HELP!!! CAP at UT, BLINN at A&M, or Pet Eng at OU

<p>I need help I don't know what to do.
My stats were not that great I am grateful I got these offers.
23 ACT
3.4 GPA
Top 12% Texas Resident
150 Volunteer Hours
Some EC's
I've heard the chances of getting into the college of engineering at either one of these TX schools is nearly impossible. It has always been my dream to go to UT or A&M, but I am leaning more towards OU because I have been accepted into Petroleum engineering. I am scared to make a decision that I will later regret. </p>

<p>I know the HS college counselor at my son’s school would advise you to go for the guaranteed admission at OU, and I would agree. bird in the hand … I haven’t been following the PetE acceptances at A&M, but I do know that the UT offers were extremely selective.</p>

<p>On the other hand, be grateful that UT and A&M are limiting their class sizes since the oil industry is notoriously volatile. Best wishes to you.</p>

<p>I would go with OU! OU and LSU have the best facilities for Petroleum Engineering. Blinn team is unpredictable and being capped for UT may really affect your chances to be a Petroleum Engineer in 4 years. OU has a program called 4+1 where you can get your masters degree in 5 years. I would blindly close my eyes and go with OU. </p>

<p>Wow, the 4+1 program sounds great. I would also go to OU. It’s a sure thing and a great school. Texas’s loss!</p>

<p>Is it the BS in Petroleum Engineering/Masters of business administration??? Because thats the one I found and I am very interested. I am visiting OU for the first time this Friday :smiley: </p>

<p>The MBA program is at best useless and at worst a money suck which gives students a degree they’re under qualified for. The University of Oklahoma’s PE program is excellent. Come for that. Do not come for the opportunity to receive a degree which certifies you as a master of business administration despite lacking full time work experience. </p>

<p>Exactly how selective is A&M pete eng program? How many percents of applicants get accepted?</p>

<p>Dude you’re out of your mind to go to OU if you’re going for petroleum. Texas is the WORLD capital of petroleum engineering. UT Austin and Texas A&M are second to none for recruitment into petroleum. I would do CAP or BLINN and follow through with UT or A&M. </p>

<p>The only reason why its not a guaranteed acceptance is if you do bad in your classes. If you don’t think you can maintain a 3.5 gpa then yeah it’s a gamble. In that case you may just wanna go with OU. But if you’re determined to get the best grades then go for the best.</p>

<p>Said by someone who has absolutely no idea how well connected OU is to the supermajor oil companies. Almost half of OU PE graduates end up in Texas somewhere while plenty of others decide to stay in Oklahoma City or other parts of Oklahoma (note that this is often for personal reasons). </p>

<p>OU has a huge recruitment of petroleum engineering grads- trust me. I have family who works for Chevron and that is a fact. </p>

<p>In terms of transferring in…that’s pretty risky… you’re looking at time lost, money lost, and if it will be worth it in the end. If I were you, getting into OU petroleum would beat going to Blinn or CAPP when you know for the most part everyone is wanting to switch into engineering.</p>

<p>(I’m a sophomore at UH main campus chemical but switching to petroleum just for background info)</p>

<p>@bigDEEOT where are you getting your information from?..</p>

<p>"“If you don’t think you can maintain a 3.5 gpa then yeah it’s a gamble. In that case you may just wanna go with OU. But if you’re determined to get the best grades then go for the best.”"</p>

<p>The consensus is that the cut off is pretty much 3.9. If there is any shortfall in the petroleum internships and jobs UT and A&M would be the last colleges affected. OU/ Texas Tech grads would pretty much be screwed.</p>

<p>Major booms have a lifetime of 5 to 10 years. Remember you are coming in at the tail end of a boom. </p>

<p>“The consensus is that the cut off is pretty much 3.9.”</p>

<p>Is that true? Where did you get the stat from? that really got me scared.</p>

<p>I spoke on ungrounded speculation. Yall are right.</p>

<p>Going CAP or Blinn does not guarantee that you will get into engineering of any type at either UT or A&M even with a 4.0. It is a big gamble. But UT and A&M are the best when it comes to PetE. </p>

<p>denali21, if you want petroleum engineering and you got accepted to the University of Oklahoma for that major, My advice is go to OU! The alternatives of Blinn (A&M) or CAP at UT are like a grade C option against a grade A choice (OU petroleum engineering) right now. Hopefully, you visited OU. It is one of the best flagship state universities anywhere. If you graduate in petroleum engineering at OU, guaranteed lucrative job offers will come your way. I live in a DFW suburb and there are lots of students from here that gladly head north to Norman. My son almost went to OU but picked Texas Tech Honors College instead. OU is a fabulous alternative for you. </p>

<p>Sorry. My reply should have been directed to ledezmas77 and not denali21. </p>

<p>@lonestardad Thank you for the advise. I was set on OU petroleum but with the financial situation at home I might have to take the Blinn offer since the out of state tuition is too much for my parents. I talked to an admissions person from A&M and they told me the same thing that even with a 4.0 it was still not guaranteed to be accepted to the engineering school. </p>

<p>@ledezmas77 If you want to be an engineer I hope there is some way you can pull off going to OU. Blinn may not get you into engineering. Try to think long term. 10 years from now will you be happy if you are not an engineer? Obviously no one knows for sure but if you want to be an engineer do what you can to get there. Its possible the engineering salary could justify the student loans.</p>

<p>@ledezmas77, Talk to the OU financial aid office about scholarships/loans/internships/part-time work/co-ops - anything. Also look into interest free loans from non-school organizations. My advice based on my experience: Work as many hours as you can during your freshman and sophomore years, then cut back because the courses will be much harder.</p>

<p>Even though I have heard that undergraduate internships are harder to come by, my oil industry friends still see a need for new engineers for the next few years. So many engineers and geologists are reaching retirement age.</p>

<p>@lonestardad - Coincidentally, my son will be at Texas Tech (pet. engr). He didn’t know much about the Honors College until he attended a Red Raider Roadshow a few weeks ago. He submitted his application soon after and is just waiting on his teachers to submit their letters of recommendation.</p>