help! chances??

<p>Hi!,
My name is Emily and I'm from Long Island, NY and I applied ED to UM and got deferred. I was wondering what my chances are of getting in from the RD pool. I'm dyinggg to go to UM.</p>

<p>Im in AP Literature, AP Psych, AP Macroeconomics, College Spanish, Honors Math and Physics. I also took AP World, AP US History, AP Language and Composition, honors math, 4 years of Spanish, and 4 years of sciences during high school.</p>

<p>SAT:
Math 600
Verbal 640
Writing 680</p>

<p>My unweighted gpa is a 93 and my weighted gpa is a 95, obviously on a 100 scale. My school doesn't rank us.</p>

<p>Captain of varsity volleyball for the past 2 years
Captain of my club volley ball team 9-11th grade
In NHS
Work at Vacation Bible School in the Summer</p>

<p>I had a pretty boss essay and great recommendations</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>As a School Counselor, I am surprised you got deferred. Try calling the admissions office as mentioned in other threads to ask what you could do to increase your chances of being admitted. They may ask for your mid-year grades which they did not have access to for ED applicants.</p>

<p>Oh ok thank you that actually makes me feel so much better. I have been emailing back and forth with the NY rep because I had a short interview with him when I went to visit. He said to send any new SAT/ACT scores plus updated grades. I didn’t take the SAT’s again, and I’ve had mono for the past month so I’m hoping my grades stay where they should be but I missed all of January. So i sent him another letter of rec. and my updated resume because I got a job and had a few senior year things to add. Hopefully this will push me in the RD pool to get accepted?</p>

<p>Thank You!</p>

<p>I think you’ll get in. Show your continued interest.</p>

<p>Just a thought, but since UM’s rankings have increased so greatly, maybe they are becoming more selective and have a higher applicant pool also.</p>

<p>Where else are you applying?</p>

<p>I applied to Villanova, Syracuse, Boston College, University of San Diego, Loyola University, Loyola-Marymount, Marist College, Fairield University and of course UM as my 1st choice</p>

<p>I’m also surprised that you didn’t get in. I think you should be set for the RD pool just make sure you express your interest.</p>

<p>The way I read the common data set is: it looks like 55% of the students accepted at UM last year had SAT scores in the 600-699 range for both math and reading. In addition, 78% had a GPA of 3.75 or higher - you’re over that weighted and just barely under un-weighted.<br>
Agree with the other posters - continue to demonstrate your intested (visit campus and meet with people if you can); score well on your APs and keep that overall average up. I think you’ll be accepted into the RD population.
Best wishes to you!
~Zinc</p>

<p>quick question,
my 2nd quarter just ended and i had already sent my 1st quarter grades out to UM, i got mono and was out for the entire month of january and i wound up with a higher average 2nd quarter, not by much but still, considering i wasn’t in school. is it worth it to send my mid-year report??</p>

<p>I’d say yes. Keep admissions informed as you progress thru senior year, plus it gives you another reason to put your name in front of them. If you truly believe UM is the place for you, tell them that. Of course, applying ED should have told them something about your desire to attend UM!</p>

<p>ok i’ll give my guidance counselor the “ok” to send them then. yes UM is definitely the right place for me. should i have my guidance counselor or me, whoever, inform admissions that i was sick and absent for so long?</p>

<p>I’d look to others here to advise on whether I’d tell them you were ill. I guess if it were me I would, but I would only mention it casually - not make it seem like an escuse for my grades not going up more. I think I would have the GC do that. Hopefully others on this board will respond here…</p>