HBCUs?

<p>Anyone considering any? Would a full ride w/honors and other perks way you? </p>

<p>Well, I only considered Spelman. I applied and got in but I am still uncertain whether or not I will attend, not only because of their poor reputation with financial aid, but because of the general notion that HBCUs are highly anti-intellectual, and filled with drama. </p>

<p>^^^ you’re kidding right?</p>

<p>@BeStillMyHeart I’m not kidding.</p>

<p>What a nice way to denounce your brothers and sisters at HBCUs as not intellectual and only want drama. You could’ve just said financial aid and your answer would’ve been justified. HBCUs do have lower graduation rates than the Ivies for blacks, but you need to understand why that is. If you don’t wanna go to Spelman, that’s fine. Just don’t knock down others who wanna go. </p>

<p>@BeStillMyHeart Note that I was referring to the atmosphere of the institutions and not students specifically. Additionally, there are great differences between being intelligent and being an intellectual. I am actually heavily considering Spelman, and my comment by no means indicates that I don’t want to attend. My comment on the prevalence of drama on HBCU campuses stems from my own research as well as one on one conversations with alums. I never said that students at HBCUs wanted drama, simply that it has a strong presence.</p>

<p>@jkdreamers my bad. I really thought you were hitting on the sterotype that blacks are loud and rowdy. And don really wanna learn anything. This boy in my English class a month ago said something like that. I also recently saw a tumblr black confessions post about how this black ivy leaguer don’t like stereotypical blacks at his college. All of which really bothered me ( still do actually). I just don’t like internalized racism of any kind, so I hope you’re not being that way. If you don’t think Spelman fits you intellectually, then don’t go. </p>

<p>Yep…I hear your concerns @jkdreamers. I about got my head bitten off on one HBCU thread when I asked if people thought the school was as challenging, intellectually and academically, as their non HBCU top choices. Having concerns and questions about something does not mean degrading it. In my case, the concerns are based on past posts from some at this particular HBCU that they felt that there was too much emphasis on Greek Life and fashion and not enough on academics. It was also based on the average SAT/ACT scores being fairly low. Does that mean it is a weak school? Not necessarily but it did make me want to know more about certain academic aspects of the school. No different that asking about a non HBCU being jock heavy or large drinking life, etc. </p>

<p>@BeStillMyHeart with this thread, I am just wondering if anyone is considering HBCUs. There are a lot of strong students on this thread and not many, if any, are talking about HBCUs this year. I’d like to hear thoughts about why people are or are not thinking about HBCUs.</p>

<p>@hsgrad @BeStillMyHeart @jkdreamers What saddens me most is this obsession I’m seeing with getting into the so-called “top schools”. These people have been brainwashed to believe that automatically equals success and a fulfilling college experience. It simply isn’t true. For example at my alma mater (high school), I had teachers with degrees from “Ivies” and “non-Ivies” … they got paid the same, performed about on the same level. The only difference is that the “Ivies” likely got in more debt, encountered more socially challenged individuals (dull and boring) and worked overly hard for their degrees. </p>

<p>HBCUs are an opportunity of a lifetime to mature in an environment where you won’t ever by unfairly treated b/c your color. I don’t care what anyone says, most (if not all) predominately white colleges in some form or fashion discriminate against their beautiful students of color. Which is why I’m headed to Texas Southern University for undergrad … I feel the experience will prove to be advantageous for me when I finally go to a mostly white grad school and land a job at a mostly white company later in life.</p>

<p>And yes HBCUs can be overly-fixated on greek life, fashion, partying but so are PWIs (except schools w/ no greek system or very religious). The key is surrounding yourself with like-minded serious students who know how to have a good time but in balance. Side note, I will never pledge … I don’t want anything to do with the foolishness I’ve witnessed. My uncle was sent to a hospital 5 years ago pledging, I just know so many stupid things that are pervasive in greek life (or death to common sense as my mom say).</p>

<p>Nuscholar. Enjoy your choice but no reason to knock anyone else’s. There is room enough for Students who would like to have the HBCU experience and those who will choose a state school or one of those so-called elite institutions. Success can be had at all ports. However if the finances are equal not many students are going to turn down an Ivy League school to attend TSU. It’s just the way of the world and that funnel of success can at times can make a difference. </p>

<p>I didn’t knock anyone choice of what school they want to attend nor popularly held “elite schools”. However, I knocked the mentality that all HBCUs are completely inferior to PWIs and the obsession with “elite schools” as if they’re an utopia for black students and lucrative careers. Just like you said, “not many students are going to turn down an Ivy League school to attend TSU” … that’s the mentality I’m knocking @mayihelp. I’m stating facts, if anyone doesn’t like it then their just being overly sensitive.</p>

<p>I agree somewhat with nuscholar. People tend to knock hbcus just because they’re historically black… HBCUs are great academically and I believe they provide a great (if not the best) environment for black students. The academic rigor at HBCUs obviously does not compare to Ivies but a lot of that has a lot to do with the schools being historically black and lacking sufficient funding. I’m questioning whether I really want to attend an Ivy because my school’s only 30% white and yet I already have a hard time refraining myself from going off on someone’s ignorance at least three times a week… The only thing that makes me want to attend still is the fact that there’s a BSA on almost every campus of PWIs so I can form my community there. </p>

<p>Back on topic, I don’t think I’m even applying to an HBCU sadly. Whenever I talk to my dad about applying he makes a face and I can’t apply behind his back so :(</p>

<p>To knock the mentality of choosing Yale or Brown over TSU if all things are equal financially doesn’t really add up I think most people regardless of ethnicity would tell you that the choice of the Ivy League school is the pragmatic choice as long as the person is comfortable socially and financially. As stated in the above post resources matter. Also this does not denigrate any of the HBCUs I would feel the same way about a white student choosing Columbia over the univ of Houston. HBCUs are great and important schools! But you shouldn’t be saddened by students looking to take advantages of the opportunities that exist at most of the elite schools. </p>

<p>@Jellybae I honestly feel there’s a need for black students at college campuses outside HBCUs believe it or not. But my problem is the lack of respect for HBCUs and the delusions of grandeur in regards to “elite schools”. </p>

<p>And I think the success of Ivy leagues has less to do with its academic rigor but more to do with the quality of students who attend and/or their wealth/influence. For example, there’s a consensus in the “intellectual world” that George W. Bush is inarticulate and plain “dumb” for a lack of better words despite the facts he went to Ivy League schools and was President of the most powerful country on Earth. He got to where he is because of money and power, he doesn’t exude intelligence and poise whatsoever. </p>

<p>HBCUs need to figure out a way to attract more black ambitious students from these “elite schools” … that’s the key and I feel like they’re doing better at it each year. TSU really impressed me with the progress they made and are looking to make in order to keep talent like myself committed to the university. </p>

<p>@Mayihelp once again you’re misconstruing my words. So I’m clear, I’m sadden when I see black students automatically write off all HBCUs and assume “elite schools” are automatically the answer to all their needs. If some actually give them a chance, take a visit, and do some profound research … they’ll see that there’s a couple of HBCUs that are indeed a good fit for them and as result they’ll strengthen the image of HBCUs with their stellar academic record and uniqueness. If nothing else they won’t have such a condescending, classless mentality regarding HBCUs as if they’re totally worthless which couldn’t be further from the truth.</p>

<p>Look I’m only using the words you used. You said you were saddened by and that somehow choosing an Ivy like school wo considering a HBCU indicated some negative mentality or short sidedness I agree with you to a certain extant that many Black students do not strongly consider HBCUs. I know mine did not. And that they’re are many students of color who would benefit from attending these esteemed institutions like TSU, Howard, Spelman, etc…
But you would have to admit reading your post it seems that you felt that these students were somewhat misguided or brainwashed by desiring admittance to these top 20 schools. If you were a top 100 football player in Texas would you desire to attend UT Austin or Sam Houston State. If as a student you are at the top,of your class I would not consider it poor judgement to decide to shoot for an academic program that is highly ranked. You can become a great football player and make the NFL from Sam Houston but your chances are better at UT. The same academically. I’ve seen your grades you are an outstanding student who will in all likelihood achieve in any academic climate. If you had desired so you would have gained admittance to a top 20 school. No question TSU is lucky to have you and you will probably be a pied piper for other outstanding students. I believe that one can garner a great education anywhere. I wish you all the best. </p>

<p>OK @mayihelp see now we’re close to being on the same page but not quite. I don’t have a problem with black students desiring admittance to top 20 schools. </p>

<p>My problems …
1.People obsessing over it as if it’s the end all be all to a lucrative career.
2. People basing their college decision solely on computerized rankings.
3. The elitist attitude that goes unchecked from students in these “elite schools”, it’s a pervasive mentality amongst black ivy leaguers (private and public) that HBCUs are a joke.
4. I’m tired of it being the norm that high achieving students like myself get the 3rd degree for picking a HBCU
5. I have a problem with people who are so quick to denounce HBCUs but too reluctant to ever acknowledge anything positive or their benefits.<br>
6. And I have a problem with this illusion that these top 20 schools are perfect … I’m not saying all are overtly racist but I do feel generally speaking black students are not always treated the same as their white counterparts which can result in several disadvantages (disadvantages that don’t exist at HBCUs). I read online articles of black ivy leaguers validating my sixth point too.</p>

<p>And honestly, I’ve known star athletes to go to lesser known schools (TSU, SHSU, etc) so they can stand out more and get more playing time to land a professional contract. It’s a wise strategy . The competition at Baylor, Texas A&M, etc is too much for them to get their ulitmate shine on. Same can apply academically … why settle for a university where you’ll be just another face in the crowd when you can find one where you’ll be “the face”.</p>

<p>Also thanks for the kind words, I’ve been blessed with a strong desire to thrive academically and think outside the box.</p>

<p>The only hbcu I’m considering is spelman. If I had a full ride to spelman I would go if I didn’t have any from a ivy or top university/college. </p>

<p>Look I think you made a great decision for you and you should feel proud and enjoy it. Obviously you have the courage to dance to your own drums which is great. You do not need to defend your decision or justify to anyone. Nor do you need to question the motives of anyone else. Most young people will obsess over where they’re going to school in most cases it’s their first big decision. So what if somebody decides that they want to go to a school because it’s ranked in the top ten. Just like you believe that the environment of a HBCU warrants your consideration it’s fine that a student who is outstanding decides that a top ten school warrants his or hers simply because it’s in the top ten. Hopefully they’ll take the time to visit and read up on a school to figure out if it’s right for them. Young people are extremely pliable there’s more than one good fit. I would stay away from the sweeping generalizations. There is always anecdotal evidence. I’ve spent a lot of time on these campuses and so have my children. Some in places that had HBCUs within a stones throw and the attitude you’re suggesting was not in play. The camaraderie between the two campuses when it came to its students of color was palpable. Especially in reagard to the black Greek system. I doubt that you will find anything but acceptance from the students at Rice or Houston while you’re attending TSU. Hey you were a star academically so people probably expected you to do something a little more known. They’ll get over it. I’m sure you’re aware of the plethora of programs available in the sciences and engineering at TSU which are really enhanced by being in Houston. </p>

<p>I don’t see how HBCUs can do more to attract elite black students to matriculate. It would distract from their mission which is to educate a much broader array of students.</p>

<p>Nobody likes to say this or hear this but elite schools are elite generally because their students are elite and their donors are elite. Their students are usually academically, economically and/or politically elite. </p>

<p>HBCUs are not in the position to cater to that narrowly focused group and there are different needs for a group like that that go unmet when not in a significantly enriched program. Plus, more outstanding opportunities need to be waiting for these students at graduation and they just aren’t there in enough abundance to make it worthwhile to large numbers of elite students.</p>

<p>I think HBCUs do a great job fulfilling their missions and there are some areas they need to greatly improve as well. On balance, they are on point as far as focus and but they need to get away from training students for traditionally black career paths like education, social work, government work and healthcare to get students more interested in pursuing technology, engineering, finance and physics. And some schools are doing this but it’s difficult to change a kid’s focus from what he’s known and seen to steer then to something new. I think making kids wait until the end of their sophomore year to declare a major is one way to do that.</p>