Help a Rising Junior Pre-med Latina who’s very confused [CA resident, 4.0, <$30k?, pre-med]

Ehhh yes its a fantastic school, but I’ve visited a couple times and simple just don’t jive with the vibe of the campus/the amount of people from my high school who go there. Great school no hate but I’d rather invest in other safeties like UNM or CSULB

I mean, to be fair I’m like a 10 minute bike ride from my CC so I think the convenience factor of that was the reason why I was leaning there. But this thread has really helped me recognize that there are a lot of great options but a CC probably isn’t the best one for me because of my life goals, and that’s okay!!! A little scary, sure, but okay!!! Thanks :)))

2 Likes

I assume you mean priority for medical school, not undergrad.

The 10% OOS are for students who have ties to the state–they graduated from a NM high school, they have immediate family members living in NM even if their parents aren’t, dependents of military personnel stationed in the state, students who attend UNM for undergrad.

OOS students who are attending UNM when they apply to the med school do qualify for a secondary. (UNM pre-screens secondary applications on the basis of in-state residency/ties to the state.)

Native Americans regardless of where they live are considered in-state applicants.

It’s not terribly difficult to become a state resident for tuition purposes:

1. 12 consecutive months of physical residency in NM
  2. Proof of financial independence from parents if under 23 years of age
  3. Be a US citizen or permanent resident
  4. Provide 2 overt proofs of residency ( like a NM drive’s license, car registration, voter’s registration, rental agreement, residential property ownership, utility bills in the applicants name)
1 Like

You did - I apologize :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:
However… thanks to your explanation about the pathway, I’m wondering… it sounds like at your CC, 101-102 aren’t “Elementary Spanish”, since 102 = “Advanced Language&Culture”… => Does 101 have a pre-requisite, ie., are you supposed to know some Spanish before you take it? “Advanced” usually means “post-intermediate”. It’d explain why 201= Literature (which typically is an advanced, post-intermediate course).
At many universities, you take something like Spanish 101-102 (beginners), then 201-202 (“intermediate”), THEN Advanced Spanish and/or Literature. However some universities have 1, 2, 3 then 101, then 102 (which are equivalent to 201, 202 at other universities) then literature.
If your 101, 102 classes are like this, then 102 meets the requirement - your GC will have to explain tha 101 is intermediate and 102 is advanced.
AP Spanish Language is different from AP Spanish Literature, typically you need he former before the latter but AP Language is all you’d be required to take to satisfy all colleges out there if 102 is not “advanced” (but the title seems to indicate it is).

Since taking AP Stats would keep you from taking EMR, I was thinking DE Stats would allow you to have the content without sacrificing that other class (+ it’d only be 1 semester).

I don’t think Biological Anthropology would count toward your science GPA, not sure. It WOULD count toward the classes factored into your GPA for med school. So yes you could take Cultural Anthropology at your CC and Biological Anthropology in college. (Some universities even have a whole major in “Anthropology: Biological concentration”).

If you’re interested, Ethics can be taken Senior year, no problem - adcoms would totally respect that choice.

Biological anthropology will be counted as a science course if 50% or more of the content is biology related— which is highly likely given the course title.

Biological anthropology is a moderately common premed major.

2 Likes

No, it’s described as just your regular run of the mill introductory Spanish Class. There USED to be a Spanish 080, 090, 100, but they ended up removing those classes like a year or two before I started high school but never changed the course description/curriculum to adjust (there is a small note that they highly recommend a understanding of Spanish however a background in Spanish is not required.) , so everyone starts at 101 unless you have AP Spanish Lang Credit which covers Spanish 101. AP Spanish Literature doesn’t cover Spanish 201 though, just counts for elective credit. Weird stuff really, I’ve been asking around to a few upperclassmen who seem to confirm yeah-- our community college spanish pathway is just…really weird and to make note of it in additional notes section or whatever. Apparently the local CSU’ s and UC’s know and the guidance counselors are also aware of the weirdness and make sure to include it in their little report thingy, so that calms me down a bit. Thanks :slight_smile:

If you look up the community college on University of California A-G Course List , what LOTE level does each of the Spanish 101, 102, 201, etc. courses get listed as?

If you look up articulation between the community college and UCB or UCM at https://www.assist.org , what UCB or UCM Spanish courses does each of Spanish 101, 102, 201, etc. correspond to?

Example:
https://www.assist.org/transfer/results?year=73&institution=58&agreement=79&agreementType=to&view=agreement&viewBy=dept&viewByKey=26250042
https://www.assist.org/transfer/report/26250042

Ooooohhhhhhhhh okay so Spanish 101 IS equal to Spanish 201 at UCB and I’m going to assume its similar at the other UC’s. Man that’s kind of weird. Since it counts like that don’t I technically already have three years of Spanish? Will probably do Spanish 102 at my CC anyways though, just curious so I know if I could still be able to apply to schools that require three years of foreign language.

UCB and UCM Spanish course numbers are 1, 2, 3, 4 for the first four semesters (1 = beginner). Do you mean that Spanish 101 at that community college articulates to UCB or UCM Spanish 3 on assist.org? (Note: other UCs are on the quarter system, so they have a six instead of four course sequence.)

If so, does the UC Doorways site say LOTE 4+ for it?

Yeah sorry about that.

Yes it does

In other words, if you have completed Spanish 101 there, then you have “4 years” (LOTE 4+) for admission to UCs and CSUs, and can likely continue to 4th semester Spanish in college.

What do those sites list for Spanish 102?

3 Likes

Spanish 102 equals Spanish 4 at UCB and is also LOTE 4+ (what does LOTE mean?)

LOTE = language other than English

1 Like

This should be listed by your GC on your CommonApp School Profile. (UCs and CSUs presumably already know it’s LOTE4+). The UCB Spanish 201 description could be included in that report to explain it to private colleges (UCB and UCLA are well-known references).

So, yes, due to that explanation, Spanish 101 would match Spanish Level 4. Make SURE that it’s clear (using the “evidence” I listed above, for instance) because, as you must have gathered from this whole discussion, that’s not what it means a most colleges. :slight_smile:
Taking 102 would just be cherry on the cake in that case.

1 Like

Seems like the explanation could be something like “[Community college name] Spanish 101 is considered to be equivalent to high school year 4 or higher by UCs according to [UC Doorways web page] and third semester college Spanish at UCB and UCM according to [assist.org web pages].”

3 Likes

sounds perfect - clear&concise :+1: :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.