have better ones than UAH, at least for those who need full tuition or better. Of course, an international student needs to check each school to see if international students are eligible.

School GPA ACT or SAT Scholarship
AAMU 3.75 28 or 1310 full ride
AAMU 3.25 23 or 1130 full tuition
UAH 4.0 36 or 1600 full tuition

https://www.aamu.edu/admissions-aid/financial-aid/scholarships/

4 Likes

Not an expert here but UAH is auto. A&M has an app.

Then we don’t know available resources academically etc. but it could be if you put in the effort to apply, A&M could be better. Just not sure if it’s assured as UAH is.

There may (or may not) be a limited supply.

2 Likes

Both of my kids had stats well above the highest level for the full ride scholarship at Alabama A&M (3.96 UW GPA/1470 SAT and 3.8 UW GPA/35 ACT) and we have family history (my kid’s have 2 grandparents, 2 Great-grandparents, and many other family members who are alumni (Great-Grandfather also taught at AAMU as well). Some Financial aid was offered (about 10K a piece), but my kids chose full ride offers at a different HBCU.

4 Likes

@ChangeTheGame assembled a great resource of HBCU institutional scholarships here: HBCU Institutional Scholarships for Students. I don’t know if all of them are open to international students, but I have found that many HBCUs are generally fairly open to providing institutional aid to international students.

6 Likes

Thank you, @AustenNut and @ChangeTheGame!

3 Likes

According to the Instructions page for the Common Black College App - “International students please enter all zeros for your social security number and all 100000 for your CEEB Code.” -it seems like international students are also able to utilize this alternate application to apply to 67 HBCUs for a single application fee of $20.

Although this doesn’t answer directly what international aid is available, perhaps in combination with the above resources the four top choices listed on this app can be chosen wisely.

2 Likes