help a person who has not visited Madison.

<li><p>I’m an out of state black student, planning on attending Wisconsin. I was just wondering how black students are received by their white peers. I went to a high school that was mostly white, which resulted in most of my friends being white. So, basically is the fact that I identify more with white Americans going to be a problem. I have a few great black friends, but I don’t want my social life consisting of going to Black Student Allience meetings and solely hanging out with the other members. I’m assuming that there’s a lot of self segregation at Wisconsin, can anyone confirm this? </p></li>
<li><p>Are there any African Americans in any of the social fraternities, is it much harder to get a bid if your a minority? </p></li>
<li><p>Which dorm is near the gym? Also how big is IM sports involvement? </p></li>
<li><p>public or private dorms, which one’s are better?</p></li>
</ol>

<p>I know diversity is a priority for the Wisconsin Administration. But I don't think the school attracts alot of African Americans. I have one "Insiders guide to colleges" (written by students) and there was a quote by a UWM student "Wisconisn is a very diverse place, we have all types of white students"</p>

<p>That said, it is a very liberally minded sophisticated student body for a modwestern school. I think you would be welcomed and feel realatively at home. Good question about the frats though...</p>

<p>I agree with Salem. I think Wisconsin is diverse in that it attracts students from all over the country, but not so much racially or ethnically, though I'm sure you will find a good amount of some, like Asians and Indians, for example.</p>

<p>I also think you might find the opposite of what you assume true: That, instead of blacks and whites self-segregating, you might find yourself more welcomed because you are diverse. For example, when I did an outreach program at Georgetown this summer, I almost felt a little overwhelmed at the invitations for dinner, etc., received from fellow students. When reflecting back on the reason for this, I think it was bc I was different (white, but from CA as opposed to the EC). They were eager to interact with someone with different experiences and origins as them. At my hs, there are only about 10 black students out of 1400, but they are warmly received bc people want to interact with different groups.</p>

<p>As for your second question, I would be shocked if minority standing came into play as far as pledging to a frat goes. Again, if anything, I think they'd be happy to show that they're open to all people, regardless of race, religious background, etc.</p>

<p>IM sports involvement is huge, as are pretty much all Badger sports, esp. football, basketball, and hockey. It's a "jock campus" if you will, in there with the Michigans and Notre Dames as far as school spirit goes.'</p>

<p>I don't know about your last Q, sorry! Best of luck to you!</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses, they have been appreciated.</p>

<p>vc08, I think since there are so few black gets in your high school that it would be very hard for them to self segregate, and so everyone gets along fine. This has been my experience with the private schools where I'm from. At Wisconsin though, the percentage of minorities is really small, but there are still a good amount of them-- enough to self segregate. This has been the case with one of my friend's who goes to a small liberal arts college that is not very diverse.</p>

<p>Any current students have any insight on any of these questions?</p>

<p>Definitely go public for dorms, there are rec facilities on both ends of campus, plenty of athletic activities to participate in. Greek life is at most 10% of the students, therefore not a big presence on campus. Check the UW website for activities and find a contact person who is black/African American to give you the inside scoop. I think I saw something this past year in my alumni magazine about black frats at UW.</p>

<p>Wisconsin18: I see where you're coming from. A lot of the neighboring high schools have a large % of black students, and they regularly mingle with non-blacks, but that's only my own experience. good luck with whatever you decide, I hope you find Wisconsin welcoming.</p>