HBCUs: What produces scholarships?

<p>Do HBCUs in general have a strong enough financial backing to give solid scholarships? If so, for non need based, what are the scholarships usually based on?
Athletics
Academics
Geography (being from an area of the country underrepresented on the campus)
Race/Ethnicity (being of a race underrepresented on the campus)
Musical Talent
Legacy Status
Other</p>

<p>If you want a full ride from an HBCU, what is most likely to get you one?</p>

<p>Academics. Generally a strong ACT or SAT score combined with your GPA. Good luck.</p>

<p>I can only shed hear-say light on this subject. I have an African American friend who applied to Howard but she decided to attend UPenn. She said that Howard did not offer her any/much financial aid; she was clearly (over)qualified for Howard ( according acceptance statistics).</p>

<p>So even with a strong academic backing she did not receive what she called any/much financial aid.</p>

<p>But, I do not know much about need based scholarships, and I know she would not qualify for any need based scholarships.</p>

<p>She did not have any of the aspects you listed except she was strong academically and held a lot of leadership positions within HS.</p>

<p>You will(almost never) receive financial aid that fulfills 100% from an HBCU. They don’t have an endowment large enough for that.Its sad but true. There are countless stories where students say they are struggling to pay for their education.
In my opinion, the best options are PWI because most have large endowments. The experience at HBCUs are priceless though.</p>

<p>I agree, the experience of attending a HBCU would be priceless.</p>

<p>Priceless in terms of the exposure, sense of belonging, etc. But would it be worth coming out with debt? That is what we are struggling with.</p>

<p>T</p>

<p>I can only speak for Howard. The academic scholarships exist.</p>

<p>[Grants</a>, Scholarships & Fellowships - Howard University](<a href=“http://www.howard.edu/financialaid/grants_scholarships.htm#Freshman]Grants”>http://www.howard.edu/financialaid/grants_scholarships.htm#Freshman)</p>

<p>My daughter received a Laureate scholarship, which paid for everything…tuition, room, board, fees and books, in addition to a few other perks. Howard has a sliding scale as to how much you recieve based on test scores and gpa. It wasn’t based on need.</p>

<p>I can only speak for my daughter’s friends, but the bulk of them received academic scholarships, and a few had ahtletic scholarships tacked on also.</p>

<p>This is the requirement for the lowest level scholarship…The Legacy Scholarship. The other scholarships scale up with more money awarded for higher test scores and a higher gpa.</p>

<p>Criteria:
SAT= 1170 - 1290 or
ACT = 26 - 28
GPA ≥ 3.0
Or Ranked #1 or #2 in class
Award: Tuition & Fees Annual
Renewal GPA: 3.00</p>

<p>yeah, howard is legitimate.</p>

<p>Silvermoonlock- How is your daughter enjoying Howard? Any issues with the scholarship? My don received the Capstone, but decided to go somewhere else.</p>

<p>Lacrossemom.</p>

<p>My daughter liked Howard and Washington, but she ended up leaving when Howard phased out her major during her sophomore year. So yeah, she walked away from a full ride. </p>

<p>I think that Howard works well for some degree tracks, ie pre-med, nursing, business, communications - but at least in my daughter’s opinion, the Liberal Arts aspect was a wash.</p>

<p>I will say this. Those who mentored her while she attended Howard are still very much in contact with her. She has gained some great contacts and exposure because of those mentors and it has carried on to her current school with more mentors, so much so that she’s been involved with a National Science Foundation program.</p>

<p>Anyway, it’s funny to look back to when she applied to different schools and got the acceptances and decided she was in love with Howard. What a difference 2 years make!</p>

<p>^Awww! I didn’t know she left!</p>

<p>FWIW, I went to Howard on an ROTC scholarship in the seventies.</p>

<p>There are full academic scholarships available at Howard; I received one in 2010. Hampton is the only other HBCU I applied to; I received a full academic scholarship there also. I believe that if you have high SAT scores and a high GPA, then you will be rewarded accordingly. :)</p>